Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Mmmmm.....214 nays to 44 yays so far......i wonder why its such a negative for going to mass, obviously people are deluded & lost sheep that are unable to see the church for what it really stands for.....poor lost souls dont know whats good for them. Strange that seeing as we are in an age where we are more educated & enlightened as to how the world etc. works hw we are still so misguided.:rolleyes:

No, because the devil invented the internet. If you were to ask the regular 79 year old Mayo woman walking down the street then you would get a proper poll result of the opinion of the Irish population, you filthy heathen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

strobe wrote: »
    No, because the devil invented the internet. If you were to ask the regular 79 year old Mayo woman walking down the street then you would get a proper poll result of the opinion of the Irish population heathen.

THE DEVIL IS CERN!!!:eek:
    *Starts taking more heed to the black hole conspiracy claims.*

Oh and Strobe you meant the world wide web. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mmmmm.....214 nays to 44 yays so far......i wonder why its such a negative for going to mass, obviously people are deluded & lost sheep that are unable to see the church for what it really stands for.....poor lost souls dont know whats good for them. Strange that seeing as we are in an age where we are more educated & enlightened as to how the world etc. works hw we are still so misguided.:rolleyes:

You're only showing how narrow-minded you are, and a lot of people are towards the Church by implying you're better and smarter than those who believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

why on earth would I want to attend a Women Hating Paedo Club Play ?

nullzero wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned they did nothing wrong. But I'm not the one saying they don't deserve an opinion for what they said.

What he said was totally unfounded. He is the perfect example of some one trying to force their beliefs on other, like (and I have no problem admitting this) the church in the past. A bit hypocritical if yeh ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

havn't gonne in years but was an alter boy back in the day,got a pain in the arse doing it,i bent over backwards for those f*ckers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

THFC wrote: »
    You're only showing how narrow-minded you are, and a lot of people are towards the Church by implying you're better and smarter than those who believe.
    Generally, that's actually true.

Anyways, I've dragged myself into an endless debate which was not my intention. I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Sorry you are innaccurate there, i do not think nor am i impying that i am somehow smarter than anyone who goes to mass. I quoted the poll result to you & simply threw in a little sarcasm to boot, but you completley ignored the embedded question,

Why is the result such a negative for going to mass?

Now i did deliver with sarcasm my view that i find it a little arrogant that 'Beleivers' should then question my non 'Beleif' when it appears that the poll would suggest that it should be the other way round as the 'Beleivers' are looking to be in the minority, so i would actually return what you said about me & suggest that it is the minority that is being narrow minded here in the face of the consensus of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

sligopark wrote: »
    then f_ck of ye proddy baxtid (-:

I am not a Protestant. I am a Catholic bordering on Agnostic!

• Advertisement

I am not a Protestant. I am a Catholic bordering on Agnostic!

How are you bordering Snuggles? Are there any parts of Catholic doctrine you don't follow? Virgin birth, no contraception, transubstantiation, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

Yeah I go weekly, more of habit than anything. We always had a time that the whole family went to the same every week so habit stemmed from there. I would believe in God and the Catholic Faith but just don't agree with (the men of) the churches action over the years.
    The sooner a new Pope comes in and priest are allowed marry the better!

Anyways, I've dragged myself into an endless debate which was not my intention. I'm off to bed.

Dont forget to say your prayers before you hit the hay;)

How are you bordering Snuggles? Are there any parts of Catholic doctrine you don't follow? Virgin birth, no contraception, etc?

