Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm amazed that this crap comes up time and again re a bypass and how it affects local business.

Firstly, people who are forced to travel thorugh a bottleneck e.g. NR almost never stop there - they want to get THROUGH the town.

Secondly, this bypass has been flagged since at least 2007 (1st post on this thread) - anyone who cared could see that this was scheduled a long time ago. Plenty of time for a business to plan accordingly. Bypasses are there to prevent traffic congestion - and not the harbinger of all evil, taking business away from a town or village

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this crap comes up time and again re a bypass and how it affects local business.

Firstly, people who are forced to travel thorugh a bottleneck e.g. NR almost never stop there - they want to get THROUGH the town.

Secondly, this bypass has been flagged for more than 10 yrs - anyone who cared could see that this was scheduled a long time ago. Plenty of time for a business to plan accordingly. Bypasses are there to prevent traffic congestion - and not the harbinger of all evil, taking business away from a town or village

I completely agree. I asked the question because I'm not from the area and read about negative effects on businesses in or near Enniscorthy and was simply curious.

Greater good and all that.
    Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, what the hell are all those pedestrian crossings about? They are dangerous as hell.

Dangerous how exactly? They're well marked, could do with some advance signage but have the pelican lights. Much better than pedestrian traffic lights (a pet peeve of mine, they should be burned to the ground in 90% of current applications) which only serve to delay traffic through people pressing and not crossing or people crossing before they go red.

Even in America, king of the car, this type of non-signalised crossing is provided regularly and works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭josip

The problem with the pedestrian crossings is not their type, it's the quantity of them in a very short space of time, interspersed with roundabouts and other exits/entrances.
    There are simply too many things for motorists to be paying attention to, even at 30 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 28/10/19 they have started tarmac on the bridge (pic fb)
    uMlpAnx.jpg

Unfortunately I now always think of Richard Keys when I hear 'tarmac' :(

Will the top surface on the bridge be the same as for the rest of the bypass or does it differ to handle the lower temperatures and potential icing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Temporary pillar half demolished today..

2e14o33.jpg

Great progress for just one bloke in a cherry picker

The barrow crossing 28/10/19 (pic fb)
    7xi8M1P.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

josip wrote: »
    Great progress for just one bloke in a cherry picker

Demolition is his speciality .. to quote Christy Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Demolition is his speciality .. to quote Christy Moore.

Demolition-Man-1-758x455.jpg

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 29/10/19 (pic fb)
    LsEZL4W.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Not the best weather today.

Digging out the pond on the new ross bypass 30/10/19

m17 wrote: »
    Digging out the pond on the new ross bypass 30/10/19

Great vid.

"I love work, I could sit and watch it all day"

the barrow crossing weatherproofing is now complete 29/10/19 (pic fb)
    7875WsP.jpg

the barrow crossing 28/10/19 (pics fb)
    ONWHTEq.jpg

HXHgGpt.jpg

1qIi3Zp.jpg

yysGgMx.jpg

The barrow crossing 28/10/19
    1DurYdp.jpg

The barrow crossing 03/11/19 (pic fb)
    cs8c7d7.jpg
    70 tonne liebhan hymac moving to the stokes town side to demolish the second temporary piller

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The barrow crossing 04/11/19 (pic fb)
    YG86vQ4.jpg

iuOfm80.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Why didn't they just dig at the base of it and let it fall rather than picking away at it for weeks? Surely much easier to disassemble on the ground.
    Seems a bit of an awkward method.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sdanseo wrote: »
    Why didn't they just dig at the base of it and let it fall rather than picking away at it for weeks? Surely much easier to disassemble on the ground.

Crush risk for starters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why did they not make the temporary structures of steel, so they could be disassembled and reused?

If they just let them fall, they still have a large lump of reinforced concrete to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Some locals are worried about crumbling concrete , with some asking will it be safe to cross . Also a report that one of the cable stays snapped .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Some locals are worried about crumbling concrete , with some asking will it be safe to cross . Also a report that one of the cable stays snapped .

I don't care, it can a bloody rope bridge from deadliest roads but I'm all over it, plunging into the murky depths of the Barrow has to be better than crawling behind yet another Aygo!!!!

I think that says more about the locals than the concrete.
    And there wouldn't be many more localler than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's been massive cranes on it weighing god knows how many tonnes. Before the sides were even joined. I'm sure the local's Corollas and Qashqais will be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Might fall the wrong way.

The barrow crossing 10/11/19 (pics fb)F7kWGpM.jpg

dF4Uy3C.jpg
    The second temporary piller coming down on the stokestown side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 04/11/19 (pic fb)
    YG86vQ4.jpg

Quoting this and including the truly awesome picture for the record. Really amazing picture. We are so fortunate to live in an age when photos like this are possible. M17 thanks as ever for gathering and posting these images and bringing this amazing project to life.

Advertisement