Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

blindsider wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/bridge-name-confirmed-after-four-long-years-37396982.html

...explains the process in detail.

Director of Services with Wexford County Council Eamonn Hore said the submissions process was widely publicised and three methods of voting were provided. Mr Hore said: 'People could vote online, through email and they could send in hard copy submissions to all public buildings, including libraries. The forms were available at the Killag Show. The process was highlighted on the front page of the New Ross Standard.'

Seems to me like anyone who wanted to, had an opportunity to make a submission.
    They dodged a bullet in that case. Lucky it didn't end up Bridgey McBridge-face

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Does that mean there’s low quality DCs around the country��

yep, and medium quality DC also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

30 kph speed limit being proposed for bridge also......due to its height and the very regular high winds in the vicinity. A number of traffic calming measures will be included such as speed tables and chicanes as well as the regular presence of a speed van at both ends......the temptation if motorists to traverse the bridge at 110-120 kph will be more or less eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Road-Hog wrote: »
    30 kph speed limit being proposed for bridge also......due to its height and the very regular high winds in the vicinity. A number of traffic calming measures will be included such as speed tables and chicanes as well as the regular presence of a speed van at both ends......the temptation if motorists to traverse the bridge at 110-120 kph will be more or less eliminated.

I find that hard to believe but it’ll give motorists plenty of time to admire the views as they cross😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

You forgot about the roundabout and the toll booth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Road-Hog wrote:

I'll be cycling across it faster than that!

gman2k wrote: »
    I'll be cycling across it faster than that!

That raises a good question though. Will cycling be allowed? I dont think they allow it on the Waterford bypass so this could be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I can see that working well :rolleyes: Having traffic drop from 110-120 kmh to 30 and back to 110-120 is liable to cause the accordian effect
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accordion_effect
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/7544692/Phantom-traffic-jams-explained.html
    A similar bridge in France, Pont de Saint-Nazaire, 3356m in total with a 720m cable stay centre section, has a 70kmh hour speed limit.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Nazaire_Bridge
    The greater the variation in speed limit over the bridge the greater the potential for it to cause problems.

The 2700m cable stayed Queensferry bridge in Scotland uses wind deflectors
    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/517738/great-improvement-traffic-keeps-moving-queensferry-crossings-wind-shields-prove-worth/
    and has a 70mph speed limit
    https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/70-mph-for-queensferry-crossing/
    Surely similar measures could be put in place for the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy bridge.

If the proposed 30kmh speed limit and traffic calming measures are true it's nothing short of sheer lunacy. Designing in a traffic bottleneck + potential hazard when there should be engineering options to have a bridge capable of supporting HQDC speed limits and maintaining smooth, safe traffic flow beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Remember when they had similar problems on the Westlink M50 bridge and had to fit wind barriers to allow safe movement of traffic?
    Interesting to see what they do with the RFK.
    As to the question of cyclists using it, if they go ahead with the Greenway utilising the old railway bridge, any cyclist caught on the RFK should be fined and then thrown over the side😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

Chicanes on the bridge. Surely not? If it's really so bad to be contemplating a 30 km/h permanent speed limit, then why not engineering measures instead? The Queensferry crossing in Scotland uses baffles on the sides to deflect wind, and it's supposed to be very effective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46701545

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If they do that they might as well have put a ferry link in :rolleyes:

But there is history here, just look at the original limit on the ring road (Waterford) when it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

plodder wrote: »
    They dodged a bullet in that case. Lucky it didn't end up Bridgey McBridge-face

I’m not sure that people could vote online and if they could it was for a pre determined few names

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s August 1st not April 1st:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jaysus it'll be like the old ferrycarrig bridge before it was finally decommissioned... Wexford is a great county for rumours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

alta stare wrote: »
    That raises a good question though. Will cycling be allowed? I dont think they allow it on the Waterford bypass so this could be the same.

I don't think I have ever seen signs on the N25 Waterford bypass to say cyclists (or the other restrictions usually reserved for motorways) are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

hi5 wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever seen signs on the N25 Waterford bypass to say cyclists (or the other restrictions usually reserved for motorways) are not allowed.

I think there is, y'know.. on the onslips I def remember seeing them.

hi5 wrote: »

Yeah 100% there is a sign saying no pedestrians no pedal cyclist and no animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Ah Ok, no Sunday morning sulkey racing on the Rose Kennedy bridge then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

alta stare wrote: »
    Yeah 100% there is a sign saying no pedestrians no pedal cyclist and no animals.

The restrictions only relate to the bridge and immediate approaches though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

tonc76 wrote: »

It’s bizarre that it’s not under motorway regulations. Absolutely no reason not to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

marno21 wrote: »
    It’s bizarre that it’s not under motorway regulations. Absolutely no reason not to

I think the reason the NRA (now TII) gave at the time was that they didn't want any more short stretches of motorway around the place. I don't know why this was a problem, but there may have been a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They have them on the main carriageway also - but bizarrely after any pedestrian or cyclist has passed the "off" ramp :D

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2820081,-7.1459909,3a,61.4y,214.71h,92.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suJUWe139l6-ZCCAxmyDqdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

I have had the pleasure of crossing the amazing 2Km. Millau bridge over the Tarn Gorge in central southern France a couple of times. A motorway bridge, tolled of course. 7 pylons, cable stayed. Carriageway more than 1000 feet over the river Tarn (you could stand the Eiffel Tower under it!)

This bridge has elaborate filleted wind deflecting boundaries to allow safe passage of trucks &c in high winds. I would expect something similar to be in the spec. of the RFK bridge.

Tom K.

Yeah i know and my reply was to a post which mentioned cycling over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Do you have a link to the source for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Waterford whispers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

No chance whatsoever of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 31/07/19 (pic n25 on twitter )
    nhAURof.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 28/10/18
    PNYQZ6v.jpg
    01/08/19
    BXEU07Z.jpg

• Advertisement

Im not so sure the poster was being serious to be fair.

Advertisement