Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Won't let me leave

Options
  • 16-09-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I'm having an issue with Bord Gais. I'm moving apartment and no longer require their services. I call them up with the meter reading and ask them to close my account please....But "NO" they say. They won't close my account unless I can put it in someone elses name! Why should I care who's on the account after me. I don't live here anymore. Just close my account.....Please

Has anybody come across this problem? Surely it can't be legal...Can it?

I know I could just give them my landlords details or my roomates but thats not convenient to my situation and at the end of the day it's a Bord Gais problem not mine.

Anyhooo, I'm hoping there might be someone out there who can help or has advice on this issue.

Thank you guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?p=348&n=382

Close your account at your old address

* Contact your gas supplier and provide them with your existing account details, name, account reference number, Gas Point Reference Number (GPRN) and address
    * Submit a final read meter reading (this should be agreed with the incoming occupant). You will remain liable for gas used at your old address until you provide a final meter reading
    * Provide your gas supplier with your new address and contact details
    * Please provide contact details for the incoming occupant if they require the gas supply to remain on. Otherwise the meter will be locked (access to the meter will be required) and the new owner will be required to call their supplier to arrange for a meter unlock. There may be a charge to the new owner for this call out and it may also take some time to facilitate this request. Thus, it is preferable to avoid unceccessary delays and cost by providing the contact details of the incoming occupant

Please Note: Please bear in mind that you remain liable for gas consumed until such time as you inform your supplier that you are leaving the premises and provide a final meter reading.

So, if you someone else living there doesn't want gas, then you can have them close the account and lock the gas meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

lambay1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm having an issue with Bord Gais. I'm moving apartment and no longer require their services. I call them up with the meter reading and ask them to close my account please....But "NO" they say. They won't close my account unless I can put it in someone elses name! Why should I care who's on the account after me. I don't live here anymore. Just close my account.....Please

I know I could just give them my landlords details or my roomates but thats not convenient to my situation and at the end of the day it's a Bord Gais problem not mine.

Anyhooo, I'm hoping there might be someone out there who can help or has advice on this issue.

http://www.bordgais.ie/networks/index.jsp?p=348&n=382

Edit - Oops beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lambay1

Actually thanks to both you guys. The confusion was on my part. That'll help when I call them tomorrow

CHEERS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if they do turn off supply. There is a hefty fee for getting connected again. Not fair on other tenants or land lord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Put in name of landlord. Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you do not need to do anything except call them up and tell them you are moving out and give them a final meter reading with the GPRN number off the meter as it states here
    Please Note: Please bear in mind that you remain liable for gas consumed until such time as you inform your supplier that you are leaving the premises and provide a final meter reading.
    once you give your final reading it has nothing to do with you and refusing to close the account is imho in breach of data protection laws as your details are incorrectly associated with an address you no longer reside at.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Chances are that they will come out & turn off the supply immediately if there is noboby to transfer it to.

You may find a clause in your lease (if you have one) that the landlord can find you liable for the cost of getting it turned back on & will come out of your deposit.

Is there a reason you don't/won't get it transfered to someone else ?

Bord Gais & ESB have been hit hard by tenants/customers fleeing properties and are getting tougher about switching off the supply. They will also blacklist you if you have unpaid bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

lambay1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Are you moving out of the property completely - not sure what the reference to a "roommate" means. Is this a shared tenancy?

If you are moving out completely, then ask your landlord what he/she wants you to do. Either the account is moved to their name, the incoming tenant's name, or the supply is closed. Whatever happens, I suggest you take a photograph of the meter reading on move-out day with the day's newspaper next to it to provide some level of proof.

SSE

Advertisement