Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching

• 16-09-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

I'm a 6th year student and have my mind set on primary teaching. I really didnt want to do honours irish but realize i kinda have to in order to get the course.. anyone enlighted me in the entry routes etc.. id probably be aiming for around the 480 mark, but i kno there is an arts degree you can do, but what would that involve?

Any help muchly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can do an arts degree which will be 3 years minimum. Then you apply for the postgraduate course in primary teaching which is 18 months. If you go that route you could do pass irish for the leaving cert and then try to get your C3 in honours irish before you graduate from your arts degree. It's a good strategy because it means your irish won't be rusty when you go for the interview for entry to the postgraduate course.

Lots of people interested in primary teaching do the leaving cert irish on its own years after their first leaving cert. In addition Irish in LC 2012 and after will be a smaller course in terms of poems than LC 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I don't think doing the arts route is a good idea at the moment simply because those postgrad courses were set up to get more primary teachers qualified when there was a lack of them but now that there is an abundance there is a lot of talk of them being cut. So I'd say go straight to training college.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't think doing the arts route is a good idea at the moment simply because those postgrad courses were set up to get more primary teachers qualified when there was a lack of them but now that there is an abundance there is a lot of talk of them being cut. So I'd say go straight to training college.

You're right in that there are murmurings of certain postgrads being cut (the ones in the traditional colleges like Pats and Mary I), but it's unlikely that the Hibernia course will be cut since it's a private college. Didn't they double the numbers they take in this year?

For the OP, Hibernia is an online course you can do over 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

I was looking into doing this aswell even though i dont know if ill make the points if they go up.,i was wondering would anyone on here know once you get in to do the primary teaching course do you study a great deal of irish?..

I was looking into doing this aswell even though i dont know if ill make the points if they go up.,i was wondering would anyone on here know once you get in to do the primary teaching course do you study a great deal of irish?..

It depends on which college you go to, but yes, any primary teaching course will involve a good deal of Irish. It has to be studied as it is one of the primary curricular areas that is dedicated the most time, and in which knowledge cannot be acquired as easily as other subjects.

In Mary I you have four hours of Irish lectures/tutorials a week in first year, as well as a lecture through Irish on how it is taught. How many hours you have in subsequent years depends on which arts subject you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

dambarude wrote: »
    It depends on which college you go to, but yes, any primary teaching course will involve a good deal of Irish. It has to be studied as it is one of the primary curricular areas that is dedicated the most time, and in which knowledge cannot be acquired as easily as other subjects.

In Mary I you have four hours of Irish lectures/tutorials a week in first year, as well as a lecture through Irish on how it is taught. How many hours you have in subsequent years depends on which arts subject you choose.

oh right thanks for the advise i'll need to look into this a good bit before deciding to do it then, i'm thinking st pats for my first choice but im guessing the amount of irish studied is generally the same everywhere
    thanks again appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

oh right thanks for the advise i'll need to look into this a good bit before deciding to do it then, i'm thinking st pats for my first choice but im guessing the amount of irish studied is generally the same everywhere
    thanks again appreciate it
    If you dont choose Academic Irish in Pats you do Professional irish, which consists of a one hour lecture and a one hour seminar each week. Not taxing at all! And theres no real point going to the lecture either. Its all through Irish but the notes are on Moodle, plus it isnt a sign in :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will be responsible for the love of, attitude to and success of entire class groups in Irish when you pass them on to their second-level teacher.
    If you don't like/can't do Irish, please don't do primary teaching.

Thanks Spurious.

Irish is meant to be taught for at least 40 minutes a day in the primary school. There will be time to develop competency in Irish during teaching programmes, but that will only happen if it is taken seriously. It's not an optional extra, and it shouldn't be treated as a 'get enough to pass' subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

My brother is in Pats now and I hope to go next year and apparently Irish isn't that hard if you don't do it as an academic subject...
    My guidence counsellor adviced me to pick Irish as I'm a girl...
    Her words (after I told her my brother was doing teaching) "He'll get a job because he wears trousers"...
    I just thought I'd lighten the mood with that!=)...

I've decided to ignore my guidance councellors advice as I've heared various advice from other people aswell...
    I want to pick English and Geography as my two academic subjects...
    Any advice on those two subjects?...

Oh and btw to the person thinking of doing an arts degree first DON'T...
    If you can speak Irish "good-enough" definitely go with honours Irish...
    I honestly believe LC Irish is going to be harder next year...
    Poetry, stories etc aren't even worth that many marks now...

If your oral and aural is good go with Honours now and straight into Primary Teaching!..:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement