Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 05/09/19 (pic instragram )
    czu3NoP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Upriver yesterday evening by boat..

efh2d7N.jpg

VwcrJSr.jpg

u0pM85e.jpg

OzTcbhy.jpg

^^^ brilliant pics eagerv great work

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I was there yesterday in the sunshine, great to see it almost done. It has such a lovely elegant sweep round and down (visible from KK side) The new bypasses made a huge difference, I bombed down in just over an hour from Wicklow. There are road signs on the WX side now so not long to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is there an estimated time of opening for this road? Live in east cork, originally from Wicklow, this looks like it'll be the quickest route home now. Didn't know it was being built, will make a nice change from the M8/M50 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Mushy wrote: »
    Is there an estimated time of opening for this road? Live in east cork, originally from Wicklow, this looks like it'll be the quickest route home now. Didn't know it was being built, will make a nice change from the M8/M50 too.

Maybe around November time, all being well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bray to Cork will likely be only 10 minutes longer outside of traffic via the M11/N30/N25 once this is done. In traffic, its debatable, but certainly late on a summers evening thats the way I'll be going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray to Cork will likely be only 10 minutes longer outside of traffic via the M11/N30/N25 once this is done. In traffic, its debatable, but certainly late on a summers evening thats the way I'll be going.

Dublin to Ennis is much the same time going M6 vs M7. The new connections make alternatives more available.

I think the extra 10 mins would be well worth it just to marvel at the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I wouldn't be sure about that, the section from the N30 roundabout to Corcoran's roundabout through Clonroche can be extremely frustrating, it just takes one tractor/ Micra-Yaris driver to ruin your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I did a Google maps this morning, point to point (I'm bout 20 mins east of cork, heading to 20 mins South of bray). Was an 8 minute difference, so with this road taking out a good chunk, it should tip it in its favour.

As otherwise mentioned, having an alternative way is nice as the motorway can be tedious

• Advertisement

For anyone living in the Waterford area it will be a great alternate route to the south Dublin/Bray area.

Also with more electric cars coming on stream, this will be a more practical route with the new Ionity chargers at Gorey services on the M11. (Presently the M9 has no fast chargers on route AFAIK.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭blackwhite

eagerv wrote: »
    For anyone living in the Waterford area it will be a great alternate route to the south Dublin/Bray area.

Also with more electric cars coming on stream, this will be a more practical route with the new Ionity chargers at Gorey services on the M11. (Presently the M9 has no fast chargers on route AFAIK.)

Kilcullen MSA will have them, and is slated to open around the same time as the bridge

I thought the Carlow Circle K was due to get them as well?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Kilcullen MSA will have them, and is slated to open around the same time as the bridge

I thought the Carlow Circle K was due to get them as well?

Yes more will hopefully be opening, not sure if they will be Ionity, which are the best at the moment. (Except Tesla Superchargers)

However the new bridge route will allow a shorter distance from Waterford area to Bray/South Dublin. Average speeds will be a little lower which will suit EVs. Will suit many people who are not too time constrained and IMO a much nicer drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be sure about that, the section from the N30 roundabout to Corcoran's roundabout through Clonroche can be extremely frustrating, it just takes one tractor/ Micra-Yaris driver to ruin your day.

Will we still have to come off the motorway driving south
    Go by the N30 link road bypassing Enniscorthy then through Clonroche to use the new bridge bypassing New Ross?

Lackey wrote: »
    Will we still have to come off the motorway driving south
    Go by the N30 link road bypassing Enniscorthy then through Clonroche to use the new bridge bypassing New Ross?

Yes, unless you stay on the M11 to the end, go through Oylegate, down to the first roundabout and take the N25 for New Ross and cross the bridge from that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Yes, unless you stay on the M11 to the end, go through Oylegate, down to the first roundabout and take the N25 for New Ross and cross the bridge from that direction.

Thanks
    Thought I would be able to stay on a motorway (or at least stay on the N30 link road to the motorway ) all the way down to the roundabout for cork Waterford etc.
    I hate that road past Clonroche.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lackey wrote: »
    I hate that road past Clonroche.

