Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 17/04/19 (pic N25 on twitter )
    POxSDj2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

What happens if they miss? :D
    Had you waited 5 days, you could have a great April fool's prank

The barrow crossing 27/02/17
    vJLEcpf.jpg
    27/02/19
    i8813CH.jpg

The barrow crossing 17/04/19 (pics fb page )
    tHoh6v3.jpg

UaSvgV6.jpg

sZSZEJ3.jpg

Zmt5K2X.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What size is the gap now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 17/04/19 (pics fb page )

Great pictures, thanks! Always good to see the flag being flown. Those gaps are getting narrow now - must be only a few weeks left until they close?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Great pictures, thanks! Always good to see the flag being flown. Those gaps are getting narrow now - must be only a few weeks left until they close?

It's still a bit further than it looks in pics.

My guess is 3 or 4 months till they meet..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Great progress been made and the workers are 100 percent committed and top class.
    The chief engineer Sean Dobbs was on Kilkenny radio just few days ago confirming the bypass will open this year.
    The surrounding infrastructure must be almost complete too.
    My guess is February 2020, but sure who am I , only a pessimist out and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd guess that the gap above the river will be closed by the end of June and the gap on the Wexford side by the end of July

CeWNkQS.jpg

State of play at 16:30 today

2gxEuiA.jpg

RxbsjP4.jpg

zp8RNPD.jpg

vIzgcPF.jpg

There were at least 8 workers still working on this extension at that time

KYOAHUj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Brilliant pics - and great to see lots of progress. Hope the weather will allow them to continue the great work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

33785475888_3832b383eb_b.jpg

Was out there today. The progress is impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Is it BAM or the Government who has to take the financial hit of an over run?

Pier 4 10/04/19 (pic deskgram)
    3q5o8dk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

m17 wrote: »
    Pier 4 10/04/19 (pic deskgram)
    3q5o8dk.jpg

Is that one of the Carlingford ferries (obviously a bit off course 😠)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

A friend took these today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They seem to be really making hay at the minute. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Can't wait to see it open in full as much of the rest is done. I did get a chance to stop at one of the new overpasses at Ballylane today and what really stood out to me was the complete lack of a proper hard shoulder and the central crash barrier.

There's no hard shoulder to speak of, there's the yellow markings and probably a 18-20 inch gap which leads right into the wide U shape concrete drainage channels. It's not the best situation if a car or truck breaks down.

The other is the central barrier, which looks about 2ft tall with a rectangular steel box atop the posts. Whatever about it deflecting a car I couldn't imagine such a thing stopping a 44 ton truck compared to the concrete barriers on the motorway network and the Waterford Bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats a 2+2 for you, sadly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The traffic volumes on the N25 east of New Ross are sufficient for 2+2. With a 100km/h limit and the relatively low traffic volumes, the right hand lane should be sufficient to take the traffic in the event of a breakdown with the visibility available.

There are refuges every 2km or so being put on some 2+2 schemes, not sure if they are on the New Ross one

The barrow crossing 22/04/19 (pics fb page)
    40FFPx0.jpg

u6L99jo.jpg

e8OPS4C.jpg

vN9ZYwT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

I wonder will the secondary piers underneath the main pylons be demolished once the deck is complete? Surely they are only present to stabilize the bridge during construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

alanucc wrote: »
    I wonder will the secondary piers underneath the main pylons be demolished once the deck is complete? Surely they are only present to stabilize the bridge during construction?

This shows that there look to be 3 temporary pillars, one on the outside of each of the secondary spans, and the one adjacent to the main span.

EDIT: To Clarify, I am assuming TP1 and TP2 stands for "Temporary Pillar1/2" and The Push/Pull pillar I am fairly sure is temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

57589777_1802396619861197_7095202629151621120_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=814a2cd6be5f787b8f2e58e6591cbcdb&oe=5D3EA5F9
    Damn gravity... you scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think they have a couple of guys whose job it is to constantly patrol the river underneath in a boat in case any worker falls in ?
    Perhaps someone more familiar with the works can confirm/deny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah and they'll have to be taken down once the bridge is finished.

I'd expect several months of the bridge being "done" and people foaming at the mouth wondering when it'll open!

The barrow crossing 23/04/19(pic N25 twitter )
    nX2OLBN.jpg

Bridge deck drawing
    BU9aCkb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Side view today 27/4/19
    The gaps are getting small, 10cables now on centre pylon.

qeARc04.png

eagerv wrote: »
    Side view today 27/4/19
    The gaps are getting small, 10cables now on centre pylon.

qeARc04.png

They have eight more cables to install brilliant pic btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Do the cables go from deck to deck through the pillar, or deck to pillar with an end anchored in the pillar? I'm guessing the former, but I don't know.

Advertisement