Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Biggins wrote: »
    No.

i get the sence of you been unsure by your answer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Was on holidays lately and said to myself I would stroll down to the local church having not been to mass in a while.All going through the motions until the sermon when my ears began to cock.He was one of the most frank and honest priests I ever heard.He compared the catholic church to Fianna Fail where every priest was forced to tow the party line and that he was sick of it.He said that the hierarchy needed to wake up to the 21st century,cannon law was secondary to civil law,the need to promote contraception,co-habitation may lead to stronger marriages,respect for gays the whole nine yards.It goes to show that there are alot of good proper thinking priests out there and that they cannot be painted with the one brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nope. I went until the age of 14 or so. At first it was pure teenage laziness. Who wants to waste an hour listening to some old fogey talking about God when I could be...... doing anything else.
    Then when I got older I put some serious thought into it, read widely, discussed the shít out of it with friends and family and decided, it was all a cod.
    Like most people I go for the major milestones in family members lives, purely out of respect to them, nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

snyper wrote: »
    i get the sence of you been unsure by your answer :pac:
    Really? :eek:

NO - Not a hope in hell - not a chance - this dawg don't hunt - like hell I do -

I hope that clarifies my position. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Weddings/Funerals/anniversary masses. Unless it was a close friends or a siblings child, I probably wouldn't go to a christening. When I do go, it's mostly to keep the folks happy. Unless it's a wedding, I love them for all the free booze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

According to the Irish Times poll today 32% of people go to mass weekly, in urban areas its 25% and 52% in rural areas. Only 15% of 18-34 year olds go to mass weekly (12% for 15-34 year olds which I think may even exaggerate the number). That is a massive fall off in a relatively short space of time and is bringing close to the continental European average. Given how rapidly the numbers are falling we may end up with Scandavian levels of religious observance around 2-3%. The strange thing is 89% of people still described themselves as Catholic, only 5% as athiest / agnostic.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0916/1224278995802.html

Be careful. This excludes people who would be otherwise observant.

The adequate way to have done this would have been to ask if you attend a place of worship on a weekly / monthly basis.

This would have included the bigger picture, and indeed it would have allowed a better comparison between the churches / faith groups. Which have the highest attendance, and which have the lowest on a regular basis.

It appears in Irish culture, the choice isn't between the varying faith based groups and none. Rather the choice is between "The Church", and no church. People don't seem too interested in looking around to seeing what other people have to offer. Even atheists on these fora continue to use the term "The Church" which is a bit of an oddity!

Edit: The link is also very telling in another respect:
    Catholics – as well as the population at large – are also less likely to view “sins” such as sex before marriage and sexual infidelity as being very serious. They are more likely to rank indiscretions involving politicians or bankers, such as lying under oath or financial fraud, as being much more serious.

That is really a worrying trend. I can understand how people justify sex-before-marriage, but I just don't understand how people can argue that adultery / cheating isn't wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mass? is that some new nightclub in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Nope. And I hope the mass-going generation dies off soon and that the churches will be empty and silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

After a 20-year absence I started going again recently.

As a child and teenager, I felt Religion was forced onto me by my parents - we used to say the rosary every night and go to mass every Sunday and holy days. I dreaded going back to school after Christmas as we'd do nothing else only read the Bible and get asked questions then get a good boll**king if we got any part of the story wrong. Then a priest would call to the school and ask questions at random, God help you if you couldn't answer the question! We were nervous wrecks. I developed a hatred of religion.

So, once I left home to go to college in London I celebrated my freedom by not going to mass. A few years later I started working and lived back home, but I warned my parents I was now working and independent and mass was not on my agenda. They were horrified but had to accept it.

Now I have children I feel compelled to go to mass(by my husband), it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I wouldn't be as fanatic as my parents were though, and certainly wouldn't force my children to go when they're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

no i dont but only for funerals & weddings, myself personal i wont even get married as i dont beleave or care about the opinion of the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

not regularly no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Not even on christmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

kelle wrote: »
    After a 20-year absence I started going again recently.

As a child and teenager, I felt Religion was forced onto me by my parents - we used to say the rosary every night and go to mass every Sunday and holy days. I dreaded going back to school after Christmas as we'd do nothing else only read the Bible and get asked questions then get a good boll**king if we got any part of the story wrong. Then a priest would call to the school and ask questions at random, God help you if you couldn't answer the question! We were nervous wrecks. I developed a hatred of religion.

So, once I left home to go to college in London I celebrated my freedom by not going to mass. A few years later I started working and lived back home, but I warned my parents I was now working and independent and mass was not on my agenda. They were horrified but had to accept it.

