Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Andrew33 wrote: »
    He’d go to the opening of an envelope if he thought he’d get media coverage.

it's a major piece of infrastructure and the longest road bridge ever built here. Of course the Taoiseach will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Some further shots from Sunday

1. The starting line. The west bound layby can be seen on the left (where the portaloos are). There is a corresponding layby on the eastbound carriage way.
    jh6EUQ4.jpg

2. Below the starting line, shortly before the ascent to the bridge. ptwTuTs.jpg

3. The bridge from the start of the ascent on the Wexford side. yXBaqsu.jpg

4. The nameplate, heading East
    9WpjCMr.jpg

5. The fall in the bridge is very clear from this point.665BN1a.jpg

6. A last look back at the bridge under a blue skyYdNWOgT.jpg

He is the Taoiseach. It’s entirely appropriate. And anyway, it’s a tradition apparently

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112130131&postcount=2165

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0129/1111647-n25-bypass/

N25 bypass with Ireland's longest bridge opens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 21/01/20 (pic twitter )
    0rpmXI8.jpg
    24 hours 3mins 33 secs to opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the plan for the access to the pillar in the river?

SAFNPm1.png

Will the track be left in place?

In which case I'd expect it to silt up around it fairly quickly.

Or will it be removed so that currents will revert to what they were before?
    But if they ever need to access the pillar in future it will be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

And if he didn't go he'd be accused of "ignoring rural Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Kevtherev1 wrote: »

I think the wording is throwing people off. Today is the opening but tomorrow it is open to traffic. Seems to be causing confusion. RTE put up on their headline that it is open today while the article says it is open to traffic from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Kevtherev1 wrote: »

Just to further confuse things.
    I passed by the Kilkenny side of the bypass at 1 o'clock and there's concrete blocks blocking on one side of the road and there's a telescopic loader blocking the other side with the driver in the cab with his feet up waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just saw a thread in the main Infrastructure forum complaining that the bridge doesn't have footpaths...........

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

I do think new roads should make provision for walking and cycling. E.g the M20 should have a separate cycle track alongside the motorway (segregated).

Just saw a thread in the main Infrastructure forum complaining that the bridge doesn't have footpaths...........

Idiots.

Also i bet plenty of people will drive slowly over the bridge just so they can have a gawk at the views...could be dangerous at times. Some people are stupid.

I was up on it Saturday evening and it was cool and ill hopefully be driving over it tomorrow evening. Thank god its finally open i just hope it isnt full of slow driving idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

alta stare wrote: »

Thank god its finally open i just hope it isnt full of slow driving idiots.

I'll be on it tomorrow at 12:01.

Keep a watch out for me...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

alentejo wrote: »
    I do think new roads should make provision for walking and cycling. E.g the M20 should have a separate cycle track alongside the motorway (segregated).

we need more cross country cycle routes true, but no one wants to cycle beside a motorway, it's noisy and polluted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

alentejo wrote: »

It would be a better idea to provide cycling and pedestrian facilities on the old road. People don't live, work or shop on motorways, and there are no trip generators on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are cyclists and pedestrians prohibited from crossing the bridge?
    There's a difference between not being facilitated and it being illegal.
    I've checked photos from the walk and the only signs I can see are the windsock signs.
    Maybe the signs are further away before the points of no return?

josip wrote: »
    I've checked photos from the walk and the only signs I can see are the windsock signs.

I was looking out for these and didn’t see anything. Unless there are some on the approaches to the roundabouts.

I’ll keep an eye out tomorrow when I’m taking my first drive across ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Even if they are prohibited, it won't stop some from crossing it anyways as we see from cyclists regularly using motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Even if they are prohibited, it won't stop some from crossing it anyways as we see from cyclists regularly using motorways.

Are there many examples of Non-Motorway roads in Ireland with a prohibition on non motorised vehicles? Thought it required a Motorway order (and corresponding provision of an alternative route)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder will it eventually be called RFK bridge or just New Ross bypass. Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy bridge seems too much of a mouthful...

I don't think I've ever heard the M1 Boyne bridge bypassing Drogheda referred to its official name Mary McAleese bridge.

Pretty sure the Waterford bypass bridge does not allow cyclists or pedestrians but that could be down to it being a toil road but at the same time id be surprised if it were allowed on the New Ross bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

On other 2+2 dual carriageways recently built there are no hard shoulders. These roads are not motorways and have, to my knowledge no ban on cycles, tractors &c.

I believe the bridge section to be such a road, but way in the future as in lots of tight places on the Continent it could be upgraded to motorway status as part of a continuous road from Cork/Waterford to Wexford....the M25 ?....with just that short 885 meters without hard shoulders.

Tom K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

With the lay bys close to the Bridge I would imagine there will possibly be walking sightseers.

Are there many examples of Non-Motorway roads in Ireland with a prohibition on non motorised vehicles? Thought it required a Motorway order (and corresponding provision of an alternative route)

Just checked the Waterford bypass and yeah there is a sign saying no animals pedestrians or cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Open @ 1 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Jack Lynch Tunnel also (N40)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 26/01/20
    649jLD8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Jack lynch tunnel is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

omicron wrote: »
    Jack lynch tunnel is the same.

A12 Westlink in Belfast and the N25 Waterford Bypass.

Advertisement