Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

blindsider wrote: »
    In operation on the M50 AFAIR

It's not. JohnC. is correct, it hasn't been legislated for yet.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-07-03/309/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks for the link.

Nice to be able to blame Brexit for everything.

I was on the M50 3-4 weeks ago and I'm fairly sure that there was a speed limit on an o/head gantry <100K/mh.

Any M50 users confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Back on topic the barrow crossing 25/08/19 (instragram)
    mf9sS2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.

Nice to be able to blame Brexit for everything.

I was on the M50 3-4 weeks ago and I'm fairly sure that there was a speed limit on an o/head gantry <100K/mh.

Any M50 users confirm this?

Was it the port tunnel, by any chance, which is technically the M50 and an 80km/h limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know how many 'pours' it took to complete the bridge?

From the photos I'm guessing around 400-500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭eagerv

Now just the waiting..

Was at the Wexford side a few days ago, noticed that the dip on the Wexford side looks a bit more level, or perhaps just my eyes!

There is further work on the edge capping and some railings installed. Looks about waist height or a little higher. Probably not much of a wind break for higher vehicles but hopefully should leave a good view for car drivers.

Hate the wait..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it standard practice on newer bridges to obscure the view for cars so that drivers don't rubberneck?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

josip wrote: »
    Is it standard practice on newer bridges to obscure the view for cars so that drivers don't rubberneck?

Never thought of that before!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Never thought of that before!
    Certainly the case on the Mersey Gateway Bridge that opened 2017, there is very poor view from the deck for cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I know some bridges that have a good view in the UK but they aren't motorways and have a speed limit anyway. Taymar bridge for example A38 Devon into Cornwall with a 40mph limit which can be lower when its windy.

Motorway bridges in the UK always seem to have fences so you can't see the view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Bridge over the Liffey on the M50, high sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Bridge over the Liffey on the M50, high sides.

Was installed to deter jumpers. I heard anecdotally from someone working there that there used to be an incident weekly, but was never reported in the news to deter copycats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Surely if high sides are needed, they can use a transparent material, so that we still get the view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fricatus wrote: »
    Surely if high sides are needed, they can use a transparent material, so that we still get the view?

Every time I go over the Severn Bridge in the UK I think it would be really nice to see the view but then I think **** if everyone was looking at the view and driving at 70mph there'd be crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The type of edge protection required on these structures and the supplier can have a bearing on whether these systems are see through or "solid". For example higher containment barriers (H2) can be rail systems whereas very high containment barriers (H4a) can be "solid" as per the attached images. Once the system in question passes the testing requirements in accordance with EN 1317 and is as per the contract specification it is effectively deemed acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

my3cents wrote: »
    Every time I go over the Severn Bridge in the UK I think it would be really nice to see the view but then I think **** if everyone was looking at the view and driving at 70mph there'd be crash.
    You could always add a mile to your journey and take the M48 bridge and get a nice view of
    the railway bridge and the newer severn bridge (as a passenger of course)

The barrow crossing and new ross 02/09/19

Under the bridge 04/09/19 (pic fb)
    j87cbuf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Love the music in M17's video above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

48695742871_a07a03966c_b.jpg

From Sliabh Coillte today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Any word on the opening date yet? Last I heard mooted was early November?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭eagerv

BQYamyE.jpg

A bit of the outer railing uprights today. Presume there will be another crash barrier inside this.

Looks a bit like the barrier on the new Waterford Bypass Bridge, if so will give a reasonable view..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

All you need to know about the bridge is in this article. Worthwhile the ten minutes to read it.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2019/09/09/crossing-no-46-river-barrows-latest-iconic-bridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

All you need to know about the bridge is in this article. Worthwhile the ten minutes to read it.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2019/09/09/crossing-no-46-river-barrows-latest-iconic-bridge/

Good Stuff
    The deck is designed to allow internal access to provide inspection galleries for future maintenance. Secure doors at each end within the abutments provide access inside the bridge.

Clear access is provided throughout the entire deck, and as the floor of the deck inclined, suitable walking platforms and railings are installed. Lighting and a power supply are also provided.

Does this mean there is a tunnel all the way through the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

wytek wrote: »
    Good Stuff

Does this mean there is a tunnel all the way through the bridge?

Yes. I was lucky enough to be in it during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Yes. I was lucky enough to be in it during construction.

Cool... Great place for drinking cans..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Cool... Great place for drinking cans..
    Emm ... I think you missed this bit:
    Secure doors at each end

The barrow crossing 08/09/19 (pics fb)
    aFoqZOq.jpg

gmBF3Cr.jpg

VEqvmiz.jpg

4qKGrYc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

m17 wrote: »
    Under the bridge 04/09/19 (pic fb)
    j87cbuf.jpg

That smells like a temp pier. Earth mound might be preparation to take it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

serfboard wrote: »
    Emm ... I think you missed this bit:
    woosh...

Advertisement