Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Andrew33 wrote: »
    It’s not faux outrage.
    It was hardly an untested, untried method of construction.
    As to your “it’s a bloody bridge” comment.
    Care to elaborate on that?
    The French can build a bridge (same cable stay design and construction method) over a thousand feet high, the Chinese can build a bridge 34 miles long (same cable stay design and construction method) without any concrete issues so why the f*#k should a bridge here have problems?
    It’s a tried and tested method of building bridges!
    There has got to be accountability.

Now, get over it, thought it was self explanatory.

It's an extrados bridge not a cable stay design.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jelutong wrote: »
    The concrete is crumbling in one the pillars. It’s a major problem.

Was crumbling and is fixed (unless there is another issue?)

Irish Times Sept 26th

“The problem, which was detected over the summer and has since been remedied, is thought to have been caused by voids within the pier which occurred during the high-pressure blasting of concrete during construction.”

“The spokesman said the matter was identified as part of a works monitoring regime and corrective action was successfully undertaken. While remediation work did not stop main construction work from progressing, the spokesman said that fixing the issue had led to a delay of “weeks, not months””

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

It's the longest extradosed bridge (span) in the world apparently. So, to say that a project like this must go to plan without a hitch is fairly wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

This was reported in the IT today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=ZC9_X2mEhqg

It's worth a watch......and something we definitely don't want to see again!

We would all like to have seen the bridge open on time. IIRC the initial target was earlier than Q4.
    The scheme is substantially completed and will open in the next few months, unlike the Dunkettle Interchange in Cork or the M20 Cork-Limerick which have been delayed, mothballed and re-tendered. Both are absolute disasters - in different ways.

Boston's Big Dig was 8 - 9 yrs late.....at least we're only talking a few months!

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    Time will tell.

Indeed.

But AT THE PRESENT TIME, the information that I posted from The Irish Times is correct. Anything else is fake news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I think some people here are overreacting - there was a problem which has now been fixed, which has created a short delay in opening. If you watch Extreme Engineering on Discovery, or if you work in construction you’ll know that things go wrong practically every day in big construction projects. It’s unrealistic to think they won’t.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think some people here are overreacting - there was a problem which has now been fixed, which has created a short delay in opening. If you watch Extreme Engineering on Discovery, or if you work in construction you’ll know that things go wrong practically every day in big construction projects. It’s unrealistic to think they won’t.

Exactly

spacetweek wrote: »

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing (pics twitter)
    xbyvOeY.jpg

7Lu3Joy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

jd wrote: »

Hoe lee fuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

jd wrote: »

That problem which was detected over the summer is thought to have been caused by void whitin the pier which occurred during the high pressure blasting of concrete during construction there was an issue with one of the 11 pier supports at the interface where the pier meats the underside of the bridge deck

Before
    HjP3kBo.jpg

After
    W9SDF3D.jpg

Wexford People 8th October

“Frag­mented sec­tion of New Ross by­pass bridge now re­paired”

