Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Sounds nice. I'd rather be in the pub.
    On a Sunday morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

On a Sunday morning??

I tend to go to mass on a saturday eve rather than a sunday morning. If given a choice I'd rather be in a pub on a saturday eve instead of mass in the case of a sunday morning I'd rather be in bed a sleep than having to go to mass on a sunday morning thats one reason why going to mass on a saturday eve is more feasible cause I am likely to sleep in on a sunday morning! I'm not a morning person!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

went a lot...coming up to my wedding :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

terenc: Do you just find it nice or do you believe it to be true? Just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

It would be interesting to know why people have stopped going, is it because they no longer (never) believed in God, the scandals or because they disagree with the church's opposition to contraception, abortion and gay rights. The reason why people stopped going would indicate if there is any liklihood that will go again in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

terenc wrote: »
    I found mass satisfying. I don't know the age profile of your poll but I would hazard a guess and most are single, young and not going to die in the near future(no)
    So...married,older with children will mean ill find it satisfying???Hmmm..

Out of curiousity and not argumentative...why did that happen then and not when you were single/no kids? Is it easier to go with the flow with the kids for school (communions,confirmations etc) than to single your kids out of the group would be more hassle than its worth. Thats what my Dad did...it doesnt work!

I can give you an idea as to why I'd stop going to mass altogether.
    1. I do not understand or comprehend or even believe the whole adam and eve concept, the virign mary, jesus being concieved to the virgin mary, apparitions, jesus himself (I believe he exisited but the whole story behind him I'm not sure If I believe all of it)
    2. Them being against abortion, contraceptive pill and sex, being so contratictory that its better to have a kid when in marriage yet calling it a sin to have sex in marriage as well as outside of marriage as well as having a kid is sin whether in marriage or out of wedlock, the notion of conception of when it happens and when it doesn't happen
    3. Catholic religion is cult and nothing more
    4. Jesus wasn't a Christian
    5. Priests cannot marry or have kids unless they left the order
    6. That priests and nuns can stay celibate? I honestly don't know how they can give that up completely even the most innocent person even a virgin couldn't give up celibacy that easily
    7. Priests that act like dictators and think they have authority over ones choices, they seem to relate to men more than women, take people for granted, expect money
    8. Never trust the church 100% when growing up always knew there was something dodgy
    9. Obviously the whole abuse issues has put me off the church even more
    10. Lost all faith in the church as a whole, don't half believe what they say any more obviously they might have good moral stories and so on to proclaim thats understandable if its related to real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

terenc wrote: »
    I have to say I was pretty much a non church goer for years then I got married and children came on the scene(got married in a registrar office).
    Things change and feelings on how and what you wish for your children to get through life. I just decided to gave church another shot and I found mass satisfying. I don't know the age profile of your poll but I would hazard a guess and most are single, young and not going to die in the near future(no)

Don't ****ing presume to know why I'm not religious. Just because you're a coward and change your mind about religion because "What if?", doesn't mean the rest of us can't make up our minds and stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Frick, I don't know how but I chose the wrong one! :rolleyes: you can discount one of those yes votes.

I feel my views of christiandoom is more protestant than catholic yet I am a practicing catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm not a Catholic, so no.

The only thing I follow religiously is football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Nope! I used to be an alter server and I had to come in early before mass some morning to clean the priest's quarters, he would be in there drinking glasses and glasses of wine before mass.

I remember he caused war because he announced in mass one day that he would no longer except coins in the collection only paper money would be excepted. After that a lot of people stopped going.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

According to the Irish Times poll today 32% of people go to mass weekly, in urban areas its 25% and 52% in rural areas.
    The strange thing is 89% of people still described themselves as Catholic, only 5% as athiest / agnostic.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0916/1224278995802.html

I think this is a huge problem in this country. The majority of people are de facto not religious but do not face up to the fact that they are not religious. Hence, we have religion entrenched in our constitution, daft blasphemy laws, hours/days/weeks/months of our children's education lost to catholic indoctrination, when children could alternatively be near fluent in a foreign language or way ahead in science, and so on...

How 89% of the people here could describe themselves as catholic is beyond me.
    People really need to face up to the fact that they are de facto atheist (which encompasses agnosticism), and atheism is not a dirty word.

In the next census (2011) be sure to tick the "No Religion" box if you are not religious.

Why do students have to do religion now in the Junior cert exams is beyond me and is an exam subject in the Leaving!

I feel my views of christiandoom is more protestant than catholic yet I am a practicing catholic.

Hm.

1. As for Adam & Eve - opinion differs. Most that I have come across believe that Adam and Eve did exist, but that they mightn't have existed alone. Of course more literalist Christians in respect to Genesis would argue that they existed alone.

The vast vast majority of all Christians would believe that Mary was a virgin. Not believing in Jesus wouldn't really be on the cards for Christians (Protestants, Catholics, or Orthodox) either.

2. Although liberal Protestants would be more open to abortion than Roman Catholics. The vast majority of Protestants worldwide oppose it.
    Personally I don't see any problem with birth control, but I do think that the place for sexual activity is marriage.

3. Your views would be a bit harsh for a lot of Protestants.

4. Of course Jesus wasn't a Christian. That's the point. We follow Him. Christians = disciples of Christ.

5. Agree strongly that all should have the right to marry, including clergy / ministry. In the Bible this was permitted from the beginnings of Christianity, and from the beginnings of Judaism.

