Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1995 is when Waterford-New Ross closed (well, last had service - think its still nominally open), 63 is correct for New Ross - Macmine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was down here recently and had a look at the new bridge, absolutely massive structure. Will be a good few people going to New Ross to cross the new bridge no doubt!

It's some achievement when you compare it to the absolute horses bollix of a "bypass" built back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'll be one of them driving down for a nosey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Pier 4 is taking shape 24/03/18
    IMAG12046_zpsuvenn486.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

40249371705_7beef3af79_b.jpg

40249372095_5a35fbee89_b.jpg

40249372605_12e41a0e39_b.jpg

26272827767_33b4e0d91a_b.jpg

40249373435_43ce3753d5_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Beautiful pictures. Keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

re; the tunnel.

it was a rite of passage for us Rossonians to "walk the tunnel".

I did it mid '70s. A constant curve so that the mid-section was completely dark. An oppressive and suffocating darkness I'd call it.

We traversed using Zip fire-lighters on the end of bamboo sticks!

We could have been cave-men 10,000 years ago.

I still remember the old road Bridge in town, wooden in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

Quick question, is the new section of N25 motorway standard or 2+2? Also will the new N30 be 2+2 or WS2? I remember the N30 being really good quality in parts when I lived in wexford 10 years ago. However, a lot of it was also borreen standard. The good bit of N30 always felt like this random good road in the middle of nowhere.

When I heard about this new road I thought it was a bit overkill, especially considering the state of other N roads in the country. The N25 east of dungarvan is / was a really great road (and really fun to drive!). I drove Waterford - wexford every weekday morning and evening for 3 years during the boom 2006-2009 (I live in England now and everywhere is a continuous traffic jam!).
    The longest I ever spend it new Ross was about 10mins on a bad day, 2 mins on an average day. A new bridge at the south end of town would have done the trick. Maybe it's part of some sort of regional develop plan so the area can cater as sleeper towns for Dublin (you know commute from a nice town / city instead of a massive estate in kildare). Or maybe it's just legacy from corrupt / loud politicians from the area making noise at at right time.

Edit: don't get me wrong I'm all for the new road, I just think its a bit bizzar that this came first over others.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

350125GO! wrote: »
    Quick question, is the new section of N25 motorway standard or 2+2? Also will the new N30 be 2+2 or WS2? I remember the N30 being really good quality in parts when I lived in wexford 10 years ago. However, a lot of it was also borreen standard. The good bit of N30 always felt like this random good road in the middle of nowhere.

When I heard about this new road I thought it was a bit overkill, especially considering the state of other N roads in the country. The N25 east of dungarvan is / was a really great road (and really fun to drive!). I drove Waterford - wexford every weekday morning and evening for 3 years during the boom 2006-2009 (I live in England now and everywhere is a continuous traffic jam!).
    The longest I ever spend it new Ross was about 10mins on a bad day, 2 mins on an average day. A new bridge at the south end of town would have done the trick. Maybe it's part of some sort of regional develop plan so the area can cater as sleeper towns for Dublin (you know commute from a nice town / city instead of a massive estate in kildare). Or maybe it's just legacy from corrupt / loud politicians from the area making noise at at right time.

Edit: don't get me wrong I'm all for the new road, I just think its a bit bizzar that this came first over others.
    The new N25 will be motorway standard from the Glenmore roundabout as far as the R733 junction. East of there will be 2+2 and the N30 section will be 2+2 (strange as the Enniscorthy section of N30 will be Type 1 single).

The remaining section of N30 between Moneytucker and New Ross was suspended back in 2010 or so and hasn't been reactivated sine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A new bridge at the South end of Town is been constructed at the moment.

• Advertisement

A new bridge at the South end of Town is been constructed at the moment.

Are referring to the new N25 bypass bridge or is there a second road bridge being built?

Are referring to the new N25 bypass bridge or is there a second road bridge being built?
    N25 bridge.

The New Ross bypass scheme will transform the N25 along that stretch. The time saving along the route from having a direct dual carriageway will be immense.

If only we could engage in a similar level of roadbuilding countrywide.

marno21 wrote: »
    N25 bridge.

The New Ross bypass scheme will transform the N25 along that stretch. The time saving along the route from having a direct dual carriageway will be immense.

If only we could engage in a similar level of roadbuilding countrywide.

Yeah I already know about that hence my original question.

Indeed fair play to wexford, the county has had a serious amount of infrastructure improvements in recent years. Wexford town transformed completely while I lived there.

Indeed fair play to wexford, the county has had a serious amount of infrastructure improvements in recent years. Wexford town transformed completely while I lived there.
    Oh ya but I was just saying it again cos it'll have to be seen to be believed!

Between Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses journey times in Wexford will drop a lot in the coming years. Oilgate-Rosslare could be on the cards soon also (along with Waterford-Glenmore but that won't be as exciting).

Oh ya but I was just saying it again cos it'll have to be seen to be believed!

Between Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses journey times in Wexford will drop a lot in the coming years. Oilgate-Rosslare could be on the cards soon also (along with Waterford-Glenmore but that won't be as exciting).

