Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest at Brian Cowen visit to Sligo. (mod warning #4, #8, and #32)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm going to cut the lines to the beer taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

MIght well head over there and bust a brick off that nation destroying drunk's head - hope there's a riot but I doubt it - country full of mammy's boys

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No encouragement of illegal activity please

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

sligopark wrote: »
    MIght well head over there and bust a brick off that nation destroying drunk's head - hope there's a riot but I doubt it - country full of mammy's boys

There are far more effective ways to seriously undermine the Government which are within the Law and 100% legal and NON VIOLENT. If you are male, over 30yrs of age and would like to stand up against this disgrace of a Government/System then send me a pm with a mobile no I can call. I will be calling interested eligible men in early Oct.

See my post in the politics forum.

Change is in the air and Sligo will play its part;)

Ladies will be required for strike two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

There are far more effective ways to seriously undermine the Government which are within the Law and 100% legal and NON VIOLENT. If you are male, over 30yrs of age and would like to stand up against this disgrace of a Government/System then send me a pm with a mobile no I can call. I will be calling interested eligible men in early Oct.

Change is in the air and Sligo will play its part;)

Ladies will be required for strike two!

I cannot. :(
    Link please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Essexboy wrote: »

I cannot. :(
    Link please.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67742356&postcount=60

Posts removed. No abuse of other posters please, any further incidents may lead to infractions or bannings, if you have issue with such a post please report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Just back a while now and not a bad turnout at all.
    I would say nearly 200 people, who had to wait quite a while before himself landed.
    Banners from Save Our cancer Services campaign and Sligo Workers Alliance.
    Good few photographers and journos, couple of TV cameras.
    Good banter and sense of solidarity amongst those there, including several councillors and the mayor.
    There was some chanting just before and during the arrival, including the old classic "SHAME,SHAME,SHAME etc. etc.
    People from all parts there to let them inside know that all is not well and while they sup with their long spoons and carry on like they've all done such a great job, we outside are not happy with the state of affairs.
    Whatever it is you have planned Blackie, I'm all for it and I'd urge others to get involved too.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Just back a while now and not a bad turnout at all.
    I would say nearly 200 people, who had to wait quite a while before himself landed.
    Banners from Save Our cancer Services campaign and Sligo Workers Alliance.
    Good few photographers and journos, couple of TV cameras.
    Good banter and sense of solidarity amongst those there, including several councillors and the mayor.
    There was some chanting just before and during the arrival, including the old classic "SHAME,SHAME,SHAME etc. etc.
    People from all parts there to let them inside know that all is not well and while they sup with their long spoons and carry on like they've all done such a great job, we outside are not happy with the state of affairs.
    Whatever it is you have planned Blackie, I'm all for it and I'd urge others to get involved too.

Good Man Pete,

B in touch soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Pete do you work for yourself or the government or unemployed? I was one of "them" inside but I didn't have a particualrly long spoon to sup with just a regular one. At a guess 99% of people in there support the cancer services staying in Sligo. Matt Lyons spoke of it in his speech as did Fergal Burke in his. I am unsure of what job I was meant to be doing for you but I run a business that employed 6 people and now only employs two and them on a two or three day week I work for my family and myself and my employees as far as I am aware I don't owe you anything. John McCormack thanked all of his staff as being the main reason he has built up his business to the level where he now recieved business person of the year. Commerce is the life blood of the country but we aren't all fat cats. most people there work hard, provide jobs and have a real regard for the people that work with them. One of the hardest things in business is letting staff go especially if they are good staff. One of the other hardest is not knowing if you will be in business next week, month, or year and trying to explain that to your wife or partner/family. I find meeting other people in business beneficial in talking shop especially the older more experianced heads, you get ideas on how to solve problems etc and thats what the chamber is about imho. Bringing business together.
    If you have an alternitive I am all on to listen to it. But please don't tar the banks,business and the Government all with the one brush.
    Have a nice weekend.

• Advertisement

Hello Ted.

Pete do you work for yourself or the government or unemployed?

I am a state employee. But I could also work for a private company, so maybe you knew that already. :cool:
    I was one of "them" inside but I didn't have a particualrly long spoon to sup with just a regular one.

Perhaps my language is overly dramatic. I went to a poetry reading after being at The Clarion so I was inspired while writing that yesterday evening.:o
    But I suppose the 'Devil' that all who attended the meal were supping with wasn't Mr. Cowen nor any of the other guests even, but the 'System' or concept to which all apparently subscribe so heavily to.
    And I can imagine how some people in business now, do indeed have very short spoons at the moment, such are the difficulties with credit etc.
    At a guess 99% of people in there support the cancer services staying in Sligo. Matt Lyons spoke of it in his speech as did Fergal Burke in his.