Now I have children I feel compelled to go to mass(by my husband), it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I wouldn't be as fanatic as my parents were though, and certainly wouldn't force my children to go when they're older.
    So you're now encouraging your children to partake in an organisation which you hate and haven't engaged with in 20 years? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have to go when living under mammys roof otherwise no when living away from home only for the usual weddings, funerals, christenings etc. In the middle at the moment. Given a choice I wouldn't go. Lost all interest, I'm there but not present. What is being said goes over my head and doesn't mean much to me. I really only go to mass cause I'm made go. I've not much else to do so fills the time better otherwise I find saturday too long otherwise its a pain to have to go If wanting to go somewhere else that day or that night etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

Mass my a$$!
    Never.
    www.countmeout.ie

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes i go to mass. My kids go to mass as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yep I do. I'm religious. We don't need another Catholic bashing thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

So you're now encouraging your children to partake in an organisation which you hate and haven't engaged with in 20 years? :confused:
    Maybe I've mellowed in my old age, I don't hate it anymore! And I don't feel there is any harm in bringing them.

I'm not that religious far from it. Yet I still go to mass. :( Wish there were other better things to be doing or going to than having to go to mass. I don't understand the whole religious cult that has been shoved down our throats. Why try to understand something you don't understand. It goes around in circles. Its a waste of time. Why go to mass when you can pray when ever and where ever. Haven't been to confession for years. Thank goodness, have managed to escape it for thankful reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Wish there were other better things to be doing or going to than having to go to mass.
    What?

There is.

It's called sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not that religious far from it. Yet I still go to mass. :( Wish there were other better things to be doing or going to than having to go to mass. I don't understand the whole religious cult that has been shoved down our throats. Why try to understand something you don't understand. It goes around in circles. Its a waste of time. Why go to mass when you can pray when ever and where ever. Haven't been to confession for years. Thank goodness, have managed to escape it for thankful reasons!

So...dont go then, are you dragged there every week or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nextbestintown

Yes. Good for your health and longevity if nothing else. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I have to say I was pretty much a non church goer for years then I got married and children came on the scene(got married in a registrar office).
    Things change and feelings on how and what you wish for your children to get through life. I just decided to gave church another shot and I found mass satisfying. I don't know the age profile of your poll but I would hazard a guess and most are single, young and not going to die in the near future(no)

What?

There is.

It's called sleeping.

Sounds nice. I'd rather be in the pub.
    krudler wrote: »
    So...dont go then, are you dragged there every week or something?

I know I shouldn't bother. I have to really though, my mam be ashamed of me If I didn't. She only give out to me and nag me to go so I go just to make her happy. Yes I am subconciously dragged there by my mother! I kinda have to go she is kinda involved with parish stuff so think people might talk if I didn't go to mass. Too many people know me locally so. It be much easier if I didn't live at home I wouldn't bother my hat going. When living with my mam I have to go. She even made me go if when I were living in Dublin. I kept trying to get out of it and she wasn't hearing none of it. Tried to get out of it around the time of exams there would be war so no point trying to talk herself out of it. The only time I get away with it if I were staying with family or on holiday. I wouldn't go to mass. Its an excuse to get out of the house anyway and doll myself up. To be seen, and to be seen going to mass is as much benefit I get out of it otherwise I be the talk of the town.

Mass is no more satisfying than having to get up early in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

only for weddings,christenings funerals and christmas.

Christmas is probably the only decent time to go to mass. Hope to avoid confession this christmas again!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sounds nice. I'd rather be in the pub.

I know I shouldn't bother. I have to really though, my mam be ashamed of me If I didn't. She only give out to me and nag me to go so I go just to make her happy. Yes I am subconciously dragged there by my mother! I kinda have to go she is kinda involved with parish stuff so think people might talk if I didn't go to mass. Too many people know me locally so. It be much easier if I didn't live at home I wouldn't bother my hat going. When living with my mam I have to go. She even made me go if when I were living in Dublin. I kept trying to get out of it and she wasn't hearing none of it. Tried to get out of it around the time of exams there would be war so no point trying to talk herself out of it. The only time I get away with it if I were staying with family or on holiday. I wouldn't go to mass. Its an excuse to get out of the house anyway and doll myself up. To be seen, and to be seen going to mass is as much benefit I get out of it otherwise I be the talk of the town.

Mass is no more satisfying than having to get up early in the morning!

Ladies and gents, everything thats wrong with rural Ireland summed up in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Only for weddings/funerals /christenings etc etc.
    Me too...and ive been to ALOT of all of them over the last 3 years. It makes me hate catholicism and the whole setup even more.

I had a row with my Dad,probably the biggest argument we've ever had when i was 16 about going to mass (or not going to).He cringes now when i remind him about it. He has barely been since ..and thats a long time ago.

The one bit in Mass i hate is when the priest goes "i am not worthy to receive you,only say the word and you shall be healed". WTF...if anyone said that crap to me outside of mass id slap them.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Ladies and gents, everything thats wrong with rural Ireland summed up in one post.

mmm thats true coming from a rural habitant that is I. :o

Advertisement