Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid deposit, now they want more?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

I viewed a place on Monday, was told that it was mine at an agreed amount, 500 per month. I was asked for references, which I brought to the office on Tuesday. My details were taken and I was told to pay a deposit into the company's account, which I did immediately. I then received a phonecall today saying the landlord wanted 580 a month, would I pay 530? I said no and was told negotiations were in progress. Could anyone tell me what rights I have here? Could they refuse the give me the property and refuse to return the deposit? The company has a page on Daft and I was in their office. They're not, however, registered with IAVI, and I'm currently feeling worried and foolish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

ring threshold ASAP
    http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=102

they will tell you everything you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Just because a company are advertised on daft or are members of IAVI it doesn't mean that they are not a shower of rip off merchants who will screw you over. Likewise, just because they're not doesn't mean that they will.

I hope you got a receipt for that deposit? Have you signed a lease or any other document? If so, what is the amount mentioned in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Philsopher wrote: »
    Just because a company are advertised on daft or are members of IAVI it doesn't mean that they are not a shower of rip off merchants who will screw you over. Likewise, just because they're not doesn't mean that they will.

I hope you got a receipt for that deposit? Have you signed a lease or any other document? If so, what is the amount mentioned in it?

Yeah, I realise this now. At the time I was keen to secure the property but I should have gotten something in writing before I paid the deposit.

I have a receipt from the bank. I included the address of the property as a reference. I haven't signed anything. The ad is still on daft under the amount we agreed to. I've emailed myself a copy.

I've been told by threshold to ring back in fifteen minutes, their advisor is dealing with another call.

The company told me they're waiting to hear from the landlord, but that they think he'll agree to the original rent.

I have to say I'm shocked at the lack of professionalism here but I know I've been naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Yeah, I realise this now. At the time I was keen to secure the property but I should have gotten something in writing before I paid the deposit.

ALWAYS get a receipt from the landlord or letting agent in writing (on official headed company paper, if possible) upon payment of either deposit or your monthly rent. You haven't a leg to stand on otherwise.
    I have a receipt from the bank. I included the address of the property as a reference. I haven't signed anything. The ad is still on daft under the amount we agreed to. I've emailed myself a copy.

I don't see how any of that is going to help of any help to you. They'll argue that you have nothing in writing from them and could just be picking random properties off daft.
    The company told me they're waiting to hear from the landlord, but that they think he'll agree to the original rent.

I have to say I'm shocked at the lack of professionalism here but I know I've been naive.

Yeah, to be honest, you have. Also, I'm starting to get a bit suspicious here - you agreed a figure, then they tried to screw you for more and you objected so they now reckon that the landlord will accept the original amount. Now, I could be wrong here but why do I get the sneaking suspicion that they are trying to pull a fast one and just pocket some extra cash for themselves?? :rolleyes: :confused:

What else have you not mentioned?? This whole thing is starting to sound very fishy and if it was me, I'd just get a refund and take my business elsewhere. If things are like this in the beginning, it doesn't bode well for the future. I know you are keen to get this place but would all the hassle (both now and in the future) be worth it? You might want to think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Also, I'm starting to get a bit suspicious here - you agreed a figure, then they tried to screw you for more and you objected so they now reckon that the landlord will accept the original amount. Now, I could be wrong here but why do I get the sneaking suspicion that they are trying to pull a fast one and just pocket some extra cash for themselves?? :rolleyes: :confused:

+1
    Sounds dodgy
    And if you're having issues now when they need money from you, what issues will you have in future when you are locked into a lease and they have rent up front and deposit

Get your money back and find somewhere else, no shortage of places to rent.
    And next time, you make sure you get a receipt for any money given. Get a name and if you can a landline number to since the agents will have an office. Company headed paper

• Advertisement

I have the company's bank account details and the amount of the deposit on headed paper. I have a receipt from the bank for that amount. I suppose that's circumstantial evidence.

Either it's a scam or a legitimate company acting unprofessionally. I think it's the latter.

I've been assured by the agent I can have a refund, no problem. I'll have to wait and see if this is the case.

Alarm bells started ringing when the property was still on daft, though I was under the impression that another flat in the same building was being advertised.

One thing - how could I get a receipt from the company if I paid the deposit directly into their account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Private Eye

Photo copy all receipts and anything else you have in writin they gave you, is it written on headed paper?
    Under no circumstances hand over the bank receipt, give copy only.
    Did you have witness with you when you spoke in their office?
    It is obvious they are unprofessional, assert yourself and ask for your deposit back, explain you are not interested in doing any further business with them,
    Dont sign anything with out reading carefully, and showing it to witness first.
    If they refuse, advise them you are contacting your solicitor and are exposing them to the media.
    Report the rent hikeup difference to Daft.ie, this is in breach of advertising standards.
    Then look elsewhere, *Remember to learn from this lesson, watch out for the white collar crinimals*
    Best of Luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

One thing - how could I get a receipt from the company if I paid the deposit directly into their account?

the bank will have an electronic - and paper if neccesary - record of the transaction.

if you paid it electronicly from your account to thiers you'll be able to see that on your own statement, if you paid it in cash over the counter with a paying in slip you'll just have to ask the bank.

my advice - go in hard, frighten the crap out of the agent (threaten them with the bank, solicitor, PRTB, Gardai, and the Lord God Himself) get your deposit back and run like the wind. they're absolute chancers - if they act like this now, what are they going to be like about your deposit at the end of the tenancy, or when there's water pouring through the ceiling?

if that doesn't work, just run like the wind. put the money you've lost down to buying yourself out of trouble...

