Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE digital in maynooth?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

hi
    has anyone able to receive the new upcoming RTE digital channels in maynooth?
    i tried tuning using my rabbit ears indoor aerial and could not get any signal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres no such things as RTE digital... If you mean Saorview, the new Irish equivalent of the UKs Freeview, then it hasnt been switched on yet; 31st October I think is the date being proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

yes saorview..its on test mode for a while now
    many of them in dublin can receive it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Oh, dunno then. Might be worth asking over in the satellite forum.

Ive read on here that a lot of TVs sold with Freeview capabilities will not work with Saorview as they use different technology. I dont know what the story is but its worth bearing in mind and checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Digital channels that will form Saorview are currently testing from Three Rock and Kippure. However, your TV needs a digital tuner that's MPEG4 capable to decode the picture. However, even with a TV that only has an older MPEG2 tuner, you should still be able to hear the audio. (I know folks are picking up Kippure digital feed fine in Prosperous and Newbridge).

If you're not picking up any stations though, your indoor aerial maybe the issue.

yes, it could be the indoor aerial from one4all brand.
    i cant put aerial in attic or outdoor one
    so looking for something portable aerial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I can receive this in Maynooth using a fairly beat up indoor aerial. Not sure of the make, but it's one that has both rabbit ears, and a UHF loop antenna. I think the latter is probably more important/relevant here, as I believe that all the digital stations are being broadcast in the UHF band, so if you just have a plain rabbit ears, it may be part of the issue.

thanks mate..i will give a try with a uhf antenna
    upstairs i get the analogue channels - all 4
    but down stairs i get zero digital channels - only 2 blurry analogue channels
    i am sure its the rabbit ears

Advertisement