Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 04/07/19 (pic fb)
    H0JGNMd.jpg

One more pour and it will all be joined up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but will they paint the bare concrete or leave as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

prunudo wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned before but will they paint the bare concrete or leave as is?

they don't usually paint motorway bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 04/07/19 (pic fb)
    H0JGNMd.jpg

One more pour and it will all be joined up

Only one more pour - like a long-anticipated kiss :) I may head down again soon to see the closed/closing gap.

The barrow crossing 02/07/19 (pic instragram)
    7sbn8y0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 02/07/19 (pic instragram)
    7sbn8y0.jpg

It's interesting how out of line the two sides are. I presume there's some adjustment to be done to get them lined up a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

The two sides are offset by 1.2m, which is more than expected but nothing that can't be overcome. The weight gain from removing the traveler is expected to give a lift of 200mm.

The black braces that you see in the left of the photo will be used to slowly level out the two sides before the final pour. You can see the bolt holes for the braces also in the photo. This leveling will take up to three weeks.

The actual join will be end of July or more likely early August (which was the expected time frame).

My source will remain anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Thanks for the info.
    Out of curiosity, do you know if any cable tension adjustment also takes place in order to help with alignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I don't know for sure but I would imagine so.

Also, there is a chamber running under the full length of the bridge where the cables can be checked, adjusted, etc. It's tall enough to walk in which is very impressive given the slim profile of the bridge from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

loyatemu wrote: »
    they don't usually paint motorway bridges.

It crosses at Pink Point so lets paint the whole thing a garish shade of pink :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

NedNew2 wrote: »
    The two sides are offset by 1.2m, which is more than expected but nothing that can't be overcome. The weight gain from removing the traveler is expected to give a lift of 200mm.

The black braces that you see in the left of the photo will be used to slowly level out the two sides before the final pour. You can see the bolt holes for the braces also in the photo. This leveling will take up to three weeks.

The actual join will be end of July or more likely early August (which was the expected time frame).

My source will remain anonymous.

The Skew Bridge Mk2 might be a good name for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

I'm confident the engineers have everything in hand. That last pic. of the join with the two big black girders and massive boltholes in the bridge decks is very informative. I assume he same situation applies at the other (Wexford) end, too.

Tom K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Kirbstone wrote: »
    I'm confident the engineers have everything in hand. That last pic. of the join with the two big black girders and massive boltholes in the bridge decks is very informative. I assume he same situation applies at the other (Wexford) end, too.

Tom K.

Google Maps;

Some serious realignment needed, or maybe there's going to be a chicane in the middle.
    That or Google need to stich their maps together a bit better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Google Maps;

Some serious realignment needed, or maybe there's going to be a chicane in the middle.

Its quite obviously a google mapping issue. There are plenty of aerial pics showing that it looks nothing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

:( I was there yesterday and it looks nothing like that.

I suggest that the time spent posting that pic would have been better spent reading the thread.

M17 and several others have spent significant time posting pics of progress - much to regular reader's delight.

5 mins going back a few pages would explain a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

A chicane is a double bend connecting sections of road where there is a horizontal misalignment. That alignment seems perfect from all the photos of the bridge I've seen. The residual problem is vertical and that will be speedily dealt with, I'm sure.

Tom K.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Google Maps;

Ridiculous post making little of the thread, people have little to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I don’t think he was being serious in all fairness.

Blindsider and Cobo55, apologies if my post upset ye.
    It would be obvious to most it was a bit tongue in cheek,
    as could seen from my comment about Google map stitching.
    Also, I have been following this thread for some time as a little research would show.
    There was no intention on my part to belittle the work of M17 and others on here.
    I had been waiting for Google to update their aerial view,and just wanted to post their latest.
    Anyone interested in the new road layout can see the markings and the slip lanes at the 2 roundabouts
    I can't wait for Google street view to be updated.
    I will be traveling to the ferry in Oct/early Nov and hope it is completed by then.
    Keep up the good work ,and keep the photos coming.

Mikey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Google Maps;

Could this be a joke by Google? - it is not beyond them to do such a thing.

We know that could not be a real image because of so many photos that have been posted here over the time of the project - both from drone footage and from static cameras.

• Advertisement

Could this be a joke by Google? - it is not beyond them to do such a thing.

We know that could not be a real image because of so many photos that have been posted here over the time of the project - both from drone footage and from static cameras.
    It does look like they fiddled with the western bit of the road, but the shadow looks dodgy all right.
    Would you have any idea of what date it's from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It does look like they fiddled with the western bit of the road, but the shadow looks dodgy all right.
    Would you have any idea of what date it's from?

Kilkenny side is 2/2. Wexford side is 28/3.

I think it could be a perspective issue. The Kilkenny side is taken at an angle and the Wexford side pretty much straight down.

JohnC. wrote: »

I think it could be a perspective issue. The Kilkenny side is taken at an angle and the Wexford side pretty much straight down.
    Thanks JohnC,
    some progress in 3 or 4 months then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JohnC. wrote: »

How do you know that??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

spacetweek wrote: »
    How do you know that??

Google Earth displays image dates. And allows you to go back in time showing older images, so there's actually a few different images at different dates you can see of bridge construction..

The rfk bridge June 19 by insta_mavic

The N25 June 19

The barrow crossing 10/07/19 (pic fb)
    S1Al8qZ.jpg

v9upH2k.jpg

KRUsjL7.jpg

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing june 19 (pics n25newross website )
    GBh0Hoc.jpg

TAiBVTM.jpg

[IMG]https:/[/img]IX3bIkx.jpg

Sdn1IJV.jpg

qXm7GNH.jpg

2rCLN2b.jpg

clM2la5.jpg

FYMkN8t.jpg

Advertisement