Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Moyarney wrote: »
    I can't post photos but I'll try take some tomorrow anyway.

You can upload them on another website and link them on here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mucky day and I only had the phone with me.

Looking down the river towards Carrigcloney.
    EL47MYS.jpg

On the Kilkenny side the bridge will be coming off the top of the Rock I think?
    This is where the old quarry used to be.
    jcP6w1w.jpg

Slightly bigger hole in the road now.
    AZ1hnAx.jpg

Where it will be landing in Stokestown
    heMbX7V.jpg

They make it fairly clear on the Glenmore side of the Rock that you're not welcome onsite.
    nzV20Dt.jpg

I've heard rumours that they'll have to demolish the County Road bridge in order to get machinery onsite.
    Has anyone else heard that?
    pcqKcpa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

14702331_1282693298420135_7208448842262017958_n.jpg?oh=c9535e61df2f5c634b7e43404c34fe23&oe=58A4907B

Pink Rock ( plucked from FB )

DSC02032_zpstsvn2pnj.jpg

DSC02034_zpswmvuwtvn.jpg

The Pink Rock again and across the river from Pink Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Bards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Foundations going down for the bridge, someone local may be able to explain the location more?

Barrow-Crossing-08.11.2016-768x612.png

Source: http://www.n25newross.ie/project-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

That would be Stokestown, on the New Ross side. The other side of the Barrow here is the Pink Rock at Glenmore, Co. Kilkenny. It's the same location as per the photos above.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

marno21 wrote: »
    Foundations going down for the bridge, someone local may be able to explain the location more?

Barrow-Crossing-08.11.2016-768x612.png

Source: http://www.n25newross.ie/project-updates/
    When was this photo taken? I thought they would be more advanced by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From Damien Tiernan twit feed

CzLhdqCWIAQEljx.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

Opposite Pink Rock :

DSC02445_zps7suebxqq.jpg

DSC02447_zpscnut5joy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

A lot of references to Ballyverneen - where exactly is that?

DSC02486_zpsmfsbin5i.jpg

DSC02485_zpstan2atlq.jpg

Bridge construction at Camblin Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

1966 wrote: »
    A lot of references to Ballyverneen - where exactly is that?

That's on the Kilkenny side of the Barrow, just behind what you see in the photos above (behind what is known as the Pink Rock). There is the river, a couple of fields, the railway and then you arrive at the N25 Waterford New Ross road at Glenmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I understand there will be no pedestrian or cycle access to the new bridge over the river Barrow. I think that's a pity and missed opportunity. By all accounts, the new bridge will be a landmark, the longest in Ireland and the longest of it's type (Extrados) in the world.

Having pedestrian and cycle access could pave the way for a "greenway" type route or river bank route around New Ross and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

coastwatch wrote: »
    I understand there will be no pedestrian or cycle access to the new bridge over the river Barrow. I think that's a pity and missed opportunity. By all accounts, the new bridge will be a landmark, the longest in Ireland and the longest of it's type (Extrados) in the world.

Having pedestrian and cycle access could pave the way for a "greenway" type route or river bank route around New Ross and beyond.

Its a HQDC ie same as Motorway spec of course there will be no such access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Will it seriously be the longest bridge In Ireland ?
    What's the current longest, M1 Boyne?
    Or n25 Waterford Suir?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

D Trent wrote: »
    Will it seriously be the longest bridge In Ireland ?
    What's the current longest, M1 Boyne?
    Or n25 Waterford Suir?

According to post 2 in this thread, N25 Waterford is currently the longest.

When the N25 Waterford-Glenmore DC is done the whole lot might have motorway restrictions so there won't be any cyclist provisions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Even if the new bridge didn't have walking and cycling restrictions, it wouldn't be normal to allow them on such a long tall structure anyway.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

spacetweek wrote: »
    Even if the new bridge didn't have walking and cycling restrictions, it wouldn't be normal to allow them on such a long tall structure anyway.

In a different league ofcourse, but the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is on US Highway 101 (equivalent to our HQDC). It's longer at 2.7km, higher, at 227m and far busier with 100,000 vehicles per day, than this new bridge will ever be, however the planners had the vision to include wide pedestrian/ cycles lanes on both sides, for recreational purposes. It's so popular now, that the west path is dedicated cycleway and the east path is for pedestrian only. These paths are separated from motor traffic by curbing / railings and connect directly by ramps with a bike paths leading to /from San Francisco.