I look forward to having a look this summer when I'm back for a college reunion. Always loved that Waterford - Wexford drive and imagioning what it would be like when all proposed improvements were implemented. Beautiful part of the world. If only Cork country had the same level of progress for their stretch of N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The politicians of course will taken credit.

How did Wex town transform?

Bridge work to the end of march 18
    IMAG12094_zpsamjhvsgc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

On the Kilkenny side, how can there be works commenced at a level beneath works that have already been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

(along with Waterford-Glenmore but that won't be as exciting).

Is there an official plan for this? A better idea would be to continue motorway due west from the end of the New Ross bypass, South of Mullinavat, to link to the N24 at Carrick-on-Suir. It would be roughly the same distance as Waterford-Glenmore and Waterford-CoS combined, little over 30km but shorter journeys for anyone not going to Waterford.

The idea being to create an actual network, tying in the M11, M9, and ultimately M8 and M7, via the N24 corridor without having to go as far south as Waterford.

I would have thought that of the people currently traveling through New Ross, a lot more of them would be headed for Waterford than Carrick On Suir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Is there an official plan for this? A better idea would be to continue motorway due west from the end of the New Ross bypass, South of Mullinavat, to link to the N24 at Carrick-on-Suir. It would be roughly the same distance as Waterford-Glenmore and Waterford-CoS combined, little over 30km but shorter journeys for anyone not going to Waterford.

The idea being to create an actual network, tying in the M11, M9, and ultimately M8 and M7, via the N24 corridor without having to go as far south as Waterford.

That sounds like a great idea and makes perfect sense. However the terrain on such a route has to be seen to be believed. It's really hilly, it's very scenic but would be a massive job. I don't see it happening unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

When is this scheme due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

- Commencement Date: 26th January 2016
    - Permit to Use (PTU): 31st January 2019
    - Completion Date: 30th April 2019

The above is taken from a powerpoint presentation that was made to the TII last September. Has some nice details and statistisc etc. Below is the link to the PDF (size 9.7mb)

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2017/5.4-Joe-Shinkwin-P-OLoughlin-N25-New-Ross-Bypass-TII-National-Roads-Conference-2017-.pdf

Regards

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

josip wrote: »
    I would have thought that of the people currently traveling through New Ross, a lot more of them would be headed for Waterford than Carrick On Suir.

Yes, and they could continue to head for Waterford via the existing M9. My suggestion was about connecting the existing motorways into a network to open up as many journeys as possible on a few high quality roads.

If it can be done, a route like I suggested eliminates the need for major upgrades to the N25 between Waterford and Youghal, instead money is pumped into a new N24 which becomes much more than just the Waterford - Limerick road. Think in terms of facilitating journeys like, say, Wexford to Thurles, or Kilkenny to Cork, by joining up the existing motorways. Waterford is still as accessible but you don't have using the Waterford bypass when they don't actually want to be near Waterford..

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    ...Think in terms of facilitating journeys like, say, Wexford to Thurles, or Kilkenny to Cork, ...

Sound like you're a hurling man Pete, and you're thinking of the Division 1A matches next year?

Pics of pier 4 form the newross website
    February 18
    IMAG12110_zpspfvgfxv4.jpg
    March 18
    IMAG12111_zpszmv6t5p6.jpg

Pier three form the n25newross website
    February 2018
    IMAG12125_zpsntepsqil.jpg

Lastest pics from the n25newross website the barrow crossing February 2018
    1IMAG12180_zps1itjzkp3.jpg2IMAG12182_zpsyux5anwz.jpg3IMAG12183_zpssxyjphfu.jpg4IMAG12184_zpsfs4xth6h.jpg5IMAG12185_zpswzacfxpr.jpgLatest pics from the n25newross website the Barrow crossing March 2018
    1IMAG12140_zpsyv4sgz8y.jpg2IMAG12141_zpssdp6ynev.jpg3IMAG12143_zpsopr3qy9l.jpg4IMAG12144_zpsf5dbibzv.jpg5IMAG12145_zps79td119f.jpg6IMAG12146_zpsglx2xepc.jpg

Structures and earthworks March 2018 for the n25newross.ie website
    1IMAG12160_zpspea4mmsb.jpg2IMAG12161_zpskfilsjfe.jpg3IMAG12162_zpsuhubpsih.jpg4IMAG12163_zpscp8ojsw3.jpg5IMAG12164_zpsujkixnzf.jpg6IMAG12165_zpsqb0oc7he.jpg7IMAG12166_zpsjoeeti6g.jpg8IMAG12167_zpsdook0ub8.jpg9IMAG12168_zpsmtzaidvl.jpg10IMAG12169_zpsxsfyhioy.jpg11IMAG12170_zpscqmfg2hu.jpg12IMAG12171_zpsesp7t1rv.jpg13IMAG12173_zps4qpxpfpf.jpg14IMAG12174_zpsy8uvasco.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Great pics M17 thanks !
    Looks like at least another years work before completion ?

Advertisement