Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Speaking of ships,
    doesn't M17's last pic there look like a 3 mast ship in full sail?
    And is that Slievenamon it's heading towards?

How dare you!
    That's Tory Hill :)

and no, not that kind of Tory, the other type.
    http://www.theirishstory.com/2019/01/18/the-strange-history-of-the-term-tory-in-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

josip wrote: »
    How dare you!
    That's Tory Hill :)
    Yeah , I thought it was a bit too close allright, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Thanks! Ive been looking at all the other road building threads recently, they are indeed exciting and I'll look out for the Listowel one. This, though, this bridge, completely captivated me. And introduced me to a part of the country I'd only passed through before. Gorgeous!

Think Marino May have been taking the p**s !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

lalababa wrote: »
    Can someone explain why the bridge is so high and long? Seems to me they could of made it 1/5th the length and much lower.

It's so the Dunbrody can get under it when the next famine comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

VR6 wrote: »
    Think Marino May have been taking the p**s !!!!

Feck! Does that mean there's no Listowel bypass!?
    Also...mortified :D

• Advertisement

Feck! Does that mean there's no Listowel bypass!?
    Also...mortified :D

They've decided to plough the money into a new integrated underground and tramway system instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

They've decided to plough the money into a new integrated underground and tramway system instead...

I thought they were going for the monorail.

I thought they were going for the monorail.

Funnily enough, and you may know this already, they did have a monorail system designed by Charles Lartigue in 1888. Strange but true !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Funnily enough, and you may know this already, they did have a monorail system designed by Charles Lartigue in 1888. Strange but true !:)

https://www.ballybunion.ie/history-and-folklore/lartigue-monorail.html

and famous for stories about having to balance the load either side of the monorail.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Ships. :P

And needs to be well above the flood plains!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not to mention the different heights, one side to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The rfk bridge 18/07/19

The barrow crossing 18/07/19 (pics fb)
    Z8b0MSH.jpg

ZvFyrSe.jpg

7E8QkDR.jpg

The barrow crossing 20/07/19 (pic fb)
    7JHPEsv.jpg

The barrow crossing 20/07/19 (pic fb)
    dEUZ3MU.jpg

lAqNbVw.jpg

lUSjG4b.jpg

Looks like the final pour? Am I looking at it right??

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

inthehat wrote: »
    Looks like the final pour? Am I looking at it right??

Sure does!
    Tarmac next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

That's fabulous to see! Has the final pour on the other section been completed too?

Hope they can continue to make progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd guess that there's still a pour needed on the Wexford gap.
    Instamavic's drone vid from the 18th didn't show a concrete pumper at that gap on the same day the gap over the river was being pumped.

• Advertisement

Went down today .... it's looking great.

There was a lot of activity with the crane removing what looked like dismantled support stuff.

I presume that service area - out on the river where the crane is standing -will be removed??

There's a massive amount of work involved just removing all the construction scaffording, platforms, etc, apart from the construction itself.

And lovely to see Wexford and Kilkenny flags fluttering in the breeze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

inthehat wrote: »
    I presume that service area - out on the river where the crane is standing -will be removed??

Yep. Three piers need to be demolished too :eek:

[see diagram a few pages back]

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Noticed passing yesterday that the central barrier was being continued on from the railway bridge towards the roundabout. Finishing work being wrapped up in that area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Fatal incident with a road worker on the Glenmore resurfacing works this afternoon. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

gman2k wrote: »
    Fatal incident with a road worker on the Glenmore resurfacing works this afternoon. RIP.

Oh Jesus that's terrible, I thought those days were gone RIP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

m17 wrote: »
    KRUsjL7.jpg
    There is only 2 piers that need removing the one next to pier 4 is the push pull there is a mistake in the diagram

No, the push pull is there in the photos. My understanding it is there to prevent resonance in the structure. It is not labelled as temporary as the other two are.

[Maybe I am wrong].

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

The tops of the three 'temp piers' are different to normal piers iirc from the videos. I know its just aesthetics, but would be dissappointed if designers now think some of them need to be permanent. Especially the one by pier 4.
    If it stays would seem to imply a miss in initial design :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The tops of the three 'temp piers' are different to normal piers iirc from the videos. I know its just aesthetics, but would be dissappointed if designers now think some of them need to be permanent. Especially the one by pier 4.
    If it stays would seem to imply a miss in initial design :(

I would be hugely surprised if all three weren't demolished. They bridge will be self supporting once the deck is complete and all the cable stays are properly tensioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

It'll be grand when all the cables are tensioned and we get to see that lovely elegant sweep.

Advertisement