Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would be hugely surprised if all three weren't demolished. They bridge will be self supporting once the deck is complete and all the cable stays are properly tensioned.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/bridge-name-confirmed-after-four-long-years-37396982.html

The picture in this press article would suggest all three pillars would be demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing Sept 2016
    cSojR95.jpg
    July 2017
    qitBtcn.jpg
    July 2018
    2XPyRmC.jpg
    July 2019
    lUSjG4b.jpg

On top of the world before the final pour 19/07/19
    oMyDEBm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I don't suppose anyone did a time lapse shoot of this build?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2017/5.4-Joe-Shinkwin-P-OLoughlin-N25-New-Ross-Bypass-TII-National-Roads-Conference-2017-.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjpzvKyhtrjAhVKRBUIHSV1A04QFjAWegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw01GhUOvTKUlCTn4NjTOEyf

Hope that link works.

A time lapse of the construction is mentioned near the end of this PowerPoint presentation that was given back in 2017. it seemed to be the responsibility of the Councils and the TII so hopefully the opportunity wasn't wasted and that a proper time lapse of the complete construction was captured.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Decoda wrote: »

According to the Irish Times article there will be a viewing point.
    Anyone any idea of location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    On top of the world before the final pour 19/07/19
    oMyDEBm.jpg
    I'm sure all those who were reporting rumours that the two sides of the bridge wouldn't meet up are disappointed to see this photo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm sure all those who were reporting rumours that the two sides of the bridge wouldn't meet up are disappointed to see this photo!

I think most of the reports had smiley faces on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That belongs in the, stories I heard thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

In other stories I have heard, someone told me when they started construction that a timelapse camera was installed downstream at Ruane.
    No idea if it was true or if it continued until the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

eagerv wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times article there will be a viewing point.
    Anyone any idea of location?

So the bridge won't be motorway then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

spacetweek wrote:

It was never meant to be. It's High Quality Dual Carrigeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

gman2k wrote: »
    It was never meant to be. It's High Quality Dual Carrigeway.
    Does that mean there’s low quality DCs around the country😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

spacetweek wrote: »

I would imagine the viewing area will be of the bridge but not from the new road, it'll likely be from the Pink Rock on the "old-old" New Ross to Waterford road where already a quasi stopping place has formed as there is a great view from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

On re-reading the article I don’t think the viewing point will actually be on the bridge.

On re-reading the article I don’t think the viewing point will actually be on the bridge.

You cannot get a good view of something from itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This from wex people local paper online -

“MEM­BERS of the Kennedy fam­ily are be­ing in­vited to at­tend the of­fi­cial open­ing of the New Ross By­pass which is due to take place in late Oc­to­ber or early Novem­ber.
    In an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view with this news­pa­per, New Ross By­pass li­ai­son of­fi­cer Sean Dobbs said the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge is start­ing to re­ally take shape, after the com­ple­tion of the fi­nal deck sec­tion of what will be Ire­land’s long­est bridge.
    Hurl­ing greats Lee Chin and Kilkenny’s TJ Reid re­cently posed for pho­to­graphs at the scene to mark the oc­ca­sion.
    The N25 New Ross by­pass bridge - com­pleted as part of a pub­lic pri­vate part­ner­ship scheme - is ex­pected to open in late au­tumn, early win­ter at a cost of around €230m. As it will be com­pleted be­hind sched­ule, con­trac­tors BAM will be li­able to pay late fees as part of the Pub­lic Pri­vate Part­ner­ship con­tract.
    Mr Dobbs said mem­bers of the Kennedy fam­ily will be in­vited to at­tend the grand open­ing of the ex­tra­dose bridge, span­ning the River Bar­row, which will be the long­est in Ire­land at al­most 900 me­tres and the long­est of its kind in the world. Its two main cen­tral spans stand 230 me­tres in height and rank as the long­est post-ten­sioned con­crete spans of their type any­where in the world.
    Mr Dobbs said: ‘If any­thing I would say it looks bet­ter than what I had en­vis­aged. I think it’s al­ready be­com­ing an iconic land­mark for both coun­ties. We are get­ting a huge amount of in­ter­est in it and a lot of peo­ple are com­ing to see it on the pub­lic roads. Ev­ery­one on the project can’t wait to get it open.’
    Cur­rently, around 150 peo­ple are work­ing day­light hours on the bridge and on fin­ish­ing land­scap­ing and other works on the roads, but mainly on com­plet­ing the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge.
    ‘The road works are sub­stan­tially com­plete. The bridge is now our num­ber one pri­or­ity. We are still an­tic­i­pat­ing an open­ing in quar­ter four; my best guess be­ing late Oc­to­ber, early Novem­ber. We had a ma­jor mile­stone when the decks, which have been get­ting closer and closer to­gether, last week met over the river.’
    He said struc­tural works to the bridge are near­ing com­ple­tion. ‘We are do­ing the fi­nal con­nec­tion next week then we have an ex­ten­sive pro­gramme of fin­ish­ing works in­clud­ing wa­ter­proof­ing, sur­fac­ing, road mark­ing, mon­i­tor­ing equip­ment and fi­nal safety in­spec­tions. These will be done in Au­gust, Septem­ber and Oc­to­ber and then we will be in a po­si­tion to open.’
    At its peak 300 peo­ple were work­ing in shifts, with works go­ing on 24 hours a day on the by­pass. Over re­cent months the num­bers have fallen as spe­cial­ist crews have com­pleted their jobs.
    Mr Dobbs said to date around 2.5m man hours of work has done into the 15km by­pass and the 887m bridge.
    Mr Dobbs said the bridge is set to be­come an iconic land­mark - and will ease con­ges­tion around one of Ire­land’s worst re­main­ing traf­fic bot­tle­necks.
    Upon com­ple­tion, the 15km long by­pass scheme will im­prove safety and jour­ney times for all road users, ease traf­fic con­ges­tion in New Ross town and en­hance the eco­nomic po­ten­tial of the en­tire south­east re­gion.
    It is ex­pected to also sig­nif­i­cantly re­duce jour­ney times be­tween Water­ford and Wex­ford, with ex­ten­sive sign­post­ing num­ber­ing into the for­ties de­signed to at­tract mo­torists into New Ross.
    Progress to date on the project has been wel­comed by the main project stake­hold­ers; Trans­port In­fra­struc­ture Ire­land, Wex­ford and Kilkenny County Coun­cils, BAM Irid­ium PPP Com­pany and their con­trac­tors BAM Dra­ga­dos (NRJV).
    A com­mu­nity fundrais­ing event is planned ahead of the open­ing of the bridge to the pub­lic. Mr Dobbs said this will most likely be a cy­cling and run­ning/walk­ing event. ‘We want to make it as ac­ces­si­ble as pos­si­ble to peo­ple be­fore it opens to traf­fic,’ he said.
    A bridge nam­ing cer­e­mony will take place on a dif­fer­ent date to the of­fi­cial open­ing, which will most likely be per­formed by Taoiseach Leo Varad­kar. Mr Dobbs said it would be great if a rep­re­sen­ta­tive or rep­re­sen­ta­tives of the Kennedy fam­ily can at­tend the bridge nam­ing cer­e­mony. ‘We would cer­tainly love it if mem­bers of the Kennedy fam­ily could be there,’ he said