If you go back a couple of my posts you will see a list with why I wouldn't go to mass altogether. Well to answer your question its both aspects you have mentioned. The long and the short of it, well its everything to do with the Catholic religion. I quoted that post to make it clearer for you.
    I can give you an idea as to why I'd stop going to mass altogether.
    1. I do not understand or comprehend or even believe the whole adam and eve concept, the virign mary, jesus being concieved to the virgin mary, apparitions, jesus himself (I believe he exisited but the whole story behind him I'm not sure If I believe all of it)
    2. Them being against abortion, contraceptive pill and sex, being so contratictory that its better to have a kid when in marriage yet calling it a sin to have sex in marriage as well as outside of marriage as well as having a kid is sin whether in marriage or out of wedlock, the notion of conception of when it happens and when it doesn't happen
    3. Catholic religion is cult and nothing more
    4. Jesus wasn't a Christian
    5. Priests cannot marry or have kids unless they left the order
    6. That priests and nuns can stay celibate? I honestly don't know how they can give that up completely even the most innocent person even a virgin couldn't give up celibacy that easily
    7. Priests that act like dictators and think they have authority over ones choices, they seem to relate to men more than women, take people for granted, expect money
    8. Never trust the church 100% when growing up always knew there was something dodgy
    9. Obviously the whole abuse issues has put me off the church even more
    10. Lost all faith in the church as a whole, don't half believe what they say any more obviously they might have good moral stories and so on to proclaim thats understandable if its related to real life

The above and the following post explains why I am bording between being a Catholic and Agnostic!

I know I shouldn't bother. I have to really though, my mam be ashamed of me If I didn't. She only give out to me and nag me to go so I go just to make her happy. Yes I am subconciously dragged there by my mother! I kinda have to go she is kinda involved with parish stuff so think people might talk if I didn't go to mass. Too many people know me locally so. It be much easier if I didn't live at home I wouldn't bother my hat going. When living with my mam I have to go. She even made me go if when I were living in Dublin. I kept trying to get out of it and she wasn't hearing none of it. Tried to get out of it around the time of exams there would be war so no point trying to talk herself out of it. The only time I get away with it if I were staying with family or on holiday. I wouldn't go to mass. Its an excuse to get out of the house anyway and doll myself up. To be seen, and to be seen going to mass is as much benefit I get out of it otherwise I be the talk of the town.

Mass is no more satisfying than having to get up early in the morning!

If you go back a couple of my posts you will see a list with why I wouldn't go to mass altogether. Well to answer your question its both aspects you have mentioned. The long and the short of it, well its everything to do with the Catholic religion. I quoted that post to make it clearer for you.

The above and the following post explains why I am bording between being a Catholic and Agnostic!

Well thanks for that. But specifically, do you agree with all of Catholic doctrine as set out by the Vatican and the pope: aka Gods voice on Earth? The no contraception thing for example? I have learned that a lot of self proclaimed Catholics are not Catholics at all. Not in belief and not in action. One recently told me they didn't believe Jesus was resurrected after being crucified ("still a Catholic though"), so I was just curious if you were actually a Catholic or do you just use the label? Ever use condoms (if that's not a personal question :rolleyes: )?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Do any of you realise that there are thousands of 'cathloics' in this country who are not 'roman catholics'? Show them some respect !!

Please ;)

I have a question....more an observation really but,

I am not trying to shock with this or be graphic in anny way to offend,

Men are physical, anatomical beings that are driven by chemicals & hormones to reproduce in order to sustain the species (as are women but the context of this is related to priests). Our testicles produce sperm which need to be released (by design) & we have overwhelming urges to seek sexual partners & engage in sexual activity.

If god created man in his own image then is it not a ironic contradiction for the supposed representaives of god on the planet teach abstinance from sex & masturbation?

Surley this is going against god as if we are created in gods image then god is a man & all i have said prior then applies to god also?

if no then why not & shouldnt we then if we are true beleivers in god insist that this notion of abstinance from sex & masturbation taught by the church be discarded as it is actually blasphemous & allow priest to marry & have children.

I have a question....more an observation really but,

I am not trying to shock with this or be graphic in anny way to offend,

Men are physical, anatomical beings that are driven by chemicals & hormones to reproduce in order to sustain the species (as are women but the context of this is related to priests). Our testicles produce sperm which need to be released (by design) & we have overwhelming urges to seek sexual partners & engage in sexual activity.

