Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yes and on a side note....

Not another thinly veiled church bashing thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

'fraid not.

Only someone with an agenda of aggressive secularism would really hold the view that parents teaching their own children about values by which to base their lives on is "forcing" anything on anyone.

It's no more forcing than parents teaching their children to look both ways before crossing the road, tying their shoelaces amongst numerous other things. Or should parents stop forcing these agendas on their children too?

I'm quite sure eventually people will get tired of such loaded rhetoric!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

:DWhat I find is the ones that brag that they dont go to mass are the very ones bring their precious little ones in glass carriages and stretch limos to their first (and last) communion, then hogging the front seats with the camcorders and cameras flashing.
    Though it is funny to see them not knowing when to stand and sit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

An elderly man walks into a confessional. The following conversation ensues:
    Man: 'I am 92 years old, have a wonderful wife of 70 years, many children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Yesterday, I picked up two college girls, hitchhiking. We went to a motel, where I had sex with each of them three times.'
    Priest: 'Are you sorry for your sins?'
    Man: 'What sins?'
    Priest: 'What kind of a Catholic are you?'
    Man: 'I'm Jewish.'
    Priest: 'Why are you telling me all this?'
    Man: 'I'm 92 years old; I'm telling everybody!'

Two priest's were taking a piss in the urinals one day and the one priest looks down and see's a nicotine patch on the other guy's dick. He says "Im not really a rocket scientist or anything, but, isnt that supposed to be on your arm?" And the other priest goes "Nah, it's working fine. I'm down to two butts a day"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mass :confused: It's called CHURCH ffs! At least get that part right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Nope, I'm not brain dead and mumbling in crowds like drones doesn't appeal to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Banji wrote: »
    Nope, I'm not brain dead and mumbling in crowds like drones doesn't appeal to me.
    Your not a FF voter?
    I think I love you too! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

kingtut wrote: »
    Mass :confused: It's called CHURCH ffs! At least get that part right :rolleyes:
    West Brit nincompoopery - this is Ireland where we're all catholics! Even the non catholics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

No. Never been. Never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jakkass wrote: »
    Only someone with an agenda of aggressive secularism would really hold the view that parents teaching their own children about values by which to base their lives on is "forcing" anything on anyone.

It's no more forcing than parents teaching their children to look both ways before crossing the road, tying their shoelaces amongst numerous other things. Or should parents stop forcing these agendas on their children too?

Who said anything about values?

Her parents forced her into religion, and now she's doing the same to her children. It's pretty clear cut. Believe it or not, you can teach kids about values without mentioning a fictional sky fairy, or participating in cannibalism, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Dudess wrote: »
    I wish mass goers were true to christian values such as "Love thy neighbour" :pac:

My non attendance doesn't really have anything to do with paedophile priests, moreso my lack of belief. If there weren't paedophile priests I still wouldn't attend mass. I made my mind up on that score as a teenager before the child abuse revelations in the early to mid 90s.

Alright, i'm not saying people aren't going because of the (admittedly many) paedophile priests, I fully respect people's opinion on religion and their belief in a God, but it annoys me, and I'm sure a lot more people, when people pigeon-hole all priests into a certain category. Many non-religious people claim they are dissatisfied with the way the Church has treated them over the centuries, but aren't they being hypocrites by making sly comments about people who dedicate their lives to a good cause??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh I agree - it's idiotic to make blanket statements implying priest = therefore automatically paedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Nope dont go even at christmas etc & got married in a registry,

Tell me this please,

Whats the difference between a mass that is conducted at your local church by your local priest & a so called 'Black mass' that is conducted by another priest of sorts in another type of church?

Nope dont go even at christmas etc & got married in a registry,

Tell me this please,

Whats the difference between a mass that is conducted at your local church by your local priest & a so called 'Black mass' that is conducted by another priest of sorts in another type of church?
    No difference, they're both equally full of shít.

Who said anything about values?

Her parents forced her into religion, and now she's doing the same to her children. It's pretty clear cut. Believe it or not, you can teach kids about values without mentioning a fictional sky fairy, or participating in cannibalism, for instance.

Pure nonsense.

All she is doing, is encouraging her children to develop values that will inform their daily living. She's left open the possibility that her children can stop going if they don't want to go. It's rather simple.