• Advertisement

MEM­BERS of the Kennedy fam­ily are be­ing in­vited to at­tend the of­fi­cial open­ing of the New Ross By­pass which is due to take place in late Oc­to­ber or early Novem­ber.
    A bridge nam­ing cer­e­mony will take place on a dif­fer­ent date to the of­fi­cial open­ing, which will most likely be per­formed by Taoiseach Leo Varad­kar. Mr Dobbs said it would be great if a rep­re­sen­ta­tive or rep­re­sen­ta­tives of the Kennedy fam­ily can at­tend the bridge nam­ing cer­e­mony. ‘We would cer­tainly love it if mem­bers of the Kennedy fam­ily could be there,’ he said
    Why are they calling this bridge after Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy anyway? Aren't there enough things called after the Kennedys already? And, as her double-barrelled surname implies, Rose was actually a Fitzgerald and not a Kennedy, so is not a descendant of Wexfordians (if that is supposed to be the qualification here).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why are they calling this bridge after Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy anyway? Aren't there enough things called after the Kennedys already? And, as her double-barrelled surname implies, Rose was actually a Fitzgerald and not a Kennedy, so is not a descendant of Wexfordians (if that is supposed to be the qualification here).

County Councillors bright idea.

It'll always be the barrow bridge to me

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

vicwatson wrote: »
    County Councillors bright idea.

It'll always be the barrow bridge to me

Same for me.

It is the case with most of the bridges with long complicated names (very popular in the US where one bridge can be named after two people;)). People just use simple local names. Unless it is something really catchy like Verrazzano Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Why are they calling this bridge after Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy anyway? ................

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/bridge-name-confirmed-after-four-long-years-37396982.html

...explains the process in detail.

Director of Services with Wexford County Council Eamonn Hore said the submissions process was widely publicised and three methods of voting were provided. Mr Hore said: 'People could vote online, through email and they could send in hard copy submissions to all public buildings, including libraries. The forms were available at the Killag Show. The process was highlighted on the front page of the New Ross Standard.'

Seems to me like anyone who wanted to, had an opportunity to make a submission.

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. Here's a quote from it:
    If you ask people in two years time they won't know the name of the bridge.
    I was going to say that the Boyne Bridge on the M1 isn't called after anyone, but I went on OSM to check first, and to my surprise it's called the "Mary McAleese Boyne Valley Bridge". So it seems that Cllr O'Brien might be right.

So name away. As people have said on here, it'll probably be referred to as the Barrow Bridge anyway - and like its Meath/Louth couterpart, the Barrow Bridge has a nice alliterative ring to it.

You cannot get a good view of something from itself.
    A viewing point for the estuary. It'd be a nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Does that mean there’s low quality DCs around the country��

To more directly answer your question, yes there are, the HQDC designation identifies that these are being built to a specific, modern standard. Many old standard DCs do not meet the safety criteria of a modern DC, Prime examples are the A1 DC and A26 DC in Northern Ireland, allowing right turns, many local accesses, direct junctions (modern design calls for LiLo trumpets usually?)

Not great on southern LQDCs, Naas to Newbridge road would be one, N18 south of Shannon is 'lower' but not at the same level, has a few local accesses and funky junctions though

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Maybe they'll do Musical Rumble strips (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/take-drive-down-americas-musical-highway-180958449/ ) Now what tune should we have ?

The Rose (Kennedy) of Mooncoin????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Maybe they expect that the bridge will permit more Bruff people to holiday in Wexford?
    So quite apt.

Advertisement