Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Owners Beware

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi guys,

just a word of warning, watch out for wasp stings.
    the evil insects are dying off and are out for one last sting...

My poor little bischon Púca tried to swallow one & got stung inside her mouth this morning = allergic reaction.

Rushed to vet for antihistamines and she's feeling much better now.

Antihistamines aren't just there to reduce swelling, they also aid pain relief.
    I didn't realise it but dogs/cats can go into anaphylactic shock just like humans.
    My vet said that a dog can die within 20 minutes if their airways close up with swelling (in cases of severe reactions).

The total cost to me was a mere €37 (including tablets & vet consultation) and I'd happily pay it again!
    I don't know who had the bigger fright this morning, me or poor Púca. But I'm definitely happier now, as she's snoring beside me while I write this.
    x

Kiya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I can appreciate your worry as I was stung by a wasp on the tongue as a child when I was eating an ice pop. I haven't been a fan of wasps since. One of my dogs tends to snap at wasps. We have tried to stop her doing this to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah my JRT was stung a few weeks ago. Poor pet, he didn't know what hit him. He was down in the dumps for ages afterwards. He was grand though, it just stung his lip and I kept my eye on him. A wasp sting can be a very dangerous thing in dogs, a lot of people don't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Kiya wrote: »
    Hi guys,

just a word of warning, watch out for wasp stings.
    the evil insects are dying off and are out for one last sting...

My poor little bischon Púca tried to swallow one & got stung inside her mouth this morning = allergic reaction.

Rushed to vet for antihistamines and she's feeling much better now.

Antihistamines aren't just there to reduce swelling, they also aid pain relief.
    I didn't realise it but dogs/cats can go into anaphylactic shock just like humans.
    My vet said that a dog can die within 20 minutes if their airways close up with swelling (in cases of severe reactions).

The total cost to me was a mere €37 (including tablets & vet consultation) and I'd happily pay it again!
    I don't know who had the bigger fright this morning, me or poor Púca. But I'm definitely happier now, as she's snoring beside me while I write this.
    x

Kiya

That's scary I didn't know that. Glad to here the story had a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My dog regularly eats them. She chases them around the garden. Catches them and kills them and eats them. She's still alive so it doesn't give problems to some dogs. Still better off being on the safe side if you're not sure. We try to stop her but you can't watch her every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Neighbours dog got stung on the face there the other day, €120 in vet fees as the dogs face swelled up:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement