Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing in Sydney November with 1000 euro

Options
  • 16-09-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

have a cheap place to stay, white card and all the stuff needed to work,

whats the story at the minute, will I get a job handy enough straight off the plane?

Im an electrician but will do anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

you should get a job fairly easy

as soon as you can, you should register with a temp / recruitment agency

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

If I was you, I'd do the following:

- ring my Irish mobile phone provider and ask them to unblock your phone. It takes 2 minutes, they text you a code, you enter it and you can use it over there so it saves you buying a new one.
    - head down to Woolworths or somewhere and pick up a Vodafone SIM for $2.
    - open a bank account. Most Irish people use ANZ for some reason.
    - get your Green Card. You can't work in construction in Sydney (or NSW) without one. It's a one day course that costs about $80. You need a different card for the other states but you can worry about that later.

You will need to have all that sorted before you going looking for a job as recruitment agencies will require that info on their application form and they'll need to be able to contact you (phone) and pay you (bank).

Then, hit gumtree, the papers (especially the Irish ones, you can pick them up for free in most Irish bars), google etc. and register with all the recruitment agencies etc. To be honest, most people get jobs from mates already working there or from keeping their eyes and ears open in pubs.

You won't get far on €1,000 and don't go mad and blow the lot in a couple of weeks of madness in Sydney like so many people do!! Having said that, it's still enough to tide you over for a few weeks and do get out and enjoy yourself - the social scene is unreal! I loved Sydney and would go back again in the morning if I could. Anyway, if you need any other help or advice just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Philsopher wrote: »

- ring my Irish mobile phone provider and ask them to unblock your phone. It takes 2 minutes, they text you a code, you enter it and you can use it over there so it saves you buying a new one.
    - get your Green Card. You can't work in construction in Sydney (or NSW) without one. It's a one day course that costs about $80. You need a different card for the other states but you can worry about that later.

I have the green card, an oz sim, bank account and know a few lads out there so should be easy enough get going I hope.

Im heading back on a 2nd year WHV, just wondering what the jobs situation is at the minute, want to get cash saved before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Philsopher wrote: »
    Irish people use Vodafone and ANZ because that's what the like of Visa First give you, because those two brands pay the likes of Visa First to help them build market share. In saying that, I would recommend Three/Vodafone because they offer good value for money. ANZ on the other hand I would not be so keen on. I would recommend BankWest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ballooba wrote: »
    In saying that, I would recommend Three/Vodafone because they offer good value for money.

If you want reception anywhere outside of a city go don't go with Vodafone

Once I am outside sydney I struggle with bars on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

hussey wrote: »
    If you want reception anywhere outside of a city go don't go with Vodafone

Once I am outside sydney I struggle with bars on my phone.
    Don't Three/Vodafone roam to Optus/Telstra when outside a Three/Vodafone coverage area? I guess it depends on how often you plan to be out in the boonies and how much value you place on having phone coverage while out there. The only time I'm out of three coverage is maybe somewhere like Fraser Island, but I don't want people ringing me there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

eh I think phones are the least of your worries.
    a grand is about 1400Aus, depending on how late in November you are landing and allowing a week for looking for work etc you are moving into the winding up period coming in to Christmas / Summer holidays.

Honestly I would be concerned (coming from a pratical view point) regarding the length of time you can finance yourself and actually getting a pay packet.

If your mates can line you up something or as your on a second whv maybe some old contacts could help out but even then everything shuts down for at least a few weeks end of Dec / Early Jan.

me personally I would land after mid Jan (well ideally I would arrive anytime except when you are arriving).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

myhorse wrote: »
    eh I think phones are the least of your worries.
    a grand is about 1400Aus, depending on how late in November you are landing and allowing a week for looking for work etc you are moving into the winding up period coming in to Christmas / Summer holidays.

Honestly I would be concerned (coming from a pratical view point) regarding the length of time you can finance yourself and actually getting a pay packet.

If your mates can line you up something or as your on a second whv maybe some old contacts could help out but even then everything shuts down for at least a few weeks end of Dec / Early Jan.

me personally I would land after mid Jan (well ideally I would arrive anytime except when you are arriving).

myhorse is right its a bad time of year to be looking for work in the building trade here I work for a prefab housing company in Melbourne and we close for 3 weeks over Christmas and new years because of builders holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

I would also look into trying to get a bank account sorted as soon as you arrive as alot of people can find this an issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I have the green card, an oz sim, bank account and know a few lads out there so should be easy enough get going I hope.

Im heading back on a 2nd year WHV, just wondering what the jobs situation is at the minute, want to get cash saved before christmas

Construction is booming at the moment, none of the lads I know have struggled for work since April or May now. Lad Im working for cant get enough and people I previously worked for keepo calling to ask for me or anyone I know to jump back on. July to Christmas is always peak time, with many jobs getting into full swing as alot of people want the work finished by Christmas. Gumtree is the way to go.

As for your 2nd WHV, Im sure someone probably mentioned it to you but make sure any questions they ask you at the airport match the info etc given on your original application, as its highly likely they will ask these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement