Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vicwatson wrote: »
    How many died in construction?

Do you know the cost to build the barrow bridge?

The point is that stuff get built for a lot less in countries like China because they don't have to worry about things like workers rights or land costs or planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

The point is that stuff get built for a lot less in countries like China because they don't have to worry about things like workers rights or land costs or planning.

Or crazy wages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

This cost $140 million(about €125 million) what is the barrow bridge costing?
    stuff get built for a lot less in countries like China because they don't have to worry about things like workers rights or land costs or planning.
    Or the costs of litigation.

Or delays caused by planning objections.

So if you're happy to dispense with all of the above just to get a cheaper bridge, I'm sure you won't mind if we bulldoze your house tomorrow to build a new road. You have 12 hours to remove all your stuff. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

serfboard wrote: »
    Or the costs of litigation.

Or delays caused by planning objections.

So if you're happy to dispense with all of the above just to get a cheaper bridge, I'm sure you won't mind if we bulldoze your house tomorrow to build a new road. You have 12 hours to remove all your stuff. ;)

We also have some of the best paid lawyers,doctors, politicians, bankers, civil servants, etc etc., not to mention generous compo for anyone that cares to take a case for it, whether justified or not. But we still pay minimum wages to those who look after our elderly and our youngest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Speaking of bridges :eek:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/12/29/china-worlds-highest-bridge-beipanjiang-sfc-orig.cnn

By the way, that is a suspension bridge, so not directly comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Paddico wrote: »
    Or crazy wages

What do you consider crazy wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

By the way, that is a suspension bridge, so not directly comparable.

Experts experts everywhere :D

The point of my post wasn’t really a cost comparison post, more like “look what they’ve built, it’s awesome, and look what they’ve built for $140 million, also awesome”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

The point of my post wasn’t really a cost comparison post
    I'll just leave this here ...

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing (pic drone ireland
    dtAe0fp.jpg

The rfk bridge construction began 2016
    Budget 250 million
    30,000 cubic metres of concrete
    7,000 tons of steel
    2 million man hours clocked up
    opening November 19
    Length of bridge 887 metres

According to this post, budget was €250 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 16/06/19 (pic fb)
    OOGhDlb.jpg

4BW7rWB.jpg

Getting ready to close the gap it will be done in three weeks time then they will stress test the bridge this whole project is costing 250 million the bridge is costing 90 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

90 million? That's good value for a bridge nearly a kilometre in length.

Thanks M17

serfboard wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here ...

:rolleyes:

Full stop missing after the (about €125 million)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110466545&postcount=1479

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You also get a bunch of bridges collapsing in China. The most recent just a few days ago.

JohnC. wrote: »
    You also get a bunch of bridges collapsing in China. The most recent just a few days ago.

Can we forget about bridge's been built in China we are getting a world class bridge on our doorstep

m17 wrote: »
    Can we forget about bridge's been built in China we are getting a world class bridge on our doorstep

Agreed, it is a fine bridge that looks world class, and is the longest span of its type in the world (currently).

The barrow crossing 11/06/19 (pic n25 on twitter)
    b53rudu.jpg

GChvKPw.jpg

WxWwq04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

m17, those pictures look to be from the the 11th, not the 19th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

God how does it not fall down. You can kind of see it sloping.

The rfk bridge 20/06/19 dismanting the travellers( pic fb)
    TtO2OH7.jpg

2T5fO44.jpg

ray0c8W.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wow, I love the foggy picture!

Does that mean it is now joined?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not quite visible from space, but visible from New Ross,

h0Ql98V.png

if you're Santa Claus.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Does that mean it is now joined?

I don't think so. The last bit, when they connect the two haves is done different method

Geogregor wrote: »
    I don't think so. The last bit, when they connect the two haves is done different method

I assume they have to get the tension in the cables correct to make sure the join is correct. That will take a bit of time and a sign off by the engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I thought someone said mid-July for the actual joining?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I'm just back from my trek, there's still a gap! It is surely an impressive structure, very impressive indeed. Had a (long) look from both sides, and had a wave from the workers too :) and chatted to a few tourists like myself, and a few locals. I highly recommend a visit. Wondering now if I get a hi-viz and hard hat could i blag my way onto it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

josip wrote: »
    Not quite visible from space, but visible from New Ross,

h0Ql98V.png

if you're Santa Claus.

Cool pic.

I always like travelling the road from Redbridge toward Granagh in south Kilkenny and looking at the Waterford bypass bridge. The houses there have an amazing view of the bridge and further down both sides of the river. Looks class at night as will the New Ross bridge.

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 22/06/19

Advertisement