Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

:eek: Shame s/he didn't use an emoticon :o

(See what I did there..?)

[Back on topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 02/08/19 (pic skypix)
    jhynV9r.jpg

The barrow crossing 01/08/19 (pic n25 on twitter)
    B57rUsj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 02/08/19 (pic skypix)
    jhynV9r.jpg
    What a beautiful-looking piece of infrastructure that is.

serfboard wrote: »
    What a beautiful-looking piece of infrastructure that is.

It's world class can't wait to drive on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Bards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Much more elegant design than the other major crossings built in the last decade or so. That said It's slightly annoying the main tower is offset :D

The barrow crossing August 18
    JLSx5D1.jpg
    June 19
    dB7Sv4H.jpg
    A closer look
    Y8wyQqT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Much more elegant design than the other major crossings built in the last decade or so. That said It's slightly annoying the main tower is offset :D
    Maybe they should reroute the river and move it about 130 mtrs to the east,
    Then you would have perfect symmetry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Maybe they should reroute the river and move it about 130 mtrs to the east,
    Then you would have perfect symmetry :D

Get the Dutch back, they rerouted it the last time.
    Although 130m is a big ask.

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 03/08/19(pic skypics)
    E27pYAK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Just back from a spin south, the Ferns bypass is a terrific stretch, the vista that opens before you near the start southbound is gorgeous. I thought the Enniscorthy one was open but no. Had to do twice round the roundabout to find the old New Ross exit, me and several others doing loops :D

The barrow crossing July 19 (pics n25newross website )
    O0XBARf.jpg

MpIOo5H.jpg

eWNEtPY.jpg

YqokUZ8.jpg

clbtXeU.jpg

eVWYoAP.jpg

B3r9SRp.jpg

PwZgwHa.jpg

fCvRSVp.jpg

X3ykJr2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Fantastic pics. Any word how long more it will be? Is it still an October/November timeframe?

alta stare wrote: »
    Fantastic pics. Any word how long more it will be? Is it still an October/November timeframe?

It's still on for an early November opening speaking of pics wouldn't all the pics form this forum make a lovely 2020 calander it will be something we can show our kids in years to come instead of looking at tables and smartphones

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Is it an optical illusion or is there a drop in the concrete plinth level around the central pillar? ( third last photo) I know that this will be hidden by the concrete still to be cast but it just looks extreme in that photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Decoda wrote: »
    Is it an optical illusion or is there a drop in the concrete plinth level around the central pillar? ( third last photo) I know that this will be hidden by the concrete still to be cast but it just looks extreme in that photo?

Not an optical illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Decoda wrote: »

Those photos were taken before the final pour. It would be interesting to see a photo from the same angle once the tensioning has been completed. I would expect it to be a smooth flow from one end to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

ah that explains it...I would presume that some of that drop would be reduced post tensioning but I too would be curious to see a shot from the same location now to see.

D.

It's still on for an early November opening speaking of pics wouldn't all the pics form this forum make a lovely 2020 calander it will be something we can show our kids in years to come instead of looking at tables and smartphones

Yeah they would alright. It would be a lovely calendar. Unfortunately i think the kids would just grunt if you showed them anything to do with such a project.

I cant wait for it to open...the traffic right now in New Ross is backed up all the way passed the Garda station. Painful. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

Well illustrated in the photos if you look at the right ones, but just before the join(s) there was something like a four-foot height disparity between the ends. This was corrected using those whacking great black six-foot-high steel beams with bolt rods through & cranked up to level before the final pour(s). No doubt some cable stay tensioning was done as well, so all looks really well now.

I have no doubt it was all pre-calculated. Just interesting for us non-engineers to observe.

Tom K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, traffic is atrocious in both directions these days. Not sure why the Wexford side has gotten so bad in the last year or so n the evenings? Think it might be that new roundabout by the Brandon House.

TDWKwEr.jpg

The barrow crossing 03/08/19

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, traffic is atrocious in both directions these days. Not sure why the Wexford side has gotten so bad in the last year or so n the evenings? Think it might be that new roundabout by the Brandon House.

I actually think that helps the traffic coming out from the side road. From what i see the issue is the approach to the bridge coming from the Enniscorthy side of New Ross. When cars meet at that part of the bridge no one seems to know how to use the layout so it causes issues. The new bridge will be a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The barrow crossing 03/08/19

Lovely video to watch on a 22'' monitor

The barrow crossing August 17
    7Ya1nmR.jpg
    July 19
    6gWGujb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I heard there's some problem with bearing plates, whatever they are. Some need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is that a big job - sounds kinda big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It seems to be something that lies between the pier and the deck.

And a short video of a system used in replacing them. If they do need replacing, it doesn't seem that huge a task. As in, it doesn't need anything to be dug up or taken apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvL8a_P4hc

Advertisement