I'd like to think that 100% support the services staying in Sligo, but how many are 100% committed to ensuring they return ASAP?
    I acknowledged that Matt and several of his party colleagues were present with the protestors, standing with them and that is fair enough and politically expedient.
    No one would be seen not to support the return of the services, and indeed all would love to see them restored, but how many have allowed decisions to be made that they could have an input into that led to their removal?
    I am unsure of what job I was meant to be doing for you but I run a business that employed 6 people and now only employs two and them on a two or three day week I work for my family and myself and my employees as far as I am aware I don't owe you anything.

I am sorry if I intimated that I think you owe me anything in particular, you certainly don't.
    Except for that which we all owe each other, mutual respect, compassion, understanding etc. ;)
    What I meant is that the whole affair can be seen as 'fiddling while Rome burns' so to speak.
    The Taoiseach, with other elected representatives and the captains of industry all there have presided in the past number of years over some outrageous policies, decisions,business deals and general mayhem, which has lead us to where we all are today, and things just seem to be getting worse, so the job is not a good one, if the job is ensuring that greater society is healthy, prosperous, secure and satisfied.
    John McCormack thanked all of his staff as being the main reason he has built up his business to the level where he now recieved business person of the year.

Any good business person will tell you that if you don't have the staff, you've a big problem. At the end of the day, we're all of us in this together and if we can't depend on each other, which seems increasingly to be the case, then we're well and truly horsed:eek:
    Commerce is the life blood of the country but we aren't all fat cats.

I can appreciate that commerce and trade and business are essential, so much so that with the way commerce has developed over the past number of decades has led to this almighty global crash.
    I know that not all business people are fat cats, but they do exist and I'm sure you may know a few of them yourself.
    It is the way in which trade and commerce are conducted which I believe is the main problem with the ways things have gone.
    Rampant free market capitalism is just plain wrong in my eyes. And I'm not saying that all who partake are fat cats and evil, money grabbing capitalists, that would mean me thinking this of most of my friends and family.
    But as the only show in town when it comes to making a living, then it is hard not to be involved in some way, but there is an alternative....
    Most people there work hard, provide jobs and have a real regard for the people that work with them. One of the hardest things in business is letting staff go especially if they are good staff. One of the other hardest is not knowing if you will be in business next week, month, or year and trying to explain that to your wife or partner/family.

I can only imagine how difficult that must be, letting people go, but it's all part of it I suppose.
    Kudos for creating jobs and having a successful business.

If you have an alternitive I am all on to listen to it.

There is always an alternative if you're willing to listen and consider what's going on without being averse to relaxing your grip of some of the fundamental concepts of our current system of governance and commerce.
    But it'd have to kicked off over a few pinteens maybe....
    No decent revolution ever started on the internet yet (or did it?)
    But please don't tar the banks,business and the Government all with the one brush.

The brush I'm using is the 'got carried away with themselves' one (though I completely accept that not all businesses were involved, there are too many), certainly 'big' business though.

Have a nice weekend.

And you have a good one too. Bit crappy out there today, but what better way to spend it than on Boards...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Good Man Pete,

B in touch soon ;)

i'd be possibly interested blackie, but its a bit too cloak and dagger for me

i'd be possibly interested blackie, but its a bit too cloak and dagger for me

Pity Fingers, Could do with a comrade with such a classic handle. Trust you instinct. If you committ it is 100%, but for obvious reasons the cloak and dagger bit will continue almost to the day of the strike!

Hasta la vida nuevo!

Pete do you work for yourself or the government or unemployed? I was one of "them" inside but I didn't have a particualrly long spoon to sup with just a regular one. At a guess 99% of people in there support the cancer services staying in Sligo. Matt Lyons spoke of it in his speech as did Fergal Burke in his. I am unsure of what job I was meant to be doing for you but I run a business that employed 6 people and now only employs two and them on a two or three day week I work for my family and myself and my employees as far as I am aware I don't owe you anything. John McCormack thanked all of his staff as being the main reason he has built up his business to the level where he now recieved business person of the year. Commerce is the life blood of the country but we aren't all fat cats. most people there work hard, provide jobs and have a real regard for the people that work with them. One of the hardest things in business is letting staff go especially if they are good staff. One of the other hardest is not knowing if you will be in business next week, month, or year and trying to explain that to your wife or partner/family. I find meeting other people in business beneficial in talking shop especially the older more experianced heads, you get ideas on how to solve problems etc and thats what the chamber is about imho. Bringing business together.
    If you have an alternitive I am all on to listen to it. But please don't tar the banks,business and the Government all with the one brush.
    Have a nice weekend.

