Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to mass

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Please add your intelligent contribution to a yes or no question. You have insulted me and therefore must be brought to divine justice. How very 'Christian' of you. Take him away boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Please add your intelligent contribution to a yes or no question. You have insulted me and therefore must be brought to divine justice. How very 'Christian' of you. Take him away boys.

Who are you? a 23 and a half yo UCD student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

UCD?! Do thee insults never stop with this one! Quick mods, deal with this upstart!

UCD?! Do thee insults never stop with this one! Quick mods, deal with this upstart!

So I started the insults..? What was the intention of your posting "I am out of bread?"

• Advertisement

It is a metaphor for needing the light of Christ in my life, by which I need to experience the divine Trinity. This is not the fine college but in fact the Son, the Father and the Holy Spirit. All are separate but are in fact one also. I know this is a difficult concept but please dwell upon the Power Rangers, whose separate machines form the one great and mighty Megazord! It is quite similar. Also the shop is quite near the church.

:pac:
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Enough lads, go and play with someone else if ye can't get a long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

THFC wrote: »
    So you're saying people in the minority are narrow minded? So 300-400 years ago you think people who didn't believe were narrow minded??? Hmmm...

Touche
    AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    If you don't accept that the three major religions have their roots in the same place you're being a bit naive.
    THFC wrote: »
    I do believe what you are saying. But he was implying all religious order's have similar roots.

What in fact i was getting at was what AAAAAAAhhh touched on......

All three major religions are derived originally from the same point of source but yet all three now beleive something different to the other having diversified, that means that it is a FACT that two are incorrect in their faith if you are a believer in one.........how can anyone be sure so they are right & the others are wrong.......it really is hoping for something that is most likeley untrue.

Can i just throw something else into the ring that has always puzzled me,

Jesus was approx 30 years of age when the romans crucified him yes?
    The avearge life sapn we can assume was no more than 45 - 50 years of age yes?
    Shortly after the crucifiction St.Peter left Israel to go and set up the chruch of Jesus christ in Rome yes?
    Now if we assume peter was approx the same age as jesus he would have had to be setting up the foundations of the church very soon after so as to be able to have it established & continue on to this present day on the site where the vatican is & supposedly St. Peters relics are buried in the vatican, as he would have only had 15 years or so to do this.
    What i dont understand is how was Jesus christs right hand man permitted to go around preaching in ROME! the heart of the very place of the people who crucified his leader in Israel for preaching about god & that he was the son of god. How could he have possibly got away with this?
    Also then ask yourself why would peter go to the home of the people who killed his leader & remain there for the rest of his life in the midst of people who despised him & his people?

It just doesnt add up to me that the vatican is built on the site of St Peters church & he is actually buried there but i am open to information as to why & how this happened in a max. 15 year period after Jesus was crucified by the Romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Simple question. Do you go or not!!!

Simple answer : No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

No, cos it's, you know.......bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

In all fairness its not a simple es or no,as many will say no yet still go on christmas in such.

While many dont go to church it does not mean they are not religiouse.Ireland has changed to a counrtry where religion is becoming a more personal thing.Being a more modern interepratation of religion,similar to what its going on throughout most of Europe.

While agnostic it would sadden too see the church die in this country as despite the damages done by a small % of those in the organisation((as with most))it should not outshine the good it has done,and continues to do so to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Poll is fairly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Poll is fairly accurate.

Dont be so narrow minded:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

My mam used to go and make me go too, I stopped when I moved out. However my mam recently stopped going and you know why?; (and this is well sick) the priest in our parish who used to do the "children's mass" (with songs and dances and stuff) was recently charged with child molesting :mad::(:eek:, that's right he was incharge of the children's mass!!! My mother is now getting into Buddism because she said the sight of a priest makes her gag, as she said "that profession attracts more kiddy fiddlers than any other". I consider myself lucky to have a mother that is smart enough not to cover her ears and sing "la la la I can't hear you" about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Seloth wrote: »
    In all fairness its not a simple es or no,as many will say no yet still go on christmas in such.