So if it could be done on that scale in 1933 in the US, I cant see any real technical (or cost) reason why it couldn't be done here. I think the real reason is down to lack of vision and imagination on the part of our planners.

In a different league ofcourse, but the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is on US Highway 101 (equivalent to our HQDC). It's longer at 2.7km, higher, at 227m and far busier with 100,000 vehicles per day, than this new bridge will ever be, however the planners had the vision to include wide pedestrian/ cycles lanes on both sides, for recreational purposes. It's so popular now, that the west path is dedicated cycleway and the east path is for pedestrian only. These paths are separated from motor traffic by curbing / railings and connect directly by ramps with a bike paths leading to /from San Francisco.

So if it could be done on that scale in 1933 in the US, I cant see any real technical (or cost) reason why it couldn't be done here. I think the real reason is down to lack of vision and imagination on the part of our planners.
    There are no bridges near the Golden Gate bridge for cyclists/pedestrians to use. Cyclists and pedestrians can still use the existing N25 through New Ross, as the new bridge and approach roads are parallel to whats there already. .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spacetweek wrote: »
    In the UK, the Forth Road Bridge has a cycle path as does one of the Severn Bridges (M48), and the Humber Bridge.

There are no bridges near the Golden Gate bridge for cyclists/pedestrians to use. Cyclists and pedestrians can still use the existing N25 through New Ross, as the new bridge and approach roads are parallel to whats there already. .

The point is, this new bridge could be the attraction / highlight of a local walkway / cycleway.

Alun wrote: »
    In the UK, the Forth Road Bridge has a cycle path as does one of the Severn Bridges (M48), and the Humber Bridge.
    There are no alternative crossings within miles of those three bridges. There is still a bridge in New Ross when this is built.

There are no pedestrian or cyclist facilities on the Westlink bridge either and that's in the heart of Dublin's western suburbs. This is in rural Co. Wexford/Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are no alternative crossings within miles of those three bridges.
    True, but that wasn't the point I was making, I was just counteracting the idea that such things weren't usual on such "long tall" structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

When the N25 Waterford-Glenmore DC is done the whole lot might have motorway restrictions so there won't be any cyclist provisions

That won't happen for a very long time/if ever. It's a reasonably good stretch of road, lot of the N25 was upgraded a lot with EU funding in the late 80s/early 90s. Many many road projects need doing before Glenmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Loads of HQDC allow cycling access, the M1 @120kmh limit, the N25 from Carrigtwohill to Cork and the road from Ovens to Cork off the top of my head.

What's the detour length from the end of the N25 where you can cycle, to the start of where you can cycle again?
    The Pont St Nazaire used to be motorway, but you can cycle over it now. It's 3.35km and 68m high, as another example

Loads of HQDC allow cycling access, the M1 @120kmh limit, the N25 from Carrigtwohill to Cork and the road from Ovens to Cork off the top of my head.

What's the detour length from the end of the N25 where you can cycle, to the start of where you can cycle again?
    The Pont St Nazaire used to be motorway, but you can cycle over it now. It's 3.35km and 68m high, as another example
    N1 doesn't have motorway restrictions applied because part of the old route was subsumed into the new route and thus there is no alternative between J19 and J20. There would also be issues with a border crossing under motorway restrictions as the A1 north of the border is not a motorway.

The N25 is also HQDC because it's short and doesn't have an alternative route between J1A and the Dunkettle interchange. It could change in future when the Midleton BP is upgraded to HQDC and the HQDC is continued onto Youghal.

These two roads being HQDC has nothing whatsoever to do with cyclists. The N25 New Ross BP can be redesignated motorway as far as the R733 junction in future, but at present the former NRA were against applying motorway restrictions to isolated sections of DC. Hence there being no M22/M25 in Cork, or M4 on approach to Sligo, or perhaps the M25 Waterford BP. When the Waterford-Glenmore DC is built they may decide to apply motorway restrictions to it as there will be unbroken DC from Kilmeaden to New Ross.

• Advertisement

Seeing as there are disconnected discussions taking place on the N2, N4 and N25 threads, here's a thread to discuss cyclist provisions on new national road schemes.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057694424/

Advertisement