Ted, for the record, I am a unemployed former company Director, I personally laid off all the 15 excellent team members we built up, I paid 1.65 million in taxes from my company over a 5 year period, I am now a commited subversive.

The COC are a joke. It is staggering that they all gather together in the Clarion to listen to that tank of sh*te fumble his way through some goons prepared lies. I was a member of the COC over 20 years ago. Ted, there is going to be a new system, that is 100% certain. I do not know what it will be, that is for cleverer people than me, but there is no way that in 10 years time the choices will be FF FG LAB GRE SF etc...

Barter, black economy(cash), local communities caring for each other etc is what will set the tone for the new system, we have lost the run of ourselves within this modle of society.

Embrace the change that is comming but do not spend filthy money eating mediocre food and listening to lies from the person directly responsible for removing Cancer services from Sligo and being part of the responsibllity for the disaster the country is in now.

Business is not the backbone of society, people are. We had nine million people living here 160 years ago without any business structure. MAybe we were abject poor but I would be rather be known as poor than corrupt. Our Political leaders are corrupt, Some business leaders are corrupt, many sections of our workforce are comfortably lethargic in protected guaranteed positions, our model for society is appropiate no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Have a nice weekend.

Surely you recognise the part Cowen played in your business' downturn? The man presided over the overheating of the economy, was anoited our leader by the previous chancer and now sits in the Taoiseach's office, ignoring the plight of the citizen's of Ireland whilst living it up with his party colleagues, the party of almost permanent government (21 of the last 23 years).
    Nobody is begrudging you a night out with fellow business people, but personally I would've refused to attend with that Sh1t of a "man" as a guest of "honour". The man knows nothing of it.
    P.S. Hope business picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

this is a topic close to my heart and a very emotive one with people,i do not belive in sending people that are going through such threatment miles away on a bus. i feel every one at every level in the political circles have let the cancer Patients down some of them sould travel to galway for a few days on these buses and see what these people are going through.

But one thing realy left me down heartened on monday morning while listening to a ocean fm news report on the protest in the report you can hear the crowd voicing their oppinions but what left me annoyed was one man clearly shouting scum bags scum bags,now have we really let ourselves go this low this is what you would hear from a tugish soccer holigan at a soccer match.
    I would find it hard to support a campagin which to me some members are stooping to the gutter,theres alot to be said in my oppinion for dignified protest,but im hoping that this is a mindless idiot and would hope the like of would be weeded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligono1 wrote: »
    this is a topic close to my heart and a very emotive one with people,i do not belive in sending people that are going through such threatment miles away on a bus. i feel every one at every level in the political circles have let the cancer Patients down some of them sould travel to galway for a few days on these buses and see what these people are going through.

But one thing realy left me down heartened on monday morning while listening to a ocean fm news report on the protest in the report you can hear the crowd voicing their oppinions but what left me annoyed was one man clearly shouting scum bags scum bags,now have we really let ourselves go this low this is what you would hear from a tugish soccer holigan at a soccer match.
    I would find it hard to support a campagin which to me some members are stooping to the gutter,theres alot to be said in my oppinion for dignified protest,but im hoping that this is a mindless idiot and would hope the like of would be weeded out.

What's the point in protesting if you can't voice your opinion? I can think of a lot more colourful words than scum bag to be shouting at him

We pay the man €300,000 a year plus expenses. He wasn't elected as Taoiseach by the people, his policies as Minister of Finance and Taoiseach have made this recession far worse than it needed to be and his attitude to all this and the citizens of this state is to go on the lash and sweat out a hangover live on air.
    Then he comes to a town where vital health services have been removed, where women have their breast cancer checks in a lorry, where the FF representatives for the area voted to support the removal of cancer services and where 5,000 people are unemployed in the county. I hardly think calling the man a "scum bag" is all that serious, nor inaccurate for that matter.

this is a topic close to my heart and a very emotive one with people,i do not belive in sending people that are going through such threatment miles away on a bus.

So you were there then.

Hold on. Were you there?
    Having been there myself with my 2 kids for the duration of the protest, I can't recall anyone chanting 'scumbag'. My daughter didn't hear it either.
    this is a topic close to my heart and a very emotive one with people,i do not belive in sending people that are going through such threatment miles away on a bus.

