Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wow! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

blindsider wrote: »
    I love the look of the towers now the scaffolding has been removed.

I think they look very elegant and stylish - the way they taper a bit on the way down (or flare on the way up!) is so much nicer than a single-width tower.

(Maybe I'm odd..... but I think we will be looking at this bridge for a long time and it's great that there's a bit of style to it!)

A lot of motorway viaducts in France have little signs stating the architect's name, or the bridges in a certain part have their own style.

The only think similar here is the steel arch bridges over the east bit of the M6

and the real half hearted streetlights at junctions on the western M6 at Balinasloe and Kiltullagh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A journalist with a local newspaper confirmed on twitter the the Engineers are saying December opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

m17 wrote: »
    The have 3 crews on site the are working 24/7 the are pushing for a 20/12/19 opening

A Christmas present to New Ross town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

There's a page about in the Wexford People group of Newspapers. It should be online in the next couple of days.

493125.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

New ross bypass September 19

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Exactly, that's what inspections are for, I can't wait for it to open.

for people complaining about a little crumbled concrete (now repaired)

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21207309-waterford-bridge-collapse/

The barrow crossing 21/10/19 (pics fb)
    LbcH0z3.jpg

XiNApX0.jpg

8SxdLcB.jpg

cpJcCLx.jpg

x63SIS5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Does the 2nd last pic show that there's still a gap from one end of the bridge to the road?

December opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

No doubt the engineers & builders have their reasons, but as that Western section of the bridge was the first part to have its deck built, the gap remaining between it and the approach road seems odd.

December completion? Hardly likely now.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, that's a very quick infill. They had a temp embankment ramp running onto the bridge deck to allow access for construction vehicles (It was never filled in fully). Have a look back at the pics in this thread. That's obviously now been removed to so that they can infill and lay the road on top. Something like that won't jeopardise a December opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lads, that's a very quick infill. They had a temp embankment ramp running onto the bridge deck to allow access for construction vehicles (It was never filled in fully). Have a look back at the pics in this thread. That's obviously now been removed to so that they can infill and lay the road on top. Something like that won't jeopardise a December opening.

Exactly, half a day of McGuire's trucks would fill that in, please God in heaven let it open soon, got stuck 2 cars back behind a Toyota Aygo that was going so slowly I could almost read the make of tyres when I finally got to pass it. From Corcoran's roundabout to Ross has to be the worst road in the country I hate it with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

About time they filled that bit in. It's been irrationally annoying me for ages :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

CoBo55 wrote: »
    ......that was going so slowly I could almost read the make of tyres when I finally got to pass it.

spluttered my coffee when I read that. We have all been there.

Brilliant.

The barrow crossing 21/10/19 (pics fb)

First picture of the bridge through the gorse bushes is fantastic.

Thanks for all your posts.

the barrow crossing 23/10/19 (pic fb)
    0zyWwZM.jpg

One of the temporary pillers coming down btw thanks for all the great comments over the past three years hope you have all enjoyed the pics and updates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

the barrow crossing 23/10/19 (pic fb)
    0zyWwZM.jpg

One of the temporary pillers coming down btw thanks for all the great comments over the past three years hope you have all enjoyed the pics and updates

The old road is open again, last time I went down I had to turn around at the bridge, grumpy security jobsworth was snarling at me I couldn't even get a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A great feat of engineering and it looks amazing.

Thanks for all the pix and updates. Hope it gets some nationwide publicity.

Great to see some good news re big infrastructural projects such as this. I know it was not without its issues and problems, but that is what engineers and the like are for, and it was sorted fine in the end.

No offence to RFK but I will always know it as the Barrow Bridge.

Take a bow all involved and posters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks CM!

I will drive that route 5 more times this year - hoping the last 1 will be over the bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Will they give it a bit of a cleaning before they open it? The concrete looks quite grimy in m17's picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

This is one of the big problems with concrete. Just look at the concrete central reservation barriers on the motorways - dark grey and 'orrible already as a result of oxidation.

There's no way they are going to sandblast the bridge or the central reservations any time soon. I'd imagine the application of a sealant or protective coating purely on aesthetic grounds would be considered too expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

From the flyover at Ballylane East.

skodacb wrote: »
    From the flyover at Ballylane East.

Good picture.

What is is blue road sign in the centre foreground ? I can’t make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Good picture.

What is is blue road sign in the centre foreground ? I can’t make it out.

I think it's a sign for the emergency layby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Should that be blue, considering its not a motorway? Did someone f-up or is this some sort of allowed exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone a local? Curious to know how sentiment is split between taking away the traffic vs. fall off in trade for businesses on the old route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JohnC. wrote: »
    Should that be blue, considering its not a motorway? Did someone f-up or is this some sort of allowed exception?

A layby is marked by a blue P on any class of road - I assume this is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

sdanseo wrote: »
    Anyone a local? Curious to know how sentiment is split between taking away the traffic vs. fall off in trade for businesses on the old route.

Local people are very much looking forward to the opening but local businesses are nervous. Overwhelmingly it's positive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭josip

There wouldn't be many of the businesses that would fret in my opinion.
    Entering the town from the Wexford side you've got Aldi and Lidl who you couldn't really consider local anyway.
    Mixed in with those you've got Sidneys and the Shelbourne. Sidneys might lose a bit, but only locals go to the Shelbourne anyway.
    Next up is the Dunbrody which might also suffer a bit.

For the remaining 240m of quay that isn't derelict: any tourist driving through is so concentrated on the 5 pedestrian crossings, 2 roundabouts, 5 exits and the general walking dead that they would rarely have seen a reason to stop.
    https://goo.gl/maps/FyWsnsukXkNEg77E6
    I hope the engineer who thought this was a good idea was put out to grass early.

By then you're on the bridge heading to greener pastures.
    The Gala petrol station will be hit hardest of all and finally there's Paddy Berry who probably won't see any drop in drum sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, what the hell are all those pedestrian crossings about? They are dangerous as hell.

Advertisement