Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was over on Kilkenny side a few days ago.

Cannot see on your last pic, but they are starting to build the upright pillar that will support the cables, on the Wexford side.

900eC9d.jpg

SQpDUDA.jpg

Taken a few days ago, sorry about quality of phone pics..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 05/08/18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Seeing that boat at the start made me wonder something. Would there be restrictions, or even closure, on the river while they're actively building over the river?

Bridge construction to the end of July 18

IMAG14301_zpsl7xedq7e.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It seems kinda hard to see how this will be completed by early 2019? I know nothing about bridge building but it looks like there's still quite a lot of work remaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cortecs wrote: »
    It seems kinda hard to see how this will be completed by early 2019? I know nothing about bridge building but it looks like there's still quite a lot of work remaining?

I thought the same.
    Presumably the work between P3 and P5 is very modular and repeatable, and the travellers will speed things up a lot?
    Completing from TP2 to A2 looks fairly doable in 6 months

Pier four
    IMAG13405_zpszkjnoezr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Cortecs wrote: »
    It all depends what they mean by "early 2019". I guess it could be done by the next summer but spring would be challenging, a lot depends on the winter weather.
    With the bridge, once they get the pylons rising and travelers moving it should go much quicker. I guess they will need about week - 10 days per section. How many sections there are for each traveler to do?

Out for a walk this evening, exactly 4 weeks since I last posted pics #843.

We estimated almost a full (Lower) traveler width completed on Pier 3, slightly less on Pier 4.

Just measuring by eye, looks like about another 5 traveler widths should complete it, so 20 to 25 weeks more?

Not very scientific, but will be interesting to see. Hope to post another set of pics in 4 weeks.:)

r4A59ln.png

mSDA5yJ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's draining looking at this scheme for the simple reason that the design of the road is dreadful. It annoys me they put so much effort in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ.

It's a continuation of the ridiculous from the Waterford bypass which is another mess (for some reason you have to use two roundabouts to join the road from the end of the M9!)

http://www.n25newross.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/scheme-overview.jpg

I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ ... I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.
    We know that it all comes down to money in the end - it's cheaper to do it this way. However, while from a cost point of view I can forgive the roundabouts on either end, the one that's unforgiveable for me is the one in the middle - the Ballymacar Roundabout. A roundabout in the middle - WTF?

There are precedents for this around the country, of course - Dromod-Rooskey (N4) has a roundabout in the middle, and the Tralee bypass (N69) has roundabouts all over the shop, but there are also plenty examples of where it was done right too: the Tuam bypass (N17) - roundabouts at either end, but at least a compact GSJ in the middle, and Claremorris (N17) which is a single-lane bypass featuring a compact GSJ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If a dual carriageway exists both sides of a junction, it should be grade separated. Why put in a roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

If a dual carriageway exists both sides of a junction, it should be grade separated. Why put in a roundabout?
    Tis chaper, boss. And thats' the point of:
    It annoys me they put so much effort money in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It's draining looking at this scheme for the simple reason that the design of the road is dreadful. It annoys me they put so much effort in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ.

It's a continuation of the ridiculous from the Waterford bypass which is another mess (for some reason you have to use two roundabouts to join the road from the end of the M9!)

http://www.n25newross.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/scheme-overview.jpg

I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.
    Roundabout at the end of HQDC is a good safety feature. It requires drivers to slow down and and not to carry "motorway like" speed into roads which are not suitable for that.
    What is stupid are roundabouts in the middle of dual carriageways like the one at the end of M17 before Tuam bypass starts. This junction should be grade separated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It seems to me that the primary reason for the N25 roundabouts is that the N25 turns 90 degrees at both. The Waterford side roundabout should be grade separated as part of Waterford-Glenmore.

It's the N30 roundabout I have an issue with as it makes no sense given the road is going to be realigned there

Same as the roundabout at the northern end of the Castleisland bypass. Needless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

marno21 wrote: »
    It seems to me that the primary reason for the N25 roundabouts is that the N25 turns 90 degrees at both. The Waterford side roundabout should be grade separated as part of Waterford-Glenmore.

It's the N30 roundabout I have an issue with as it makes no sense given the road is going to be realigned there

Same as the roundabout at the northern end of the Castleisland bypass. Needless

The N25 Glenmore roundabout and the one at New Ross both have direct slips for westbound traffic. The N25 cross section changes from dual to single at these too.

The N30 also changes from dual to single carriageway at that roundabout so makes sense to have it rather than dropping a lane which causes it's own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

44114588842_4e2097489d_b.jpg

Seen this photo on FB - Its Ballymacar

The new Ross bypass 20/08/18

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

m17 wrote: »
    The new Ross bypass 20/08/18

Is than video by our own Ian C ie Ian Carruthers from the weather forum I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It's a local photographer

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Took these up near Kennedy Homestead, shot on the phone so apologies on quality.

https://imgur.com/a/Dowu7bU

Seems to be the best place for getting a clear view of the bridge construction without a drone.

Also the traffic flow management at the Glenmore roundabout is being changed this Saturday.

Dowu7bU

skodacb wrote: »
    Took these up near Kennedy Homestead, shot on the phone so apologies on quality.

https://imgur.com/a/Dowu7bU

Seems to be the best place for getting a clear view of the bridge construction without a drone.

Also the traffic flow management at the Glenmore roundabout is being changed this Saturday.

Dowu7bU

There's no need to apologise any pics are better than nothing

The barrow crossing 03/09/18

The barrow crossing 03/09/18 pics by bam ireland
    IMAG14600_zpskvjt9xlv.jpg

IMAG14601_zpsbcfh1pds.jpg

Another excellent drone video...
    Filmed 09/09/18

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Hmm. "Ahead of schedule" and "completed by June 2019" are two contradicting phrases for this project.
    I thought it was due to open early Spring 2019.

The barrow crossing 11/09/18
    IMAG14606_zpseesstpuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

VR6 wrote: »
    Hmm. "Ahead of schedule" and "completed by June 2019" are two contradicting phrases for this project.
    I thought it was due to open early Spring 2019.

NO Way will that bridge be finished by spring 2019, heading into windy/wet season will slow things down I’d imagine.

Surprised at the pace of it tbh, such a great 6 months of weather and no major movement. I know it’s a big bridge and a lot of work has been done either side but just can’t see it completed by spring 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Agree completely. My comment was prompted by the article in the Munster Express highlighted by M17 in a post that appeared briefly yesterday and then disappeared (??)
    "Work on the €230 million N25 New Ross Bypass is ahead of schedule, with the new road and bridge due to be fully open by June of next year."

Advertisement