Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Longphort Excavated in Co. Louth

Options
  • 16-09-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Excavations at the long suspected longphort at Annagassan have produced firm evidence for its identification. More here.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

More here

RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

There was also a large pitched battle there between the 'fair haired' Vikings and 'dark haired' Vikings in 851AD.

This bit from the rte website caught my eye. Would I be right in saying the two different Viking groups were Danish and Nowegian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

fontanalis wrote: »
    There was also a large pitched battle there between the 'fair haired' Vikings and 'dark haired' Vikings in 851AD.

This bit from the rte website caught my eye. Would I be right in saying the two different Viking groups were Danish and Nowegian?

Apparently so. It is strange that they saw that a site was discovered because we've always known the site was there. Its recorded that the Vikings had spent time in Annagasan before building their fort in Dublin.
    It's great this is being excavated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Doozie wrote: »
    Apparently so. It is strange that they saw that a site was discovered because we've always known the site was there. Its recorded that the Vikings had spent time in Annagasan before building their fort in Dublin.
    It's great this is being excavated though.

Interesting, I wonder what made them consider Dublin over Annagasan. Is it as straight forwards as saying the Danes more or less raided the East Coast and the Norwegians stuck to the Atlantic coasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Wow, that's fantastic. I don't suppose the general public would be permitted to go down for a look at the excavation site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

As I understand it they only actually excavated 3 test trenches and it is likely that there is little to see. Also the reports don't say when the work was done but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little while back and the trenches are now closed up...you could always go and have a look though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wow, that's fantastic. I don't suppose the general public would be permitted to go down for a look at the excavation site?

Get in quickly, before some council offices are built on it!

Advertisement