It's not that bad, you can keep a steady hundred on it all the way once you leave Clonroche, including past the most optimistic speed van in the country.

josip wrote: »
    It's not that bad, you can keep a steady hundred on it all the way once you leave Clonroche, including past the most optimistic speed van in the country.

I’d be impressed to see you keep it on black stuff at 100 through the roundabouts :D

The new ross bypass 16/09/19 (pics fb )
    LVLHZNj.jpg

FYHFSfm.jpg

UEo43rW.jpg

faxeqsS.jpg

VK1uhfY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Just heard the bridge will be delayed until next year. A problem with a pier or something.

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    Just heard the bridge will be delayed until next year. A problem with a pier or something.

Did you hear that on the news or from a source/friend?

Did you hear that on the news from a source/friend?

Waterford whispers...

A hundred? You will in your sack!!!

A hundred? You will in your sack!!!

Mods, please remove if this is too far off topic.
    I usually travel that road at night so traffic hold ups are rare.
    My post referred to the section of road from Clonroche to the start of the new bypass at the New Ross end of the tramp's heartbreak.
    If I have family in the car, I'll take the bends around Donellans easier at 80 and the bend shortly after at 90.
    If I'm by myself ,I'll keep it to 100 as long as the road surface is dry and the farmers haven't been out.

Even on the old road before the bypass, you could keep it at 100 apart from the back lane into Furlongs where I would ease off to 80.
    Bottom of the Ferry on the way into Ross was lovely before the new speed limits, drop to 3rd just before the bend and nice high revs up to Mannions.
    100 all the way into Cherry's Brewery.
    This is 100kph, not 100mph, although 100kph on the speedometer is probably only around 96kph in reality.

My point in all the above is that although the road from New Ross to Clonroche doesn't compare well with the new 2 lane sections, or even the newer Clonroche to Enniscorthy part, it's not that bad a road for the traffic volumes that are on it.
    There are plenty of long straights for overtaking if there's slow traffic.
    I don't think that improving it will be a priority in the near future.
    There is no longer even a direct bus services from New Ross to Dublin, there used to be 2.
    That route doesn't figure in the national planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

From the Wexford People today.
    Bridge repairs mean Ross bypass may not open until 2020
    The New Ross Bypass may not open until 2020.

Corrective actions have been successfully undertaken to address an issue identified at the deck interface with one of the piers, but this has caused some interruption to the construction programme, Project Liaison Officer with Wexford County Council, Sean Dobbs said.

The motorway was due to open in the first half of this year but this was later revised to the autumn.

In July it emerged that a problem had been identified with one of the support structures.

Eight permanent piers form part of the overall bridge structure and three temporary piers were required during the construction phase. An issue with one of the pier supports at the interface where the pier meets the underside of the bridge deck was identified.

Director of services for Roads Eamonn Hore with Wexford County Council said at the time that the matter was being addressed as part of the Public Private Partnership contract.

It is expected that late fees will apply to the contractor.

The latest update on the project has indicated that works may continue well into the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Full article -