By David Looby

“A Section of a con­crete down­stand on the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge which partly frag­mented un­der com­pres­sion load­ing due to ‘a lo­calised con­crete non-con­for­mance’ has been re­moved in its en­tirety by high pres­sure wa­ter jet­ting and the down­stand has been fully re­con­structed.
    There has been con­jec­ture on­line that the 887m bridge – which will be the long­est in Ire­land once it opens to traf­fic in the com­ing months – is not safe, a claim de­nied by man­age­ment who say com­pli­ca­tions al­ways arise in large en­gi­neer­ing projects like the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge.
    Wex­ford County Coun­cil project li­ai­sion of­fi­cer Sean Dobbs said: ‘As pre­vi­ously dis­cussed, there was a lo­calised non-con­for­mance at one of the 24 con­crete down­stands on the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge that re­quired cor­rec­tive ac­tions. The is­sue was iden­ti­fied as part of the works’ mon­i­tor­ing regime and cor­rec­tive ac­tions have al­ready been suc­cess­fully un­der­taken.’
    Mr Dobbs said the cause of the is­sue was iden­ti­fied as part of the Qual­ity Man­age­ment Sys­tem be­ing im­ple­mented on site. ‘In or­der to min­imise the in­ter­rup­tion to the over­all con­struc­tion pro­gramme, a new in­terim sup­port sys­tem was in­stalled.
    ‘This sys­tem will be re­placed by a per­ma­nent sys­tem be­fore the bridge opens. This process is a stan­dard so­lu­tion to an is­sue of this type and it will re­quire fur­ther ac­tions be­fore project com­ple­tion.’
    Mr Dobbs said some pub­lic com­ments on so­cial me­dia and else­where seem to be en­deav­our­ing to un­der­mine the qual­ity of work that has been car­ried out on this com­plex project.
    ‘As a con­se­quence, the in­tegrity of the men and women who have ded­i­cated their time and ex­per­tise to de­liv­er­ing one of the most unique bridge struc­tures in Ire­land and Europe is be­ing un­der­mined un­fairly. This project is com­plex and has chal­lenges, but the men and women work­ing on this project take their re­spon­si­bil­i­ties se­ri­ously and will be proud to be as­so­ci­ated with this bridge when it opens.
    ‘As pre­vi­ously noted, non-con­for­mances of this na­ture are not un­typ­i­cal on a con­crete struc­ture of this scale and com­plex­ity, and all as­pects of the works are sub­ject to a thor­ough in­spec­tion, test­ing and cer­ti­fi­ca­tion regime to en­sure that any such non-con­for­mances are iden­ti­fied and cor­rected so there is no im­pact on the qual­ity of the end prod­uct or de­liv­ery, as was the case in this in­stance.’
    As Ire­land’s long­est bridge, the con­struc­tion of the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy has cap­tured the pub­lic’s imag­i­na­tion and this is re­flected in the sig­nif­i­cant in­ter­est and com­ment gen­er­ated on so­cial me­dia, Mr Dobbs added.
    ‘At dif­fer­ent stages spec­u­la­tion and com­ment has arisen about dif­fer­ent as­pects of the con­struc­tion; sup­port piers sink­ing, decks not meet­ing in the mid­dle, piers be­ing de­mol­ished, in­cor­rect con­crete mixes be­ing used etc. Such spec­u­la­tion has proven to be in­ac­cu­rate and un­sub­stan­ti­ated. Open pub­lic de­bate is to be wel­comed on ma­jor pub­lic in­fra­struc­ture projects, par­tic­u­larly for such an iconic and record-break­ing struc­ture. How­ever, in or­der to as­suage gen­uine con­cerns that may arise from such de­bate, it is im­por­tant that ac­cu­rate in­for­ma­tion is pro­vided to the pub­lic. The project web­site www.n25newross.ie pro­vides a con­sid­er­able amount of in­for­ma­tion and up­dates on the project and also in­cludes an ar­ti­cle on the cor­rec­tive mea­sures un­der­taken to the con­crete down stand. Project up­dates have also been dis­sem­i­nated by quar­terly news­let­ters and pub­lic talks.’
    Mr Dobbs said the project rep­re­sents a very sig­nif­i­cant in­vest­ment in the south east re­gion, of the or­der of €230 mil­lion, and will gen­er­ate sig­nif­i­cant ben­e­fits to the re­gion par­tic­u­larly in terms of shorter and safer jour­neys for road users and im­proved ac­ces­si­bil­ity for New Ross and the wider re­gion.
    ‘The project stake­hold­ers are work­ing to­gether to en­sure that the project is com­pleted safely and opened at the ear­li­est op­por­tu­nity to re­alise the ben­e­fits that the project will bring to New Ross and the coun­try.’”

