Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jca wrote: »
    It was a joke Mr Moderator... I forgot to put a smiley face so the happy people on boards would get it.

I did not say which side of the bridge would agree to call it that either. He is only as good as the last match - just squeaked it yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

"Barrow Bridge" has a nice ring to it.

The Big Barrow Bridge - a bit of alliteration there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

loyatemu wrote: »
    "The N25 New Ross Bypass Bridge" or "The Barrow Road Bridge"

why does it need a special name?

Forth Bridge
    Severn Bridge
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Øresund Bridge

they're all just named after what they do.

The Barrow bridge, yep I'd go with that, simple and straightforward, unfortunately that's too easy for Ireland, somebody somewhere needs to get their ego inflated. It'll end up with some god awful forever mispronounced Irish version of an English name ( or one of the Kennedy's )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

How about "Tom'.

Heh heh

It would give it some personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Barrow bridge, yep I'd go with that, simple and straightforward, unfortunately that's too easy for Ireland, somebody somewhere needs to get their ego inflated. It'll end up with some god awful forever mispronounced Irish version of an English name ( or one of the Kennedy's )

You're probably right about the Kennedys; the JFK Memorial Bridge, they can inaugurate it by driving an open-top Lincoln over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would have to be the 'New Barrow Bridge', the Barrow Bridge is already taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Bridge

This could work nicely if the existing Barrow Bridge was renamed the Old Barrow Bridge.
    The New/Old Bridges would match the New/Old Ross.

josip wrote: »
    It would have to be the 'New Barrow Bridge', the Barrow Bridge is already taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Bridge

This could work nicely if the existing Barrow Bridge was renamed the Old Barrow Bridge.
    The New/Old Bridges would match the New/Old Ross.

it's a rail bridge though (probably soon-to-be greenway bridge). Nobodys going to accidentally drive over it. There's a "Forth Rail Bridge" and a "Forth Road Bridge"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow bridge 10/05/18
    IMAG12350_zpsaf5i4nka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I don't care if someone in New Ross is sick of it, we would be mad not to call it the JFK bridge. It practically goes into their back yard. It wouldn't be just to attract tourists taking selfies but it would demonstrate how far we have come from sending our poor to the USA.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cortecs wrote: »
    How about "Tom'.

Heh heh

It would give it some personality.

Barry the Big Barrow Bridge ?

• Advertisement

You're probably right about the Kennedys; the JFK Memorial Bridge, they can inaugurate it by driving an open-top Lincoln over it.

There are more Kennedy family members than JFK. I think Bobby Kennedy deserves a mention.

There are more Kennedy family members than JFK. I think Bobby Kennedy deserves a mention.

What about Ted - he's already associated with bridges.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I don't care if someone in New Ross is sick of it, we would be mad not to call it the JFK bridge. It practically goes into their back yard. It wouldn't be just to attract tourists taking selfies but it would demonstrate how far we have come from sending our poor to the USA.

We'd still be sending our poor to good ole U S of A only Trump and 9/11 called time on that one. Only we joined the EEC in the 70s the infrastructure of the country would be unchanged, like our unchanged railway system we'd be a curiosity time warp for tourists, lets not be deluding ourselves here, without EU money we'd have gone down the pan long ago.

We'd still be sending our poor to good ole U S of A only Trump and 9/11 called time on that one. Only we joined the EEC in the 70s the infrastructure of the country would be unchanged, like our unchanged railway system we'd be a curiosity time warp for tourists, lets not be deluding ourselves here, without EU money we'd have gone down the pan long ago.

so you're saying we should name it after Jean Monnet?

Where did i say that? The Barrow bridge is fine for me.

We need to stop tapping ourselves on the back for these great jobs that have been done, you'd think it was done out of taxpayers money collected from a well managed country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Yeah, but the yanks won't know that. In fact the infrastructure over there is pretty crap. After years of under investment, bridges and highways are crumbling all across the States. They should be suitably impressed and more inclined to buy Irish when Brexit bites. I have met Americans who asked me did we have ATMs!

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Yeah, but the yanks won't know that. In fact the infrastructure over there is pretty crap. After years of under investment, bridges and highways are crumbling all across the States. They should be suitably impressed and more inclined to buy Irish when Brexit bites. I have met Americans who asked me did we have ATMs!

Yea thats a good way of putting it. If they can elect that clown into office it shouldn't be that hard to fool 'em.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

We need to stop tapping ourselves on the back for these great jobs that have been done, you'd think it was done out of taxpayers money collected from a well managed country...

AFAIK this project (like most) is entirely taxpayer funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

spacetweek wrote: »
    AFAIK this project (like most) is entirely taxpayer funded.

Was this and the M11 Enniscorthy Bypass not PPP?

• Advertisement

Reuben1210 wrote: »

That's what it says on the signs. Name it after the middle P, whoever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

What about Ted - he's already associated with bridges.

Too much of a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

So, most of Europe was rebuilt under Marshall Aid while England still had a huge influence on our economy.

The EU has indeed helped transform Ireland,

and now that France will be our nearest EU neighbour after Brexit, why not

Monnet-Schuman and let the Cats have one and the YB's the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I would call it either the ''Pink Rock Bridge '' or the ''Evergreen Crossing ''

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

I would call it either the ''Pink Rock Bridge '' or the ''Evergreen Crossing ''

"The Pink Rock Viaduct"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Too soon for the Tadhg Furlong Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

the Palestine Peace Bridge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    It is, but the Gov (and therefore us) pays off the loan that the PPP is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

spacetweek wrote: »
    It is, but the Gov (and therefore us) pays off the loan that the PPP is based on.
    Which is why it should be treated as part of the National Debt and none of this pretending it’s not/“off-balance-sheet” bollix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭veryangryman

serfboard wrote: »
    Which is why it should be treated as part of the National Debt and none of this pretending it’s not/“off-balance-sheet” bollix

Not a fixed expense as we don't know what the traffic figures will be yet (my guess)

Advertisement