Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

JohnC. wrote: »
    It seems to be something that lies between the pier and the deck.

And a short video of a system used in replacing them. If they do need replacing, it doesn't seem that huge a task. As in, it doesn't need anything to be dug up or taken apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvL8a_P4hc

Looks straightforward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I heard there's some problem with bearing plates, whatever they are. Some need to be replaced.

Often during construction temporary bearing plates are used as loadings are different than on the finished and tensioned structure.

It sounds to me like they are going to put permanent bearing plates now once the main structure is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Was down at the bridge today. It is very impressive. A fantastic piece of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Geogregor wrote: »
    Often during construction temporary bearing plates are used as loadings are different than on the finished and tensioned structure.

It sounds to me like they are going to put permanent bearing plates now once the main structure is finished.

Yea sounds like that alright, anything I hear from anyone working on it I take with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

If they were to continue upgrading the N25 to Motorway standard, would a bridge of similar cost and complexity to this one be needed at the Youghal bypass?

Or could the current bridge, which appears to span 280m across the River Blackwater, be widened and upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If they were to continue upgrading the N25 to Motorway standard, would a bridge of similar cost and complexity to this one be needed at the Youghal bypass?

Or could the current bridge, which appears to span 280m across the River Blackwater, be widened and upgraded?

Don't think it can be widened and upgraded because they've done that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You could plop another one next to it, but the geography at both ends would make it very messy.

If/when they ever upgrade the Youghal Bridge it'll be a new structure of some sort. It'll be a big bridge if it ever gets done, but I do think they'll have to do it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Finally got to take a look at it in the flesh yesterday. Very impressive.

Took some photos - not the best quality but you get the idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=488126&stc=1&d=1565803344

attachment.php?attachmentid=488127&stc=1&d=1565803356

attachment.php?attachmentid=488128&stc=1&d=1565803367

attachment.php?attachmentid=488129&stc=1&d=1565803383

attachment.php?attachmentid=488130&stc=1&d=1565803390

More...

488131.jpg

488132.jpg

488133.jpg

488134.jpg

488135.jpg

More...

488137.jpg

488136.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 insta_mavic

The aerial shots and fly by's are all really good but pictures from the ground like Joey Joe-Joe Jr's put the bridge back in context for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looking forward to when they've gotten the scaffolding and travelers off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Side panels going in 12/08/19 (pic instragram)
    1yRxrrp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Assume it’s only the bridge to be completed now and every other part of the road is in place and ready to open?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Assume it’s only the bridge to be completed now and every other part of the road is in place and ready to open?

No. The road from the bridge heading toward Glenmore is not done. There is an overpass there which is not finished either. Im pretty sure on the wexford side of the bridge there is loads of work left aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Would you say the November date is now looking like an ambitious opening target given the amount of work left?

prunudo wrote: »
    Would you say the November date is now looking like an ambitious opening target given the amount of work left?

I wouldn't think so but who knows only those involved. I did hear though that apparently some of the concrete is crumbling so that has to be rectified. That came from someone working on the bridge. To be honest id take all these rumours of issues with a pinch of salt. Projects like this will have issues and hopefully none are major so yeah i think they will get it done for a November opening.

If they aimed for a mid November opening then they still have 3 months. Alot can be done in 3 months.

alta stare wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so but who knows only those involved. I did hear though that apparently some of the concrete is crumbling so that has to be rectified. That came from someone working on the bridge. To be honest id take all these rumours of issues with a pinch of salt. Projects like this will have issues and hopefully none are major so yeah i think they will get it done for a November opening.

If they aimed for a mid November opening then they still have 3 months. Alot can be done in 3 months.

The donkey work is now complete the are going to stress test the bridge then it's down to signs tarmac cctv lighting and road signs all will be ready to go in the frist week of November can't wait

m17 wrote: »
    The donkey work is now complete the are going to stress test the bridge then it's down to signs tarmac cctv lighting and road signs all will be ready to go in the frist week of November can't wait

Lets hope it all goes smoothly.

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 16/08/19 (pic fb)
    PLVseWC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

m17 that is ace, maybe a screensaver for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

48570666462_1799d6a765_b.jpg

All quiet out there today .

On top of the world 19/07/19 (pic fb)
    j5r2xma.jpg

^^^^^

When my father was in charge of safety on a load of those cranes in a UK Naval dockyard the Royal Marines used to train on them and climb out to the end and abseil down.

m17 wrote: »
    On top of the world 19/07/19 (pic fb)
    j5r2xma.jpg

That is a great shot.

That is a great shot.

Would love to see one taken by a real person on the end of that thing looking straight down.

The barrow crossing 17/08/19 (pic instragram)
    XfdopHB.jpg

The barrow crossing 04/08/19 (pic twitter )
    ZNabmGY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Not sure about crumbling but approx 18 months ago some of the concrete that was holdings the cables "exploded" under strain.

Advertisement