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wexford People 8th October

“Frag­mented sec­tion of New Ross by­pass bridge now re­paired”

By David Looby

“A Section of a con­crete down­stand on the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge which partly frag­mented un­der com­pres­sion load­ing due to ‘a lo­calised con­crete non-con­for­mance’ has been re­moved in its en­tirety by high pres­sure wa­ter jet­ting and the down­stand has been fully re­con­structed.
    There has been con­jec­ture on­line that the 887m bridge – which will be the long­est in Ire­land once it opens to traf­fic in the com­ing months – is not safe, a claim de­nied by man­age­ment who say com­pli­ca­tions al­ways arise in large en­gi­neer­ing projects like the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge.
    Wex­ford County Coun­cil project li­ai­sion of­fi­cer Sean Dobbs said: ‘As pre­vi­ously dis­cussed, there was a lo­calised non-con­for­mance at one of the 24 con­crete down­stands on the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy Bridge that re­quired cor­rec­tive ac­tions. The is­sue was iden­ti­fied as part of the works’ mon­i­tor­ing regime and cor­rec­tive ac­tions have al­ready been suc­cess­fully un­der­taken.’
    Mr Dobbs said the cause of the is­sue was iden­ti­fied as part of the Qual­ity Man­age­ment Sys­tem be­ing im­ple­mented on site. ‘In or­der to min­imise the in­ter­rup­tion to the over­all con­struc­tion pro­gramme, a new in­terim sup­port sys­tem was in­stalled.
    ‘This sys­tem will be re­placed by a per­ma­nent sys­tem be­fore the bridge opens. This process is a stan­dard so­lu­tion to an is­sue of this type and it will re­quire fur­ther ac­tions be­fore project com­ple­tion.’
    Mr Dobbs said some pub­lic com­ments on so­cial me­dia and else­where seem to be en­deav­our­ing to un­der­mine the qual­ity of work that has been car­ried out on this com­plex project.
    ‘As a con­se­quence, the in­tegrity of the men and women who have ded­i­cated their time and ex­per­tise to de­liv­er­ing one of the most unique bridge struc­tures in Ire­land and Europe is be­ing un­der­mined un­fairly. This project is com­plex and has chal­lenges, but the men and women work­ing on this project take their re­spon­si­bil­i­ties se­ri­ously and will be proud to be as­so­ci­ated with this bridge when it opens.
    ‘As pre­vi­ously noted, non-con­for­mances of this na­ture are not un­typ­i­cal on a con­crete struc­ture of this scale and com­plex­ity, and all as­pects of the works are sub­ject to a thor­ough in­spec­tion, test­ing and cer­ti­fi­ca­tion regime to en­sure that any such non-con­for­mances are iden­ti­fied and cor­rected so there is no im­pact on the qual­ity of the end prod­uct or de­liv­ery, as was the case in this in­stance.’
    As Ire­land’s long­est bridge, the con­struc­tion of the Rose Fitzger­ald Kennedy has cap­tured the pub­lic’s imag­i­na­tion and this is re­flected in the sig­nif­i­cant in­ter­est and com­ment gen­er­ated on so­cial me­dia, Mr Dobbs added.
    ‘At dif­fer­ent stages spec­u­la­tion and com­ment has arisen about dif­fer­ent as­pects of the con­struc­tion; sup­port piers sink­ing, decks not meet­ing in the mid­dle, piers be­ing de­mol­ished, in­cor­rect con­crete mixes be­ing used etc. Such spec­u­la­tion has proven to be in­ac­cu­rate and un­sub­stan­ti­ated. Open pub­lic de­bate is to be wel­comed on ma­jor pub­lic in­fra­struc­ture projects, par­tic­u­larly for such an iconic and record-break­ing struc­ture. How­ever, in or­der to as­suage gen­uine con­cerns that may arise from such de­bate, it is im­por­tant that ac­cu­rate in­for­ma­tion is pro­vided to the pub­lic. The project web­site www.n25newross.ie pro­vides a con­sid­er­able amount of in­for­ma­tion and up­dates on the project and also in­cludes an ar­ti­cle on the cor­rec­tive mea­sures un­der­taken to the con­crete down stand. Project up­dates have also been dis­sem­i­nated by quar­terly news­let­ters and pub­lic talks.’
    Mr Dobbs said the project rep­re­sents a very sig­nif­i­cant in­vest­ment in the south east re­gion, of the or­der of €230 mil­lion, and will gen­er­ate sig­nif­i­cant ben­e­fits to the re­gion par­tic­u­larly in terms of shorter and safer jour­neys for road users and im­proved ac­ces­si­bil­ity for New Ross and the wider re­gion.
    ‘The project stake­hold­ers are work­ing to­gether to en­sure that the project is com­pleted safely and opened at the ear­li­est op­por­tu­nity to re­alise the ben­e­fits that the project will bring to New Ross and the coun­try.’”