6. I think that people can remain celibate, but that only very few can. It should be a matter of choice.

7. If true this is wrong.

8. I think trust depends on how comfortable you are in a church, and whether or not you can be sure what the priest / pastor / minister is saying is true or consistent with Christianity. This is why most Protestants would regard the Bible quite highly.

9. Absolutely! Why wouldn't they put you off?

10. Not surprised. Only be sure not to slam the doors, but to consider other options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

No haven't since I was 16/17. I stopped believeing in it around 15 but still went because of my mother. She always said that I'll go until I'm 18 and then I can make my own decision. I just point blank refused to go eventually, also the sitting in dead silence beside her, saying no prayers and not getting communion might have tipped her off. Because of me though, my brother didn't have to go since he was 13.

All my friends were surprised as I was also an Alter boy and the only one that regularly went. I actually wanted to go to mass up until the time I started to think about it.

It was weird because my father never went to mass and as I later found out doesn't believe in it. I always used to ask him why he didn't go when I was younger, he said he did, he just went to mass in Shannon when we were at a church about a mile up the road. I believed that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Simple question. Do you go or not!!!

I do......

......in me hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

no, religion is a dying empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nope, nor do any of my friends, in fact 1 guy actually left the church, took him a while too . . meetings with priests telling him its a huge choice blah blah, he couldnt believe it. Plenty of veiled threats about what would happen to him when he dies etc.

I dont go . . . I want nothing to do with an organisation that abuses children and covers it up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Nope only go to mass for the usual, weddings and funerals etc. Also go on Christmas day to please the parents. I find mass incredibly boring, and always swore I wouldn't force my children to sit through something they don't/ couldn't understand.
    AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Don't ****ing presume to know why I'm not religious. Just because you're a coward and change your mind about religion because "What if?", doesn't mean the rest of us can't make up our minds and stick to it.

Why the name calling? Bit aggressive no :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Yeah, while you could have worded it less aggressively, I agree with much of what you're saying. I find the notion of "Oh when you get older/become a parent, you'll appreciate mass" quite condescending - if a person wants to start going to mass for those reasons, fine, but not everyone views things in that way and it doesn't make them wrong. I personally don't understand how a person would be non religious, then become religious, for any reason other than something extraordinary, e.g. an apparition.
    People I know who returned to church-going when their kids were born (a cousin, a friend's sibling) strike me as kinda hypocritical - and I'd wager much of it is because it's "the thing you do"/family expectations (I appreciate in the case of the latter it's sometimes easier to bow down for a quiet life, but a bit of humouring is surely enough rather than going the whole hog to "obey" them). Wanting to teach your kids about religion so that they have the option is fair enough, but surely that's possible without dragging them to mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

whilst most preachings against my current life practice I am going to start back this wk

Whilst this might not be spirit of the week here right now the fact is God has been very good to me and blessed my every prayer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kelle wrote: »
    After a 20-year absence I started going again recently.

As a child and teenager, I felt Religion was forced onto me by my parents - we used to say the rosary every night and go to mass every Sunday and holy days. I dreaded going back to school after Christmas as we'd do nothing else only read the Bible and get asked questions then get a good boll**king if we got any part of the story wrong. Then a priest would call to the school and ask questions at random, God help you if you couldn't answer the question! We were nervous wrecks. I developed a hatred of religion.

So, once I left home to go to college in London I celebrated my freedom by not going to mass. A few years later I started working and lived back home, but I warned my parents I was now working and independent and mass was not on my agenda. They were horrified but had to accept it.

Now I have children I feel compelled to go to mass(by my husband), it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I wouldn't be as fanatic as my parents were though, and certainly wouldn't force my children to go when they're older.

You felt religion was forced on you as a child?

Now you're forcing religion on your children?

Truly mind boggling. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes, every week. I think the real problem with this country is people pigeon-holeing all priests into the paedophile category. Yes, there were a lot of paedophile priests, but there were and are a lot more that aren't, and whether people here like it or not, priests (and religion for that matter) has a positive impact on many people's lives.

You felt religion was forced on you as a child?

Now you're forcing religion on your children?

Truly mind boggling. :confused:

Sensationalist nonsense :)

People of all beliefs, and lack of instil values into their children. Indeed any half-decent parent would, about how to live in a moral manner amongst other people.

There's a clear difference between her case as a child and the current situation she is in in that her parents, and priest got quite abusive if they got answers about religion wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

THFC wrote: »
    Yes, every week. I think the real problem with this country is people pigeon-holeing all priests into the paedophile category. Yes, there were a lot of paedophile priests, but there were and are a lot more that aren't, and whether people here like it or not, priests (and religion for that matter) has a positive impact on many people's lives.

Have to agree - I wish my neighbours either side were mass goers rather than the scum bags that head to the cashand carry @ 11 on sunday morning top buy cans and then turn on their blowers all day every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wish mass goers were true to christian values such as "Love thy neighbour" :pac:
    THFC wrote: »
    My non attendance doesn't really have anything to do with paedophile priests, moreso my lack of belief. If there weren't paedophile priests I still wouldn't attend mass. I made my mind up on that score as a teenager before the child abuse revelations in the early to mid 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jakkass wrote: »
    Sensationalist nonsense :)

'fraid not.

Advertisement