Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,954 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You can keep your mass and your religion. Lie in's on a Sunday can't be beaten.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

nullzero wrote: »
    You can keep your mass and your religion. Lie in's on a Sunday can't be beaten.

You obviously dont have little ones so:D

No lie in's for Is mise:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"and what if we picked the wrong religion? every week we're just making god madder and madder!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Nope, I don't go to mass. My parents go every week though, and used to make myself and my brother go when we were children. I'm not actually sure if they're religious... or if they're just so used to going that they can't imagine anything else. I mean, my mam doesn't know the words of 'Our Father'. I think she goes for a bit of a chat afterwards.

°°°°°

You obviously dont have little ones so:D

No lie in's for Is mise:(

It could be worse, you could be at mass.:pac:

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Mass... its just a precursor for Pub on a sunday afternoon. Well it was when I used to go!

Novella wrote: »
    My parents go every week though.................I mean, my mam doesn't know the words of 'Our Father'. I think she goes for a bit of a chat afterwards.

If your mam has been going every week since you were kids & doesnt know the Our father i think its safe to assume she iis going for the chat afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

...Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Your not seeing it on a bigger level, the entire notion of the church is driven by power & money so it is the very subset of people that attend without any motivation that is all that really interests the church as this is where the money is at, the rest can do as they wish as it can only continue the con at worst. The majority of folks that attend the church are the former & not the latter. If you doubt the motivation of the church is money then see how far you would get by asking for the vatican bank to be subject to financial audits.

No way, far to much money gained in ill gotten ways for that to happen & conveniently the only religion that has a seperate state within a state not subject to any laws bar it own.
    Which Church? Last I checked there were three main denominations and this thread seemingly did not specify which one. You cannot taint every denomination and hundreds of millions of people as being drones unabated and without comment.

°°°°°

punchdrunk wrote: »
    ...Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

"I thought the last one went really well. Oh god I love saying mass".:D

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I have to be honest here, i think i have been a bit of a hipocrit........i used to pay to go to the ASYLUM every week religiously & allow my self to be put into a trance like state by the guy spinning the tunes & feel like it was an other worldly experience.......does that mean i participated in a type of mass willingly:D

Which Church? Last I checked there were three main denominations and this thread seemingly did not specify which one. You cannot taint every denomination and hundreds of millions of people as being drones unabated and without comment.

The one being run by the Pope i was referring too but i think you will find they all have their roots in the same place......no really, they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That may be so, but my point is that they are both simply ritualistic ceremonies designed to create trance like states by following a set pattern & in doing so leading the audience to an expected & anticipated conclusion, thus instilling on them a sense of belonging & participation.

Religion is the opium of the masses designed to keep you hooked. Way to much at stake to have your addicts simply quit. €€€€€€€€€€€€

I'm sorry but that's the biggest load of sht i have ever heard. Religion teaches a set of morals by which to lead your life and gains nothing by having a larger following.

°°°°°

THFC wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's the biggest load of sht i have ever heard. Religion teaches a set of morals by which to lead your life and gains nothing by having a larger following.

Thats true on one level but religion doesn't have the monoploy on morality and religious institutions are vastly wealthy and have a lot to gain from a large following.

Glazers Out!

The one being run by the Pope i was referring too but i think you will find they all have their roots in the same place......no really, they all do.

Oh ffs, yeh dont actually believe that. If yeh do yeh dont deserve an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Oh I do love the old line of religion teaches values and morals. Like all us non-believers are immoral scumbags who drag our kids up instead of raising them.

Children should be taught about all religions during primary and secondary school, and I don't mean "Catholicism is the one true religion but, since I have to, I'll make a half-assed attempt to talk to you about Hinduism/Buddhism/Judaism/etc, but make no mistake kiddies, follow any of these and you're going to hell". They should then be given the choice when they hit 16 years of age to join whatever religion they bloody well want.

