Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

m17 wrote: »
    Next stop listowel bypass

I don’t think the New Feale bridge will be in quite the same league !

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

M17 if you're looking for a new project to document would you consider the N5 in Mayo? If you're still out west much that is :)
    m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 11/01/20 (pic fb)
    zup9g3x.jpg
    Next stop listowel bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

With the news this morning:eek:, how likely is the New Ross bypass to open before Feb 8th?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

blindsider wrote: »
    With the news this morning:eek:, how likely is the New Ross bypass to open before Feb 8th?:D

That's what I call Just-In-Time delivery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Oh I'd say it's even more likely, sure won't all the local TDs want to don their hard hats and high viz jackets to cut the ribbon and get their mugs in the Standard or the KK People!

• Advertisement

....but will they invite Verona?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

....but will they invite Verona?

Nah, sure she'd just spend the whole ceremony blaming Irish Muslims or ISIS for the bridge being delayed. But more on topic, I hadn't thought of that effect of the election - good to know all the laws of politics now require the bridge to be open for traffic by February 8th! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Looking at the fantastic pics of this new bridge it makes me wonder what will happen when someone breaks down on it. I hope the police will monitor things and respond quickly. I don't recall seeing any emergency phones.
    The relatively low traffic density on the route should help I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

VR6 wrote: »
    Looking at the fantastic pics of this new bridge it makes me wonder what will happen when someone breaks down on it. I hope the police will monitor things and respond quickly. I don't recall seeing any emergency phones.

I would expect a high level of sightseers as it is such a photogenic structure.

Traffic cameras would cover the breakdowns I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 13/01/20
    565oPOd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^ Wow...

You are the new John Hinde, m17! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

VR6 wrote: »

Thank goodness it's a dual carriageway! But yes hopefully there is a company in New Ross who are going to be tasked with tow aways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 12/01/20 (pic LinkedIn )
    7F5iuxV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Do we actually have a date for opening yet or is it still just "the third week" or "before the election". I'm doing Dublin to Cork on Sun Jan 26th and if its open it'll be a case of Ikea - Enniscorthy - New Ross - Cork rather than the sensible way.

I'm doing Dublin to Cork on Sun Jan 26th and if its open it'll be a case of Ikea - Enniscorthy - New Ross - Cork rather than the sensible way.

I drove that route a couple of weeks ago for the first time in over a year and found it surprisingly pleasant. With the latest improvements at the southern end of the M11 and the eastern end of the N30 and the forthcoming opening of the New Ross bypass I can see myself using that route in the future. It may be a bit longer, but there is a lot less traffic and you avoid the awful N7 out of Dublin and the rubbish sections in the middle of the M8.

(clarifying that it was IKEA Carrickmines in my case)

I agree Hibernicis.

You'd be on the Waterford Bypass before you know it, and 20 mins from Dungarvan. 1 hr to Cork city from there.

Roll on the opening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Don't do it lads, from the Enniscorthy roundabout on the N30 to Corcoran's cross is still an absolute nightmare, was on the now hated N30 today and it's enough to drive you completely insane, there was a queue of at least 30 cars stuck behind some dimwit in a Yaris doing 45 km/h. I'm strongly considering going through Wellington bridge and taking the ferry across its become that frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Bards

I'm hearing Wednesday 29th for official opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

N30 is a lottery, plenty of local farm traffic if you catch a tractor and trailer at the wrong point you'll need a touch of zen but there are some good straights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

In fairness, when the new road opens, if you're doing Bray->Enniscorthy->New Ross->Cork, you'll only be on the old N30 stretch for about 20km.

And if you're stuck behind someone tootlin' along in their Yaris @ 60km/h versus travelling at 100km/h it's only eight minutes - and it won't happen all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

New Ross was always a Fianna Fáil stronghold so shouldn’t be too significant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I often drive down to the Clonmel area from Bray at the weekend and am looking forward to trying out this route. Like Hibernicis I loathe the M50 and the parts of the M7/N7 closer to Dublin especially when returning back on a Sunday evening.

What's the N24 from Waterford to Clonmel like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭eagerv

Alun wrote: »
    I often drive down to the Clonmel area from Bray at the weekend and am looking forward to trying out this route.

Even now, before the bridge opens, I was surprised that Google Maps is showing the M11 route to Bray via New Ross being 2 mins quicker than using the M9.

Not at 6pm though..!

eagerv wrote: »
    Even now, before the bridge opens, I was surprised that Google Maps is showing the M11 route to Bray via New Ross being 2 mins quicker than using the M9.

It’s very interesting. I ran exactly that at 15:30 and the M11 route was 13mins slower. Just ran it now and the M11 route is 10 mins faster. Big thick red line where the M50 should be and a hell of a lot of orange between Dublin and Naas is the difference. It shows one of the things I most dislike about the M50/N7 - when it goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

Rose Kennedy will knock another 10mins (at a minimum) off this when she opens for business.

It’s horses for courses, but I can certainly see myself using the route on some occasions.

Alun wrote: »

What's the N24 from Waterford to Clonmel like?

Pretty OK. Very possible to maintain a good average speed though slow through a few villages but that’s just speed limits. A few decent straight stretches and a few passing places. I’d give it a 6-7 out of 10. And its a hell of a lot better than the other end of the N24 (Cahir to Limerick) which is a boreen by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Thank you very much Alentejo.

Mid week is great (for me)

What are peoples views? Attend on the 29th or is that a waste of time ? Better to turn up on the 30th when its actually open and you can drive back and forth ? What would be the best time ? Will be open at dawn ?

I am really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'm waiting until someone on here drives across with dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I've been driving between Wexford and Waterford back and forth daily for 20 years. Never thought this day would come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Opening at 3.30pm apparently...

Advertisement