Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When did the new roundabout at the Enniscorthy side of the bypass open? Passed through it today. Part of the existing road is now completely redundant except for access to a couple of houses and fields with one end blocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

When did the new roundabout at the Enniscorthy side of the bypass open? Passed through it today. Part of the existing road is now completely redundant except for access to a couple of houses and fields with one end blocked off.

It's open a while now, about 4 or 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just after Christmas, frustrating to see that lovely dual carriageway going over the horizon isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing last Thursday night (pic fb)
    yMvXG5r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Some photos I took within the last hour on the Kilkenny side.

https://imgur.com/a/pMIfTIo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Was down there today and took some poor-ish pics that I won't bother posting.

It's a fabulous project! It really is impressive in the flesh - it's a BIG bridge, and it's LONG! It's also quite stylish - when the cable stays are completed it will look very well.

Lots of 'tourists' there this afternoon - nice to see such interest, and can't wait til November!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

A few not great phone pics taken today from the top of Slieve Coillte:

2CDDg8w.jpg

qIwRUqm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

skodacb wrote: »
    Some photos I took within the last hour on the Kilkenny side.

https://imgur.com/a/pMIfTIo

Great shot showing the lovely elegant sweep towards the far bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

eagerv wrote: »
    A few not great phone pics taken today from the top of Slieve Coillte:

2CDDg8w.jpg

qIwRUqm.jpg

The second one is fantastic it really captures it's enormity.

The barrow crossing (pic drone ireland
    dtAe0fp.jpg

The rfk bridge construction began 2016
    Budget 250 million
    30,000 cubic metres of concrete
    7,000 tons of steel
    2 million man hours clocked up
    opening November 19
    Length of bridge 887 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Quare close now though lads!! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's probably the most over-enginerred infrastructure ever built in Ireland but no one who uses it will complain!

It's probably the most over-enginerred infrastructure ever built in Ireland but no one who uses it will complain!

Can't wait to drive over the world biggest span 230 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Ah sure, it'll still be around in 150 years, and still a stop for college civil engineering field trips too :)

Out of curiosity, how is it over-engineered?

Okay over-designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I think it's a fantastic looking bridge. No doubt it'll be a bit of an attraction too. After driving up and down that road for the last 20 years it's not a bit over designed when it can remove New Ross from the equation. More power to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I think it's a progressive design, and beautiful of course, but it's forward thinking that brings about such immense projects. I'm all for it and can't wait for a spin over it, and under it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Jeremy Clarkson is to cut the ribbon, I hear.
    No wagons allowed on the bridge till he's gone.

Okay over-designed.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I follow. What should the design have been? (Genuinely curious)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm not sure I follow. What should the design have been? (Genuinely curious)

One of these would've done the trick
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_bridge

In all seriousness though, probably a cable stayed bridge much like the Waterford bypass.

I like the design of the New Ross bypass more as it fits in with the natural valley, it's not superimposing on the surrounding area as it's pretty low slung in comparison to a cable stayed bridge with a large central tower which would've jutted over 300ft in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

It's a fine looking bridge. Now,how about something similar for Dublin bay to complete the M50 ring. They could build it high enough so anything could pass under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

betistuc wrote: »
    It's a fine looking bridge. Now,how about something similar for Dublin bay to complete the M50 ring. They could build it high enough so anything could pass under it.

Probably be cheaper and easier than the proposed tunnel.

I'm not an Engineer by any means - I just have an interest in this particular bridge as I travel the route a bit....

I've lifted this directly from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradosed_bridge

The extradosal bridge form is mostly suited to medium-length spans between 100 metres (330 ft) and 250 metres (820 ft), and over fifty such bridges had been constructed around the world to 2012.[4]:16–26 Whilst incurring many of the construction costs of both the cable-stayed and girder bridge types, extradosed bridges can deliver material savings to offset much of this penalty.[1]:387–388 They have frequently been adopted when overall height, navigation clearance, or aesthetic requirements have made the cable-stayed or girder alternatives less feasible.[4]:15, 135–136

The bridge is cable stayed - Extrados is a version of the type.

The Waterford Bypass bridge is 112m tall - the RFK bridge is 36m at its tallest.

From what I can read, it was the most cost effective, least intrusive and yet visually appealing option.

How is it over-engineered or over-designed? (Again, genuinely interested.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Bards

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm not an Engineer by any means - I just have an interest in this particular bridge as I travel the route a bit....

I've lifted this directly from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradosed_bridge

The extradosal bridge form is mostly suited to medium-length spans between 100 metres (330 ft) and 250 metres (820 ft), and over fifty such bridges had been constructed around the world to 2012.[4]:16–26 Whilst incurring many of the construction costs of both the cable-stayed and girder bridge types, extradosed bridges can deliver material savings to offset much of this penalty.[1]:387–388 They have frequently been adopted when overall height, navigation clearance, or aesthetic requirements have made the cable-stayed or girder alternatives less feasible.[4]:15, 135–136

The bridge is cable stayed - Extrados is a version of the type.

The Waterford Bypass bridge is 112m tall - the RFK bridge is 36m at its tallest.

From what I can read, it was the most cost effective, least intrusive and yet visually appealing option.

How is it over-engineered or over-designed? (Again, genuinely interested.)
    Me thinks because it's not in Dubland then by this alone it must be overengjneerd and overdesigned..sure those cuclchies don't need an extravagant bridge

Don't take me too seriously or literally. I'm not complaining either God knows. I would have expected the N25 to have been fobbed off with a much less ambitious, lower structure on a much shorter bypass nearer New Ross cos that's what us yokels tend to deserve in the eyes of Dublin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bards wrote: »
    Me thinks because it's not in Dubland then by this alone it must be overengjneerd and overdesigned..sure those cuclchies don't need an extravagant bridge

It is not an extravagant bridge, it is an extradosed bridge.

See here.

[rolleyes here]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It is not an extravagant bridge, it is an extradosed bridge.

See here.

Id say he meant what he said like......extravagant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Has the bridge deck completely joined up at this stage?

Advertisement