If god created man in his own image then is it not a ironic contradiction for the supposed representaives of god on the planet teach abstinance from sex & masturbation?

Surley this is going against god as if we are created in gods image then god is a man & all i have said prior then applies to god also?

if no then why not & shouldnt we then if we are true beleivers in god insist that this notion of abstinance from sex & masturbation taught by the church be discarded as it is actually blasphemous & allow priest to marry & have children.

Because if priests have sex then they will have wives. If priests have wives then they will have children. If priests have children then they might leave their wealth to their families rather than to the RCC. Wealth in = good. Wealth out = bad. Catholicism 101.

Edit: Sorry, I went a bit mad there..... I mean, of course, because God said so.

Well thanks for that. But specifically, do you agree with all of Catholic doctrine as set out by the Vatican and the pope: aka Gods voice on Earth? The no contraception thing for example? I have learned that a lot of self proclaimed Catholics are not Catholics at all. Not in belief and not in action. One recently told me they didn't believe Jesus was resurrected after being crucified ("still a Catholic though"), so I was just curious if you were actually a Catholic or do you just use the label? Ever use condoms (if that's not a personal question :rolleyes: )?

I don't read the bible and have never read the bible in my life! I do not agree with most of the Catholic Doctrine set out by the Vatican/Pope.
    I believe God existed but I don't believe God created earth or had a voice on earth. He is a non existant being in the sky! I am all for contraception now I would be a little warry when it comes the likes of the pill, no problems with the actual pill and girls taking them for protect from pregnancies just for me for health concerns is all I'd be concerned about. I'd rather condoms better option all round. Never used condoms myself 'cause I never had a situation where I had to due to abstinence. When that situation arises I would be all in favour of condoms. Don't think its wrong to use condoms and the pill. Might have reservations about abortion. Think having the choice is not a problem but think abortion shouldn't be taken into lightly think it should only be considered for health reasons of the mother/baby or under certain situations. I kinda believe Jesus's resurrection but one thing I find difficult to believe that he was born to a virgin or that he he was concieved as the immaculate conception think its likely she had artifical insemination to have that to happen in modern life! The other thing I cannot fathom is the fact he never had a love life or didn't have some intimate situations with either a man or a woman. I can't see how he could have stayed celibate or at least not have had touched a woman intimatley or not have had some kind of sexual relations with a woman. I think that Mary Magdalene had more of a role to play in his life and in the church at that time. I believe she was the real Jesus but because she was a woman the church didn't take her seriously and that the church had misogynist tendancies towards women. Think its possible he had a secret love affair with her and quiet possibably married her and had a child together! Which of course the church want to hide!!! Having read the Da Vinci Code really opened up my opinion of the church in many ways. The whole adam and eve thing well I think if they did exist then well, eve was born first then adam, maybe she gave birth to him or that he was made flesh from her rather than the other way around. The whole body of christ and blood of christ made from wine...gibberish. Confessions are a farce, no sooner have you confessed to the priest your sins, you will have sinned in no longer than 5 minutes after i.e. swearing, thinking of materialistic things etc.

I probably have shown my beliefs in one go there. Think many agnostics would agree with me.

If priests have children then they might leave their wealth to their families rather than to the RCC. Wealth in = good. Wealth out = bad. Catholicism 101.

Ahh now, your just being narrow minded there:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