Exactly, that's what inspections are for, I can't wait for it to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

Last Saturday in indifferent weather I drove down from Kildare to have a look at the bridge myself.
    Guided by published photos I first headed for the little road along the West bank which passes under the highest point of the bridge. A truly remarkable and elegant structure indeed it is and all praise to the designers, builders and everybody involved in its construction.

For good measure I sussed out the Enniscorthy bypass, both arms and a goodly bit of new M11 down to Oilgate also. Great infrastructure improvements already there and shortly to come.

Tom K.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Kirbstone wrote: »
    Last Saturday in indifferent weather I drove down from Kildare to have a look at the bridge myself.
    Guided by published photos I first headed for the little road along the West bank which passes under the highest point of the bridge. A truly remarkable and elegant structure indeed it is and all praise to the designers, builders and everybody involved in its construction.

Tom K.

That little road you refer to was, not all that long ago (early 1990's), the main road between New Ross and Waterford.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    That little road you refer to was, not all that long ago (early 1990's), the main road between New Ross and Waterford.

It was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cycled along it to school from the age of 8.
    Was always interesting when an artic tried to squeeze by.
    Different times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which is why it seems mad it’s already obsolete. The old road looked like w nightmare! Love hearing stories of roads like this that were once main roads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Or to put it another way, the main route between Cork/Limerick/Waterford and Rosslare. Mad when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makowski

Anyone else notice the new 60km/h signs on the Waterford side of Glenmore roundabout.

A little concerned of the distance away from the roundabout, and were it will end.

When this section during the road works special limit order was issued from glenmore overpass to glenmore turn off it was 800m to 1000m of a 60km Zone. It was detrimental to my mental health. 1 and half years doing 60 km a hour every day for that duration of people beeping and reacting angrily to me cause I stuck to the speed that was legally designated.

Now I find out it's back but permanent. I am worried, im this is going to make my life worse again but for the rest of my life.

You might joke or tell me to just speed but anyone with OCD might understand. It's not as simple as that.

Has anyone any insight into this road speed limit design? I thought it was to return to 100 km .

The barrow crossing 14/10/19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I love the look of the towers now the scaffolding has been removed.

I think they look very elegant and stylish - the way they taper a bit on the way down (or flare on the way up!) is so much nicer than a single-width tower.

(Maybe I'm odd..... but I think we will be looking at this bridge for a long time and it's great that there's a bit of style to it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I last went down that road last 10 years ago.

Hard to credit it was a national route within my adult lifetime.

The barrow crossing 15/10/19 (pic new ross standard )
    d3yEwlP.jpg

The barrow crossing 15/10/16 (pic fb)
    XOy4bU9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I remember the November opening date being mooted months ahead but I've heard nothing about an approx. opening date for it since the delay? Is it expected to be Jan or Feb or unknown?

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    I remember the November opening date being mooted months ahead but I've heard nothing about an approx. opening date for it since the delay? Is it expected to be Jan or Feb or unknown?

The have 3 crews on site the are working 24/7 the are pushing for a 20/12/19 opening

Advertisement