Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer wont recognise external hard drive

Options
  • 16-09-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi all,
    i have a 500gb maxtor external hard drive, on my friends advise i downloaded and installed fat 32 with the hope my playstation 3 would recognise my hard drive and to my horror after installation my PC will now not recognise it as well as the ps3 still not recognising it. I partitioned the drive not knowing wat it really meant. the computer still beeps when i plug the drive into the usb port but it willl not show up in my computer. im most worried about losing my years of family photos and videos can any1 please help??? bare in mind im an amutuer on computer repairs!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

in order to get it working with the ps3 YES you need to format to fat32 which the format will cause loosing all your data, so make sure you have everything backed up. it seems that your computer is recognising the hard drive but can't assign a letter. all you need is to assign the letter from the disk management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

If you attempted to format the hard drive you may have erased all of the data, the type of format will give more info on the chances of recovering data.

Do not try to reformat.

Connect the drive, right click on My Computer and Click Manage. Click on Disk management on the left hand side and see what disks are connected to the computer.

Post as much info as possible here maybe even a screenshot.

Advertisement