Doesn't sound very forceful to me.

You're never going to convince believers that it is immoral or forceful to bring their children to church. Particularly when said believers think that there is a huge benefit in daily life for those who believe in Jesus. It's rather simple. Allowing ones children to experience this and make informed choices as to what they do later in life, seems perfectly reasonable.

You're never going to secularise every domestic situation. Nor arguably would it be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

THFC wrote: »
    Yes, every week. I think the real problem with this country is people pigeon-holeing all priests into the paedophile category. Yes, there were a lot of paedophile priests, but there were and are a lot more that aren't, and whether people here like it or not, priests (and religion for that matter) has a positive impact on many people's lives.

question, if you were part of, say a sports club, that was involved in as much scandal, controversy, child rape, cover ups, mysoginy, dark age belief and general scumbaggery as the Catholic Church is, would you still be a member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Teaching children to look both ways before crossing the road is part of teaching a child to cross the road. This is an essential life skill. (Calling it a skill is a bit much, but it is something a child needs to learn).

Teaching a child to tie a shoelace is essential if they wear laced shoes.

Teaching a child just one belief without presenting the options is basically just brainwashing. Good thing teenagers like to rebel :D

In conclusion, your comparisons don't make any sense.

No difference, they're both equally full of shít.

That may be so, but my point is that they are both simply ritualistic ceremonies designed to create trance like states by following a set pattern & in doing so leading the audience to an expected & anticipated conclusion, thus instilling on them a sense of belonging & participation.

Religion is the opium of the masses designed to keep you hooked. Way to much at stake to have your addicts simply quit. €€€€€€€€€€€€

krudler wrote: »
    question, if you were part of, say a sports club, that was involved in as much scandal, controversy, child rape, cover ups, mysoginy, dark age belief and general scumbaggery as the Catholic Church is, would you still be a member?
    If im not mistaken was there not a a few of the above involved in a swimming club, a basketball player in the us also liked the young ones and a few of the soccer players arent too bad at either........

Pure nonsense.

All she is doing, is encouraging her children to develop values that will inform their daily living. She's left open the possibility that her children can stop going if they don't want to go. It's rather simple.

You're never going to convince believers that it is immoral or forceful to bring their children to church. Particularly when said believers think that there is a huge benefit in daily life for those who believe in Jesus. It's rather simple. Allowing ones children to experience this and make informed choices as to what they do later in life, seems perfectly reasonable.

You're never going to secularise every domestic situation. Nor arguably would it be a good thing.

Values have zero to do with religion though, be nice to people was a thought process most people would have without any christian influence whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Pure nonsense.

What have I said in this thread that suggests to you that I'm trying to convince anyone of anything?

I'm just highlighting the fact that she was forced into religion, and now she's doing the same to her children, even though she's only doing it because of her husband. It doesn't sound to me that she is a believer. It's quite sad really.

Which values do you think she should focus on though? What about the whole gay = sin value? Kids need to know these things now while they're young and impressionable so in 10 years or so they can deny people their human rights. :rolleyes:

Tell me, if you had children and your 5 year old son says ''Daddy, I don't want to go to church anymore, I don't believe in God'', what will you do? Will you respect that?

If im not mistaken was there not a a few of the above involved in a swimming club, a basketball player in the us also liked the young ones and a few of the soccer players arent too bad at either........

Yeah but you dont see the NBA trying to make out the victims of rape wind up being excommunicated if they dont keep quiet about their ordeals, and making sure the offenders and protected and treated almost above the law for decades.

Banji wrote: »
    Teaching children to look both ways before crossing the road is part of teaching a child to cross the road. This is an essential life skill. (Calling it a skill is a bit much, but it is something a child needs to learn).

Teaching a child to tie a shoelace is essential if they wear laced shoes.

Teaching a child just one belief without presenting the options is basically just brainwashing. Good thing teenagers like to rebel :D

In conclusion, your comparisons don't make any sense.

I'm saying that parents influence their children, and teach them many life skills, and life values, that's my point. Religion, belief, morality and other things come along with it.

If we are going to draw lines down how parents can naturally relate to their children, where do the lines end?

My point is if you believe there are clear benefits in teaching your children about the faith you hold, that will inevitably happen. Indeed, it will happen in respect to many other beliefs that parents without belief hold no doubt.

