Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Over crest 10, flat out on the straight, left 20 followed by sharp right... Did you enjoy the rally?

I suspect I'd be an "Oh dear god" kind of person if I ever got close to a real rally car.
    But there's a little part of me that misses some of the bends on the old N11/N30 sections.

https://goo.gl/maps/ec8rvR3ojQiD35ZT9
    https://goo.gl/maps/xZRyWCixyxGceZiu9

I don't miss having to drive through Arklow though, with or without the shortcut and I very much appreciate the greater safety that comes with the motorway.
    It's a massive improvement over the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

josip wrote: »
    I suspect I'd be an "Oh dear god" kind of person if I ever got close to a real rally car.
    But there's a little part of me that misses some of the bends on the old N11/N30 sections.

https://goo.gl/maps/ec8rvR3ojQiD35ZT9
    https://goo.gl/maps/xZRyWCixyxGceZiu9

I don't miss having to drive through Arklow though, with or without the shortcut and I very much appreciate the greater safety that comes with the motorway.
    It's a massive improvement over the last 30 years.

Would love to give it a lash all the same! The old road from Ross to Waterford along the Barrow was lovely, snaking through the two railway bridges, you wouldn't want to be in a hurry though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 18/09/19 sunrise this morning (pic fb)
    xjculvN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

anyone hear of a major accident on Site in the past week or 2? major fall from heights by a piece of plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 18/09/19 sunrise this morning (pic fb)
    xjculvN.jpg
    Some photo.
    Wouldn't it be something if it aligned with the rising and setting sun on the
    equinoxes ,the autumn one is on Monday I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

Wouldn't it be something if it aligned with the rising and setting sun on the equinoxes
    It's those kind of accidents that give Newgrange its undeserved reputation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

As of this morning from near JFK homestead

8HNLEDJ.jpg

The barrow crossing August 19 (pics n25newross website)
    NTWtoX2.jpg

YmsKmXy.jpg

kcquiVI.jpg

FvFrt7Z.jpg

Oo1eX2j.jpg

VZeNZhj.jpg

RUIG81L.jpg

FC0OQoF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

“Crumbling concrete delays finish of Ireland’s longest bridge” . Article in Today’s Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

jelutong wrote: »
    “Crumbling concrete delays finish of Ireland’s longest bridge” . Article in Today’s Irish Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/crumbling-concrete-delays-finish-of-ireland-s-longest-bridge-1.4029146?localLinksEnabled=false

The barrow crossing 24/09/19 (pic Irish times)
    vXGuQlF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

The bridge status shown in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111335065&postcount=1899 had me wondering about the temporary piers.
    In that diagram they're showing as no longer in contact with the deck and I was curious if they were being dismantled or not quite the same in reality.

The Kilkenny side one isn't being dismantled, but there's a clear gap between it and the deck. Would that have opened up when the cables were being tensioned and the bridge deck was pulled up?

JShpiuQ.png

(pillar on the right)
    UbNn0hO.png

While I was there, a bit of brutalism
    dX1g9NR.png

and less brutal
    WCRRLmY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Saw on KCLR some County Cllr say it won't open until new year thnaks to the problems in the structure?
    God be with the days when roads projects in this country came in well ahead of schedule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    Saw on KCLR some County Cllr say it won't open until new year thnaks to the problems in the structure?
    God be with the days when roads projects in this country came in well ahead of schedule.

The Enniscorthy bypass came in on time. This project has a large non standard component which caused delays, which is excusable. It’s far from a bog standard road project

The barrow crossing 29/09/19 (pic twitter )
    378CC3Q.jpg

road_high wrote: »

The roads to the bridge are all done. Would you be happier if they rushed the inspection and it collapsed 6 months later? It's a huge engineering project that has to be perfect, if that means delays so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The roads to the bridge are all done. Would you be happier if they rushed the inspection and it collapsed 6 months later? It's a huge engineering project that has to be perfect, if that means delays so be it.
    Hard to put to much faith in what the media are saying but having spoken to some locals who’ve worked on the bridge, this is a serious issue that should NOT have happened!
    Half a billion euro and they didn’t pour some of the concrete properly!
    Heads should roll.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Hard to put to much faith in what the media are saying but having spoken to some locals who’ve worked on the bridge, this is a serious issue that should NOT have happened!
    Half a billion euro and they didn’t pour some of the concrete properly!
    Heads should roll.

In how many tons of concrete poured? Dial down the faux outrage, it's a bloody bridge...

In how many tons of concrete poured? Dial down the faux outrage, it's a bloody bridge...
    It’s not faux outrage.
    It was hardly an untested, untried method of construction.
    As to your “it’s a bloody bridge” comment.
    Care to elaborate on that?
    The French can build a bridge (same cable stay design and construction method) over a thousand feet high, the Chinese can build a bridge 34 miles long (same cable stay design and construction method) without any concrete issues so why the f*#k should a bridge here have problems?
    It’s a tried and tested method of building bridges!
    There has got to be accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think you will find there are occasional problems in other countries too. Maybe stop posting as if everywhere else is perfect and an error can only happen here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JohnC. wrote: »
    I think you will find there are occasional problems in other countries too. Maybe stop posting as if everywhere else is perfect and an error can only happen here.

It is not as if Crossrail in London or the Berlin Airport are projects without problems.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I’m not posting as if other countries projects don’t have issues, I’m not a Paddy knocker, I’m extremely proud of this country and the people who live, work and die here (and I don’t care where they’re from!) and the projects that get done etc etc but this is something that should not have happened. Simples.

It is not as if Crossrail in London or the Berlin Airport are projects without problems.

Hahaha Berlin airport fire alarm issues, not comparable to RFK bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

The French can build a bridge (same cable stay design and construction method) over a thousand feet high, the Chinese can build a bridge 34 miles long (same cable stay design and construction method) without any concrete issues.

A constructive criticism is less effective when conveyed in units of measurement that only my grandfather still uses.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    A constructive criticism is less effective when conveyed in units of measurement that only my grandfather still uses.

Quite a lot of people can easily deal with various units of measurement.
    Obviously beyond your grasp.
    Very easy to convert into units you’re familiar with.
    The French bridge is approximately 13,200 jelly babys or 36.900 LEGO studs high.
    Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hahaha Berlin airport fire alarm issues, not comparable to RFK bridge.

The projected cost of the Berlin airport was €2bn but is currently at €7.2 bn, due to open in 2011, and unlikely to open before 2021, if then, if ever.

No, not a bit comparable to RFK bridge - a bit of poor pouring of concrete, and a month or so delay.

The projected cost of the Berlin airport was €2bn but is currently at €7.2 bn, due to open in 2011, and unlikely to open before 2021, if then, if ever.

No, not a bit comparable to RFK bridge - a bit of poor pouring of concrete, and a month or so delay.
    New Berlin Airport will never open in it’s current form, most likely it’ll be bulldozed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

The concrete is crumbling in one the pillars. It’s a major problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

jelutong wrote: »
    The concrete is crumbling in one the pillars. It’s a major problem.

Is it like, a huge problem that will take months and months to remedy or remedial work over a few weeks? It does seem a pretty basic thing to go so wrong though.

Advertisement