I don't read the bible and have never read the bible in my life! I do not agree with most of the Catholic Doctrine set out by the Vatican/Pope.
    I believe God existed but I don't believe God created earth or had a voice on earth. He is a non existant being in the sky! I am all for contraception now I would be a little warry when it comes the likes of the pill, no problems with the actual pill and girls taking them for protect from pregnancies just for me for health concerns is all I'd be concerned about. I'd rather condoms better option all round. Never used condoms myself 'cause I never had a situation where I had to due to abstinence. When that situation arises I would be all in favour of condoms. Don't think its wrong to use condoms and the pill. Might have reservations about abortion. Think having the choice is not a problem but think abortion shouldn't be taken into lightly think it should only be considered for health reasons of the mother/baby or under certain situations. I kinda believe Jesus's resurrection but one thing I find difficult to believe that he was born to a virgin or that he he was concieved as the immaculate conception think its likely she had artifical insemination to have that to happen in modern life! The other thing I cannot fathom is the fact he never had a love life or didn't have some intimate situations with either a man or a woman. I can't see how he could have stayed celibate or at least not have had touched a woman intimatley or not have had some kind of sexual relations with a woman. I think that Mary Magdalene had more of a role to play in his life and in the church at that time. I believe she was the real Jesus but because she was a woman the church didn't take her seriously and that the church had misogynist tendancies towards women. Think its possible he had a secret love affair with her and quiet possibably married her and had a child together! Which of course the church want to hide!!! Having read the Da Vinci Code really opened up my opinion of the church in many ways. The whole adam and eve thing well I think if they did exist then well, eve was born first then adam, maybe she gave birth to him or that he was made flesh from her rather than the other way around. The whole body of christ and blood of christ made from wine...gibberish. Confessions are a farce, no sooner have you confessed to the priest your sins, you will have sinned in no longer than 5 minutes after i.e. swearing, thinking of materialistic things etc.

I probably have shown my beliefs in one go there. Think many agnostics would agree with me.

Then you are not a Catholic Snuggles, not even slightly, not even ala carte. You are probably not even a Christian as far as most Christians are concerned.

I could give you the user name of a poster on here that is in a very similar situation to you (if she agrees). She went through a pretty extensive unbaptism of fire recently in a different forum on here. You two seem to have a lot on common as related to this topic. PM me if you want to talk to her and I will PM her your username.

Then you are not a Catholic Snuggles, not even slightly, not even ala carte.

I could give you the user name of a poster on here that is in a very similar situation to you (if she agrees). She went through a pretty extensive unbaptism of fire recently in a different forum on here. You two seem to have a lot on common as related to this topic. PM me if you want to talk to her and I will PM her your username.

Really even though I am technically a 'Practicing Catholic' that goes to mass but not virtually present and whats being said goes over my head. I am considered not Catholic? Thats a weight of my shoulders phew I thought I was the only one that felt that I was a Catholic and turns out I am not? So I am in actual fact agnostic?:confused: Ya sure PM us with our usernames, would like to get an insight into what she thinks. Thanks.

Really even though I am technically a 'Practicing Catholic' that goes to mass but not virtually present and whats being said goes over my head. I am considered not Catholic? Thats a weight of my shoulders phew I thought I was the only one that felt that I was a Catholic and turns out I am not? So I am in actual fact agnostic?:confused: Ya sure PM us with our usernames, would like to get an insight into what she thinks. Thanks.

Sorry Snuggles, it might just be me, but that reads very sarcastic and defensive to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything. Really I'm not. I just noticed some similarities between what you are saying now and what someone else said earlier, both of you seemed to have inconsistencies between what you proclaimed to believe in and what it seemed you actually did believe. Both of you seemed to be distressed by it. So I thought it might be beneficial to both of you if you could discuss it together.

I come in peace. Chill.

Sorry Snuggles, it might just be me, but that reads very sarcastic and defensive to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything. Really I'm not. I just noticed some similarities between what you are saying now and what someone else said earlier, both of you seemed to have inconsistencies between what you proclaimed to believe in and what it seemed you actually did believe. Both of you seemed to be distressed by it. So I thought it might be beneficial to both of you if you could discuss it together.

I come in peace. Chill.