As for teenage rebellion, it ended up bringing me out of and back into faith within a couple of years. Admittedly, I'm glad for the experience of having done both in retrospect :)
    I.E - Results may vary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That may be so, but my point is that they are both simply ritualistic ceremonies designed to create trance like states by following a set pattern & in doing so leading the audience to an expected & anticipated conclusion, thus instilling on them a sense of belonging & participation.

Religion is the opium of the masses designed to keep you hooked. Way to much at stake to have your addicts simply quit. €€€€€€€€€€€€
    That applies primarily to the subset of people who go to church every week without any real motivation to do so. Those who are proactive don't find it to be a set pattern. Those that truly and genuinely "want to be there" will not sit in drone-like.
    Anyway...
    Threads about religion in AH should be banned outright, they cause far too many rifts between users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I feel my views of christiandoom is more protestant than catholic yet I am a practicing catholic.

then f_ck of ye proddy baxtid (-:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Only for funerals, but I refuse to take part in all the mumbo jumbo rituals. Was at a funeral during the Summer, sitting down the back with my uncle and he gave out to me for refusing to kneel and pray with everyone else even though it was a certainty that 50% of the people in the church didn't even believe in all that nonsense.
    Told him to take a running jump for himself, that I wasn't going to fake it just to fit in and show "respect" and that it would be highly disrespectful to true blue believers if I did just go through motions.

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah but you dont see the NBA trying to make out the victims of rape wind up being excommunicated if they dont keep quiet about their ordeals, and making sure the offenders and protected and treated almost above the law for decades.

No you dont, I agree but you are prepared to accept it and tar all priests with the one brush.

What have I said in this thread that suggests to you that I'm trying to convince anyone of anything?

Honestly, I don't get why you care? What loss is it to you if someone believes in a benign manner if in the end you think we actually just go into the ground and rot?
    I'm just highlighting the fact that she was forced into religion, and now she's doing the same to her children, even though she's only doing it because of her husband. It doesn't sound to me that she is a believer. It's quite sad really.

You're highlighting inaccurately I think, but rest aside.
    Which values do you think she should focus on though? What about the whole gay = sin value? Kids need to know these things now while they're young and impressionable so in 10 years or so they can deny people their human rights. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think she should focus on the whole Gospel, but I'm biased clearly.

I think God's way is the best way to live. Simply put, that ranges from finances, sexuality, work, how we relate with each other, how we deal with the environment, clear honesty.
    Tell me, if you had children and your 5 year old son says ''Daddy, I don't want to go to church anymore, I don't believe in God'', what will you do? Will you respect that?

Admittedly, I wouldn't leave any hypothetical children I had at home until they are old enough to be trusted to take care of themselves. Particularly if their mother and I would be at church. At a certain age I would be more inclined to let them do this certainly.

I don't think anyone can really consider fully whether or not to reject a religion at 5. Personally, I turned agnostic when I started secondary school, and became a believer again when I was finishing, pretty much.
    krudler wrote:
    Values have zero to do with religion though, be nice to people was a thought process most people would have without any christian influence whatsoever

It depends. People can have secular values. Personally, my value system is based on Christianity, this is still true for millions despite how many may wish it weren't the case.

That applies primarily to the subset of people who go to church every week without any real motivation to do so. Those who are proactive don't find it to be a set pattern. Those that truly and genuinely "want to be there" will not sit in drone-like.
    Anyway...
    Threads about religion in AH should be banned outright, they cause far too many rifts between users.

Your not seeing it on a bigger level, the entire notion of the church is driven by power & money so it is the very subset of people that attend without any motivation that is all that really interests the church as this is where the money is at, the rest can do as they wish as it can only continue the con at worst. The majority of folks that attend the church are the former & not the latter. If you doubt the motivation of the church is money then see how far you would get by asking for the vatican bank to be subject to financial audits.

No way, far to much money gained in ill gotten ways for that to happen & conveniently the only religion that has a seperate state within a state not subject to any laws bar it own.

• Advertisement

One last post from me on this was something i read but cant remember where,
    I thank atheism for removing the fear of death, for if i do not beleive there is a heaven or hell i can simply get on with enjoying & cellebrating life

Advertisement