How anyone can argue that a child being brought to mass from a young age isn't having religion forced on them is absolutely baffling. You have made the choice for them and exposing them to one religion does not allow them to make an "informed decision". Such utter bullshít.

I look forward to teaching my future children all the morals and values they need in my secular domestic bliss away from the "utter nonsense" that is religion. If they choose to follow something when they are old enough to actually make that decision I'll support them 100%.

°°°°°

Oh ffs, yeh dont actually believe that. If yeh do yeh dont deserve an opinion.

Are those the morals your religion gave you in action?
    If you don't like what they're saying be a good christian and forgive them.

Glazers Out!

Thats true on one level but religion doesn't have the monoploy on morality and religious institutions are vastly wealthy and have a lot to gain from a large following.

Yes, some "religious institutions" like Scientology maybe. I dont understand why people that claim to have no interest or belief in God/religion are so keen to slate the Church at every opportunity.

By completley ignoring the context of how i came to deliver the post you referenced does not allow you to change the direction of what i was getting at, It is performed in a ritualistic ceremonial way to keep the followers in a comfort zone leading them back every time to the church as the only sanctuary of goodness that should be observed.

Dont forget to make a donation before you leave mind you......wait, wait i see something here,

20 attendees this week putting in the basket......must get that up to 100 attendees next week.

Clever aint it.......oh and heres the best part, who in the state are exempt from paying taxes??????

1. The really rich
    2. Gangsters
    3. The church

Oh wait sorry number 3 is actually number 1 & 2 also.

°°°°°

Yes, some "religious institutions" like Scientology maybe. I dont understand why people that claim to have no interest or belief in God/religion are so keen to slate the Church at every opportunity.

So the Catholic church are living on the bread line then are they?
    Just because somebody doesn't follow some worn out dogmatic principal doesn't mean they don't believe in god.

There's a pretty big gap between religion and spirituality.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Are those the morals your religion gave you in action?
    If you don't like what they're saying be a good christian and forgive them.

Why forgive them?:-S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Simple question. Do you go or not!!!

Every Sunday.

°°°°°

I'm assuming you're a christian (my apologies if that's not the case), so therefor it's your duty as a christian to turn the other cheek and forgive those who trespass against you.
    I thought that was the idea, although I'm open to correction from an expert.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

WWJD?

By completley ignoring the context of how i came to deliver the post you referenced does not allow you to change the direction of what i was getting at, It is performed in a ritualistic ceremonial way to keep the followers in a comfort zone leading them back every time to the church as the only sanctuary of goodness that should be observed.

Dont forget to make a donation before you leave mind you......wait, wait i see something here,

20 attendees this week putting in the basket......must get that up to 100 attendees next week.

Clever aint it.......oh and heres the best part, who in the state are exempt from paying taxes??????

1. The really rich
    2. Gangsters
    3. The church

Oh wait sorry number 3 is actually number 1 & 2 also.

Thanks for proving my point.

I'm assuming you're a christian (my apologies if that's not the case), so therefor it's your duty as a christian to turn the other cheek and forgive those who trespass against you.
    I thought that was the idea, although I'm open to correction from an expert.

You missed the point. I meant why would I need to forgive them? As in what did they do wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep, go to "mass" nearly every weekend.

*This includes more than the traditional Catholic mass service. By mass I mean religious services. Though the majority of the time I just go to a Catholic one.

Mmmmm.....214 nays to 44 yays so far......i wonder why its such a negative for going to mass, obviously people are deluded & lost sheep that are unable to see the church for what it really stands for.....poor lost souls dont know whats good for them. Strange that seeing as we are in an age where we are more educated & enlightened as to how the world etc. works hw we are still so misguided.:rolleyes:

°°°°°

You missed the point. I meant why would I need to forgive them? As in what did they do wrong?

As far as I'm concerned they did nothing wrong. But I'm not the one saying they don't deserve an opinion for what they said.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

no,
    but i do fart in its general direction

Advertisement