Photo copy all receipts and anything else you have in writin they gave you, is it written on headed paper?
    Under no circumstances hand over the bank receipt, give copy only.
    Did you have witness with you when you spoke in their office?
    It is obvious they are unprofessional, assert yourself and ask for your deposit back, explain you are not interested in doing any further business with them,
    Dont sign anything with out reading carefully, and showing it to witness first.
    If they refuse, advise them you are contacting your solicitor and are exposing them to the media.
    Report the rent hikeup difference to Daft.ie, this is in breach of advertising standards.
    Then look elsewhere, *Remember to learn from this lesson, watch out for the white collar crinimals*
    Best of Luck...
    OS119 wrote: »
    the bank will have an electronic - and paper if neccesary - record of the transaction.

if you paid it electronicly from your account to thiers you'll be able to see that on your own statement, if you paid it in cash over the counter with a paying in slip you'll just have to ask the bank.

my advice - go in hard, frighten the crap out of the agent (threaten them with the bank, solicitor, PRTB, Gardai, and the Lord God Himself) get your deposit back and run like the wind. they're absolute chancers - if they act like this now, what are they going to be like about your deposit at the end of the tenancy, or when there's water pouring through the ceiling?

if that doesn't work, just run like the wind. put the money you've lost down to buying yourself out of trouble...

Thanks guys. I have their bank details and the amount they wanted on headed paper. I withdrew the money from a bank and deposited it in their account with the address of the property as a reference. Unfortunately, I have no witnesses, but I have two referees who emailed them. I also have copies of emails and texts I exchanged with them.

I have definitely learnt a lesson. Just because they have a nice office and are advertised widely doesn't mean they're legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Private Eye

Stay strong, demand your deposit back..
    update us on your results....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I think everyone here is gone off in the wrong tangent, what often happens the agent gets a tenant then the greedy landlord looks for a higher rent. Its hardly a scam if their using bank accounts ad have offered the deposit.

Just walk away

Dymo wrote: »
    I think everyone here is gone off in the wrong tangent, what often happens the agent gets a tenant then the greedy landlord looks for a higher rent. Its hardly a scam if their using bank accounts ad have offered the deposit.

Just walk away

Dymo, you're completely correct. My deposit was lodged into my account this morning in cash and an ad for the increased amount is on Daft. Still, it's the last time I hand over money without signing something. I'm not going to name the company as I don't think it was really their fault (greedy landlord) and they were apologetic, immediately returning my deposit. Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...I'm not going to name the company as I don't think it was really their fault (greedy landlord) and they were apologetic, immediately returning my deposit. Thanks all for the advice.

out of interest, did they say if they would be continuing to represent the LL?

LL's and agents can hardly complain when tenants don't stick to contracts - and its a big problem, with no real enforcement, the LL/agent just has to suck it up and start again - if a LL/agent behaves this way and everyone else in the business just shruggs their shoulders and keeps doing business with them...

OS119 wrote: »
    out of interest, did they say if they would be continuing to represent the LL?

LL's and agents can hardly complain when tenants don't stick to contracts - and its a big problem, with no real enforcement, the LL/agent just has to suck it up and start again - if a LL/agent behaves this way and everyone else in the business just shruggs their shoulders and keeps doing business with them...

Yes they will definitely continue to represent him. They're still trying to let this place, but for 50 euro more than I accepted it at. I'll be interested to see how long it takes them to get a tenant at that price. If it takes them more than a few weeks they'll have lost more than they gained, as I would have been paying rent immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Dymo, you're completely correct.

Thank you, sensibly you didn't name the agents before they were accused of scams and being rip off merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ALWAYS get a receipt from the landlord or letting agent in writing (on official headed company paper, if possible) upon payment of either deposit or your monthly rent. You haven't a leg to stand on otherwise.

I don't see how any of that is going to help of any help to you. They'll argue that you have nothing in writing from them and could just be picking random properties off daft.

Yeah, to be honest, you have. Also, I'm starting to get a bit suspicious here - you agreed a figure, then they tried to screw you for more and you objected so they now reckon that the landlord will accept the original amount. Now, I could be wrong here but why do I get the sneaking suspicion that they are trying to pull a fast one and just pocket some extra cash for themselves?? :rolleyes: :confused:

What else have you not mentioned?? This whole thing is starting to sound very fishy and if it was me, I'd just get a refund and take my business elsewhere. If things are like this in the beginning, it doesn't bode well for the future. I know you are keen to get this place but would all the hassle (both now and in the future) be worth it? You might want to think about it...

that is a very bad start, i would give one months notice to quit and find someone who,s word is truthful from the startthe law is on your side if you give one months notice, also you do not have to give a reason, be careful of who you are dealing with next time

Advertisement