It's a topic close to an awful lot of peoples hearts. I would none more so than those people at the protest.

I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but any protest being attended by over a hundred people, all rather vexed, shall we say, with Mr. Cowen & Co. will contain individuals more vocal than your average joe.

The overall feel there was one of a sense of unity of purpose.

'Shame' was the chant while he went through the gate and that was chanted by many there, even some of the kids.

It's only a pity that there weren't more people chanting.

We can give out as much as we like but unless we take to the streets, very little is going to change :(

We're already in the gutter............

You need to run a spellcheck on your posts!;)

• Advertisement

Essexboy wrote: »
    You need to run a spellcheck on your posts!;)

post is readable and legible, please stay on subject.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I hate it when people comment on someone's spelling on thread when someone is making an effort to address a totally different topic,comes across as very condescending and sly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

il gatto wrote: »
    We pay the man €300,000 a year plus expenses. He wasn't elected as Taoiseach by the people,

The fact that Brian Cowen was not elected Taoiseach by the people is not an issue. The people never elect the Taoiseach - he/she is elected by their fellow party members when they are voted into power, or when a change of leadership comes about, for whatever reason.

I'm not standing up for the man - merely pointing out the fact that the leader of our country is not selected in the same way our Presidents are.

greetings wrote: »
    I hate it when people comment on someone's spelling on thread when someone is making an effort to address a totally different topic,comes across as very condescending and sly.

"Low levels of literacy and numeracy within the labour pool in the
    North West have been highlighted by companies and state
    agencies as causes of concern."
    http://www.icia.ie/ibec/press/presspublicationsdoclib3.nsf/wvNWNews/44B8B33476F110A880256FBA005368B8/$file/Exec Summary-final.pdf

Irrelevant,the poster was referring to the issue with the cancer services being moved. And I'm unaware at the moment of any links between bad spellings and developing cancer.

greetings wrote: »
    And I'm unaware at the moment of any links between bad spellings and developing cancer.

Yeah, but if you put the two together, you could be a naccer :D

That's an AH response I'll admit :o

And your sig cracks me up too :pac:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dieing

Only slaggin btw:pac::pac::pac:

But seriously, it looks as though all here would support the protest, in theory anyway, so the last thing that we need really is this type of a squabble.

There's grammer nazis everywhere, but it's not the national socialists of language we're against, it's the neo-liberal capitalists you want to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Enough about the spelling guys. Back on topic please.

The fact that Brian Cowen was not elected Taoiseach by the people is not an issue. The people never elect the Taoiseach - he/she is elected by their fellow party members when they are voted into power, or when a change of leadership comes about, for whatever reason.

I'm not standing up for the man - merely pointing out the fact that the leader of our country is not selected in the same way our Presidents are.

Fully aware of this, but the man is responsible in large part for the country's predicament by way of his naive and downright twisted policies as minister of finance. As it stands, the country has not been given a chance to validate his supposed mandate at the polls, even to the extent that outstanding by-elections have been shelved indefinitely, denying several constituencies their proper representation in Dáil Eireann.
    And all this as the most unpopular Taoiseach ever according to pretty much every poll. The people have never voted for a Taoiseach directly, but clinging to power in this fashion is unseemly and is harming the country. If the man has the unshakeable faith he declares in the job, he and those around him are doing, then go to the polls. Are they telling us they know better?
    In his current situation, I feel his non contesting of an election as leader of Fianna Fáil and as potential Taoiseach is very much and issue.

Yeah, but if you put the two together, you could be a naccer :D

That's an AH response I'll admit :o

And your sig cracks me up too :pac:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dieing

Only slaggin btw:pac::pac::pac:

But seriously, it looks as though all here would support the protest, in theory anyway, so the last thing that we need really is this type of a squabble.

There's grammer nazis everywhere, but it's not the national socialists of language we're against, it's the neo-liberal capitalists you want to watch out for.

I didn't even know I had a sig it must be that old,how come I can't see any :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Spelling may not be my stongest point,but why do people have to all school teacher on this.
    but im insulted by Essexboys comments "Low levels of literacy and numeracy within the labour pool in the
    North West have been highlighted by companies and state
    agencies as causes of concern."
    I sorry for going off Topic when asked not to again but i cannot let this snide remark go maybe i am reading to much into these comments and they was no need to mention these remarks in the related topic,please Essexboy Pm me or reply and explain what your direction is with your comments.

Advertisement