Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JohnC. wrote: »
    Do the cables go from deck to deck through the pillar, or deck to pillar with an end anchored in the pillar? I'm guessing the former, but I don't know.

I know little about bridge design, but Wikipedia is your friend. Extradosed bridge design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 24/04/19 (pic instragram )
    0w0bD5S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

JohnC. wrote: »
    Do the cables go from deck to deck through the pillar, or deck to pillar with an end anchored in the pillar? I'm guessing the former, but I don't know.

deck to deck through a series of cable box "saddles" in the pillar

from the wiki link
    "As a result of these characteristics, the "stay cables" on extradosed bridges are not treated as such by the design codes, but are instead considered as external post-tensioning tendons that have been deviated upwards from the deck to the towers to increase the superstructure's load capacity over the main supports.[2]:1 Extradosed bridges frequently extend this approach by making the extradosed tendons continuous over the towers via saddle supports and using anchorages only at the deck connections, significantly simplifying the tensioning operations.[4]:33,61"

The barrow crossing 30/04/19 (pic fb page)
    Z4TiumA.jpg

velhTk3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

m17 wrote: »
    Bridge deck drawing
    BU9aCkb.jpg

Unusual to see a drawing in cm?

M or mm are generally used, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

BAM probably charge a few million extra to display in mm or m.

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 06/04/19 (pic insta_matic instragram)
    28/04/19

It looks like the one on the 28th was taken from higher up, making the gap look much narrower than 3 weeks earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

josip wrote: »
    It looks like the one on the 28th was taken from higher up, making the gap look much a tad narrower than 3 weeks earlier?

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

tonc76 wrote: »
    Unusual to see a drawing in cm?

M or mm are generally used, no?

I know someone who works with BAM there. It's the Spanish company, Dragados, who use cm and metres. BAM use mm and metres. The same occurred when building the bridge on the Waterford bypass.

Of course cm is the agreed standard and it's no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Each side of the bridge only 4.25m wide or am I reading that diagram wrong?- Surely not one lane each way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Each side of the bridge only 4.25m wide or am I reading that diagram wrong?- Surely not one lane each way?

I assume the 210 on each side is part of the road too, assuming it's like the one on the Waterford bypass with no pedestrian/cycle access.

sdanseo wrote: »

The bridge is 6.35m wide on each side it's going to be a dual carriageway with hard shoulder can't wait to drive on it next November

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

November? Great! I've been going between Wexford and Waterford through that hell hole New Ross for nearly 20 years so cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Azatadine wrote: »
    November? Great! I've been going between Wexford and Waterford through that hell hole New Ross for nearly 20 years so cant wait.

I drive it a few times a week and sometimes i find it the longest hour of my life. I reckon the new bridge will take 20 mins off the journey. The amount of slow moving vehicle's drives me mad.

I drive it a few times a week and sometimes i find it the longest hour of my life. I reckon the new bridge will take 20 mins off the journey. The amount of slow moving vehicle's drives me mad.

If ye think it's bad driving through it, try living there... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

alta stare wrote: »

Yeah. It will definitely have a significant impact on travel time.....and stress. Nothing worse than sitting in those damn queues.

It'll probably have a knock on effect to the Barntown roundabout In Wexford though and that's atrocious in the evenings as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Two people in the last few days have said to me there is an issue with both ends aligning and that some Spanish contractors who were on site have been sent home while this is looked at. No idea if true or not and could be idle talk. Is work ongoing at present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

thomasm wrote: »
    Two people in the last few days have said to me there is an issue with both ends aligning and that some Spanish contractors who were on site have been sent home while this is looked at. No idea if true or not and could be idle talk.
    Ah yes, the hardy perennial that is the "bridge not meeting in the middle".

Has probably been said about every bridge ever, and has defintely been said about every bridge discussed on boards.

Don't worry - someone's pulling your leg there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is it true they now working 24/7 to completion ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we cut the jokes now.

Yeah. It will definitely have a significant impact on travel time.....and stress. Nothing worse than sitting in those damn queues.

It'll probably have a knock on effect to the Barntown roundabout In Wexford though and that's atrocious in the evenings as it is.

The traffic in ferrybank (Waterford) in the mornings is horrible. After an hour drive hitting that traffic is a nightmare.

alta stare wrote: »
    <snip> Backseat modding is not acceptable.

Mod: If you want to make jokes, there is a thread for it. Of course it was deleted because it followed a mod instruction to leave the jokes out.

The occasional joke is OK, particularly if it apposite, and funny. However, the umpteenth variation of that same joke becomes tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Just to let folks know that the current Google satellite imagery is very recent. Possibly 6 weeks or so. I know a field in it that's close to my house that was only recently ploughed for the first time in decades.
    Sat images are very clear!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

gman2k wrote: »
    Just to let folks know that the current Google satellite imagery is very recent. Possibly 6 weeks or so. I know a field in it that's close to my house that was only recently ploughed for the first time in decades.

Interesting. There's only about 3/4km of the entire scheme left to do, the bridge and it's approaches. The rest seems effectively complete

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

https://imgur.com/a/buiTXHA

As of today at the pink rock site. Looks like they're working through the bank holiday weekend.

Looking at that image on googlemaps, the gaps are only 100 metres. So they are much closer now. Very interesting.

Will they have the equivalent of a topping out ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks for that.

According to Google Earth the latest satellite imagery is 2/2/19, which looks about the same as I remember the bridge back then.

It has come on a long way in 3 months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

skodacb wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/buiTXHA

As of today at the pink rock site. Looks like they're working through the bank holiday weekend.

As it should be for major infrastructure to be honest. Even if the labour cost is 30% or 40% higher, I feel that cost in the short term is worth the boost to the economy from having schemes, not just this one, in play sooner.

Advertisement