While many dont go to church it does not mean they are not religiouse.Ireland has changed to a counrtry where religion is becoming a more personal thing.Being a more modern interepratation of religion,similar to what its going on throughout most of Europe.

While agnostic it would sadden too see the church die in this country as despite the damages done by a small % of those in the organisation((as with most))it should not outshine the good it has done,and continues to do so to this day.

Well, in my case, it is. It's a clear "no".
    Circumstances would have to be exceptional indeed for me to set foot in a church again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

curlzy wrote: »
    ...as she said "that profession attracts more kiddy fiddlers than any other".....

Pity she's wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

The last time I was at a mass was for my cousins wedding a year ago. Time before that was Christmas.

The only time I set foot inside a Church is for an event (Wedding, Christening etc) or if we go at mass at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

prinz wrote: »
    Pity she's wrong.

Is she though?

I'm not saying the church is the one organisation with the most child molesters. Most organisations that put people in a position a trust with children attract child molesters. What I'd love to see is what actually is the worst organisation for, which one has harboured the most child molesters and can we explain why? I'm sure you would too. If we understand which and why, we should become even better at learning how to filter for these bastards/bitches.

Malty_T wrote: »
    I'm not saying the church is the one organisation with the most child molesters. Most organisations that put people in a position a trust with children attract child molesters. What I'd love to see is what actually is the worst organisation for, which one has harboured the most child molesters and can we explain why? I'm sure you would too. If we understand which and why, we should become even better at learning how to filter for these bastards/bitches.

I would. However there have been studies in the US which has found no noticeable difference in numbers of abusers between the Christian denominations and Judaism. The core issue is that the Catholic Church has been the only religious denomination so far IIRC to collate numbers and records and release the findings on a large scale.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/04/07/mean-men.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8654789.stm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-06-07-
    column07_ST_N.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/29/boy-scouts-sexual-abuse-dykes

To say a Catholic priest is any more likely to abuse a child than anyone else is false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Went for a week but didn't like it.Might give it another go before christmas

Malty_T wrote: »
    If we understand which and why, we should become even better at learning how to filter for these bastards/bitches.

+11111111111111111111 A proper investigation into the types of abuse also needs to be conducted. For example, of all the abuse allegations against the RCC only a small fraction actually relate to paedophilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

I drum in mass so I don't have to sit there bored to tears ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I don't do mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

I am not trying to be smart here, but I can't for the life of me understand how people can give out about how boring mass is, how bad all the priests are and how the catholic church is so corrupt and yet so many people still get married in churches and have their children christened in them. Am I missing something but if you abhore priests and the church so much why do so many people still choose to spend one of the most important days of their lives in a church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

prinz wrote: »
    I would. However there have been studies in the US which has found no noticeable difference in numbers of abusers between the Christian denominations and Judaism. The core issue is that the Catholic Church has been the only religious denomination so far IIRC to collate numbers and records and release the findings on a large scale.

And the only organisation to facilitate and cover-up the abuse as a matter of specific organisational policy issued from the very top down to grassroots level, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I drum in mass so I don't have to sit there bored to tears ;)

Why do you go at all if you're bored to tears?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Me & my siblings were made go as kids my Grandad & my parents were very religious So if we didnt go i wouldn't hear the end of it for a month & i served mass back in the early 90's
    I grew up in a rural part of Ireland so the Parish Priest would know who didnt turn up to mass & would call around to their houses to Lecture them & damn them to hell & also give them The Sacrament of the Eucharist... He was a nut job everyone was terrified of him . . .

If the poll was still open Id be saying No.
    But anyone who does go to church weekly i wouldn't knock them or mock them different strokes for different folks as they say.

Im highly thinking of converting to Buddism now, The religion appeals to me.

Advertisement