Really didn't think I was being sarcastic so sorry if you felt like that. Its only just really occurred to me that I am not really a proper catholic. I go back a year ago and realise I couldn't even remember what homilies were said. I go to mass listen to them but ignore what is being said can't remember what it was about if asked! I suppose I have been waning a bit in the past few months regarding mass, I stopped saying prayers in general and often forget how to say them even when at mass! I am itching to be somewhere else a lot of the time when at mass. I wouldn't say I am not distressed by the revelation but its really only now, now that you pointed out to me that I am not a catholic which I have clearly denined myself to believe that I was one at all the past few months. I blatantly lied to my mother that I went to mass when I were in the middle of exams, I had no time for mass I was up to my eyes in study whilst away from home. My head was filled up with so much information from study that I had no room for trying to remember prayers. Mass was meaningless for me around then when I had to go when I were at home just before exams. I was literally manipulated by my mother to go to a procession made to go in such away that I couldn't escape and I had to go back home so annoyed that I missed a few hours of study that I had to catch up with so late in the night that night.

May the peace be with you! I shall chill indeed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

"Religion afflicts itself upon the ignorant. Spirituality on the slightly insane".

........:rolleyes:.....:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:.......:rolleyes:...............:pac:!

/legs it

Sorry you are innaccurate there, i do not think nor am i impying that i am somehow smarter than anyone who goes to mass. I quoted the poll result to you & simply threw in a little sarcasm to boot, but you completley ignored the embedded question,

Why is the result such a negative for going to mass?

Now i did deliver with sarcasm my view that i find it a little arrogant that 'Beleivers' should then question my non 'Beleif' when it appears that the poll would suggest that it should be the other way round as the 'Beleivers' are looking to be in the minority, so i would actually return what you said about me & suggest that it is the minority that is being narrow minded here in the face of the consensus of opinion.

So you're saying people in the minority are narrow minded? So 300-400 years ago you think people who didn't believe were narrow minded??? Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not a christian so no :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Oh I do love the old line of religion teaches values and morals. Like all us non-believers are immoral scumbags who drag our kids up instead of raising them.

Non-believers can be moral. Nonetheless, Judeo-Christianity is a good framework by which to base your living on. So yes, it does teach strong values and morals.
    Children should be taught about all religions during primary and secondary school, and I don't mean "Catholicism is the one true religion but, since I have to, I'll make a half-assed attempt to talk to you about Hinduism/Buddhism/Judaism/etc, but make no mistake kiddies, follow any of these and you're going to hell". They should then be given the choice when they hit 16 years of age to join whatever religion they bloody well want.

They should be taught about all faiths, but their parents have the right to teach them about faith and belief at home. If you believe that Christianity is really the truth, it is evident that you won't want your child to miss out on it.
    How anyone can argue that a child being brought to mass from a young age isn't having religion forced on them is absolutely baffling. You have made the choice for them and exposing them to one religion does not allow them to make an "informed decision". Such utter bullshít.

I still believe this to be nonsense, particularly when looking over my own experience. Going to church does not make you a Christian, contrary to popular opinion. Going to church does help arguably, but in many cases it doesn't. You need to actually believe for yourself, and make sense of it for yourself.

In order to do this, you need to make a decision for yourself as well rather than having mum or dad just bring you to church every week. They won't be around forever to guide you in your decisions on spirituality. It's a part of growing up really.
    I look forward to teaching my future children all the morals and values they need in my secular domestic bliss away from the "utter nonsense" that is religion. If they choose to follow something when they are old enough to actually make that decision I'll support them 100%.

You'll be doing pretty much the same thing as the Christian though. The only difference is that your values differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Weddings and funerals only. Stopped going otherwise many years ago.

I sometimes drop into impressive churches to catch my thoughts if I pass them though. I actually like the buildings and the solemnity/peacefulness of them - always have done, even as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

You'll be doing pretty much the same thing as the Christian though. The only difference is that your values differ.

That's a huge difference. He will be teaching his children based on his experience of the world and modern ethics. By contrast, christians teach their children a code of morality based on blind unquestioning absolutism (eg. condoms are bad), fear of retribution and derived from a book written by primitive farmers and fishermen with little understanding of how the world works (eg. Sun revolving around the earth).

Advertisement