Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭prunudo

What an awful headline, a person has been injured and any thoughts of concern should be his/her safe recovery, not whether the road will be opened on time or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is that the first serious accident during construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

josip wrote: »
    Is that the first serious accident during construction?

A worker was killed, he was one of the tar laying crews I think he was on the traffic management end of it.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    A worker was killed, he was one of the tar laying crews I think he was on the traffic management end of it.

I think that was at Gaulstown which although nearby, wouldn't have been part of the bypass project.

josip wrote: »
    I think that was at Gaulstown which although nearby, wouldn't have been part of the bypass project.

I thought it was on the approach road to the bridge, nevertheless it was a terrible thing to happen. Things have sure moved on from years ago when it was almost expected that some lives would be lost on such a major project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

**(Updated 28th November 2019)
    Opening Day of the N25 Bypass Bridge
    In the last couple of weeks, photos were released showing the temporary support piers getting demolished. This is in preparation for the opening of the N25 Bypass Bridge. The opening is set for the 20th of December this year.
    https://visitnewross.ie/community/22523/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-ross-bypass-bridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is there any talk of the public being allowed to "walk" the bridge before it opens to traffic?

I would love to give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Response on Twitter from Wexford COCO from someone asking when it will be open:

"It's possibly just before Christmas.......but more likely just after......."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Any news on who’s going to perform the official opening? Brian Cody or Davy Fitz perhaps.

jelutong wrote: »
    Any news on who’s going to perform the official opening? Brian Cody or Davy Fitz perhaps.

Paul Galvin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Mick Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Me if they don't hurry up, I'll just drive through the barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Me if they don't hurry up, I'll just drive through the barriers

A decade ago the castledermot bypass was going to be delayed to give one last Christmas of traffic to a petrol station - enough people threatened to do that that they opened it on time instead.

And just as well as the country froze over New Year's and the bypass was critical to get anyone moving in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

L1011 wrote: »
    A decade ago the castledermot bypass was going to be delayed to give one last Christmas of traffic to a petrol station - enough people threatened to do that that they opened it on time instead.

And just as well as the country froze over New Year's and the bypass was critical to get anyone moving in that area

Remember a few months before in Autumn 2009 there was biblical flooding around Galway and the M6 Motorway was opened away ahead of schedule as the old roads were all under water. I remember reading something actually blaming the motorway itself for the flooding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

theguzman wrote: »
    Remember a few months before in Autumn 2009 there was biblical flooding around Galway and the M6 Motorway was opened away ahead of schedule as the old roads were all under water. I remember reading something actually blaming the motorway itself for the flooding.

It was - it affected the flow of the river Suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was - it affected the flow of the river Suck.

There are a huge amount of reasons for flooding along the Suck, the motorway has very little to do with it. The long term destruction of flood plains, hedges and industrial turf cutting are the real culprits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

KevRossi wrote: »
    There are a huge amount of reasons for flooding along the Suck, the motorway has very little to do with it. The long term destruction of flood plains, hedges and industrial turf cutting are the real culprits.

'Low lie the fields of Athenry' - very true, and subject to flooding - always was, but the M6 did increase it. I thought there was remedial work before it opened.

Can we leave this as it is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 02/12/19 (pic twitter)
    n5kBeWZ.jpg
    18 days to go before opening it would like thank everyone for all the pics and updates over the past 3 and a half years it flown buy safe driving all when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 02/12/19 (pic twitter)
    n5kBeWZ.jpg
    18 days to go before opening it would like thank everyone for all the pics and updates over the past 3 and a half years it flown buy safe driving all when it opens

Has the 20th been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jelutong wrote: »
    Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Mick Wallace

Should all be thrown off it :D:D

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Should all be thrown off it :D:D
    Hoping for a windy day... Not Davey though we'll keep him for another while:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Relhcstirt wrote:

As I posted previously, Wexford CoCo have said it's more likely to open after Christmas at this stage.

gman2k wrote: »
    As I posted previously, Wexford CoCo have said it's more likely to open after Christmas at this stage.

No matter, the Kilkenny lads will open it from their side on the 20th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    8WSCzvj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The language here is a but ambiguous. Date set for the 20th December is not the same as it’s definitely opening on the 20th. And who was this statement from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Local Travelling men will probably test it out before its officially open anyway, A sulky race over the bridge would actually be great.

Local Travelling men will probably test it out before its officially open anyway, A sulky race over the bridge would actually be great.

There were a couple of piebalds grazing the long acre on the old road on Monday morning. I doubt if they were sulky quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Bards

Opening has been pushed out to January 2020

Bards wrote: »

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Bards wrote: »

It seems to be true a link here to just published article. No surprised it has been delayed again. January 2020 ? for opening

https://kilkennynow.ie/a-bridge-too-far-irelands-longest-bridge-linking-kilkenny-to-wexford-will-not-open-this-year/

Advertisement