“The New Ross By­pass may not open un­til 2020.
    Cor­rec­tive ac­tions have been suc­cess­fully un­der­taken to ad­dress an is­sue iden­ti­fied at the deck in­ter­face with one of the piers, but this has caused some in­ter­rup­tion to the con­struc­tion pro­gramme, Project Li­ai­son Of­fi­cer with Wex­ford County Coun­cil, Sean Dobbs said.
    The mo­tor­way was due to open in the first half of this year but this was later re­vised to the au­tumn.
    In July it emerged that a prob­lem had been iden­ti­fied with one of the sup­port struc­tures.
    Eight per­ma­nent piers form part of the over­all bridge struc­ture and three tem­po­rary piers were re­quired dur­ing the con­struc­tion phase. An is­sue with one of the pier sup­ports at the in­ter­face where the pier meets the un­der­side of the bridge deck was iden­ti­fied.
    Di­rec­tor of ser­vices for Roads Ea­monn Hore with Wex­ford County Coun­cil said at the time that the mat­ter was be­ing ad­dressed as part of the Pub­lic Pri­vate Partnership con­tract.
    It is ex­pected that late fees will ap­ply to the con­trac­tor.
    The lat­est up­date on the project has in­di­cated that works may con­tinue well into the win­ter.
    Mr Dobbs said the by­pass – which is be­ing built by BAM Irid­ium at the stated cost of €230m – achieved an­other sig­nif­i­cant mile­stone last week with the com­ple­tion of the fi­nal clos­ing deck sec­tion on the River Bar­row Bridge.
    ‘Now that the main struc­tural works are com­pleted on the bridge, it looks very close to be­ing fin­ished,’ he said, be­fore adding that there is a regime of se­quenced fin­ish­ing works that need to be com­pleted be­fore the bridge is ready to open to traf­fic.
    These works have al­ready com­menced and in­clude wa­ter­proof­ing, rail­ings, bar­ri­ers, drainage, kerb­ing, pave­ment and lin­ing, as well as the in­stal­la­tion of ar­chi­tec­tural and nav­i­ga­tion light­ing and bridge mon­i­tor­ing sys­tems.
    The re­moval of tem­po­rary works such as piers and the work­ing plat­form at the river is also re­quired.
    ‘A sched­ule of in­spec­tions, au­dits and cer­ti­fi­ca­tions also need to be closed out be­fore the project can open to traf­fic. There are also some road­works that re­main to be com­pleted, as well as some re­main­ing ac­com­mo­da­tion works for landown­ers.
    ‘Wex­ford County Coun­cil re­mains hopeful that the project will open be­fore the end of the year, but also recognises that the time-line is chal­leng­ing and is sub­ject to on­go­ing re­view.’
    The upcoming win­ter sea­son also brings risks of weather events that could also in­ter­rupt the pro­gramme.
    Mr Dobbs said: ‘We are con­scious that there is a grow­ing an­tic­i­pa­tion of the open­ing and that a lot of peo­ple in the New Ross area and be­yond have waited a long time to see this project come to fruition. A lot of peo­ple are also par­tic­u­larly look­ing for­ward to get­ting the op­por­tu­nity to travel on the bridge and see it up close. In that re­spect we are en­gag­ing with all of the project stake­hold­ers on the lo­gis­tics of host­ing a com­mu­nity fundrais­ing event be­fore open­ing.’
    The project stake­hold­ers are work­ing to en­sure that the project is com­pleted safely and opened at the ear­li­est op­por­tu­nity to re­alise the ben­e­fits that the project will bring to New Ross and the wider re­gion, Mr Dobbs said.”

vicwatson wrote: »
    The mo­tor­way was due to open in the first half of this year but this was later re­vised to the au­tumn.

Someone in Wexford People getting a little carried away with themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

blackwhite wrote: »
    Someone in Wexford People getting a little carried away with themselves :pac:

Indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It's obvious to see. I was out there last Saturday and one of the pillars is completely surrounded with scaffolding.
    There is a lot of final stages work to do still.

• Advertisement

Mods, please remove if this is too far off topic.
    I usually travel that road at night so traffic hold ups are rare.
    My post referred to the section of road from Clonroche to the start of the new bypass at the New Ross end of the tramp's heartbreak.
    If I have family in the car, I'll take the bends around Donellans easier at 80 and the bend shortly after at 90.
    If I'm by myself ,I'll keep it to 100 as long as the road surface is dry and the farmers haven't been out.

Even on the old road before the bypass, you could keep it at 100 apart from the back lane into Furlongs where I would ease off to 80.
    Bottom of the Ferry on the way into Ross was lovely before the new speed limits, drop to 3rd just before the bend and nice high revs up to Mannions.
    100 all the way into Cherry's Brewery.
    This is 100kph, not 100mph, although 100kph on the speedometer is probably only around 96kph in reality.

My point in all the above is that although the road from New Ross to Clonroche doesn't compare well with the new 2 lane sections, or even the newer Clonroche to Enniscorthy part, it's not that bad a road for the traffic volumes that are on it.
    There are plenty of long straights for overtaking if there's slow traffic.
    I don't think that improving it will be a priority in the near future.
    There is no longer even a direct bus services from New Ross to Dublin, there used to be 2.
    That route doesn't figure in the national planning.

Over crest 10, flat out on the straight, left 20 followed by sharp right... Did you enjoy the rally?

Advertisement