Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

I read during the week that the Americans have now put 5 kiloton warheads on their tactical nukes to make them more 'tactical' and less 'nuke'.
    That seems about right for the job and means they could do some urban renovation to the town without doing any structural damage to the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Andrew33 wrote:
    Have you a link regarding Nolan closure as they’re still advertising for various staff.

Nolan the newsagents is closing down. Nolan transport will probably gain in strength with the bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Nolan the newsagents is closing down. Nolan transport will probably gain in strength with the bypass.
    Ah no! The little newsagents on the main st?
    I deliberately go there to buy my car mag.
    Fk tesco anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

eagerv wrote: »
    mJz1QTRl.jpg

By the way, we've got the road mapped and available in Waze since noon today :)

54kKWIA.png

It's a much more efficient bypass for traffic from Waterford than the Enniscorthy bypass where you come back on yourself quite a bit.
    HGVs heading towards Enniscorthy must really love it now they no longer have to go up by the Bosheen.
    I'll have to get in touch with your satnav provider about their spelling...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I drove down from Waterford tonight for a look and it really is a fantastic piece of infrastructure,as it comes into view from the Wexford side its a thing of beauty!

This thread is over 13yrs old and today it finally opened,ive only been following it the last year or so checking in a couple of times a week and it only feels like yesterday we were waiting for them to join the sections in the middle,it felt surreal driving over it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

alta stare wrote: »
    The bypass will either make or kill New Ross. Amazing to see it empty of traffic at that hour though. Long overdue.

It died long ago, this can only help

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Having a roadblock on the bridge at peak times does nothing good for a town.

At least now those living nearby would be enticed by the idea of going to New Ross rather than being put off by the traffic. The pictures from this evening from the bridge show how easy it is to get into the town now.

Cork to Rosslare trucks blocking the town did nothing positive for the town. Having them gone is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The bypass certainly made a difference this morning. I got from Wex to WF in 45mins. Others have mentioned it on here about the sweeping view which comes into the landscape when traveling toward the bridge from the Wexford side and wow yeah it is amazing especially with the bridge lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

md79 wrote: »
    Bypass or not Ross is dead as a doornail anyway. Nolans and O'Donnells being the latest longstanding businesses to announce closure this month.

Absolutely depressing, but sure we have a grand big shiny new bridge we can all drive our motor cars across now. Beep beep!

New Ross's problems don't stem from the opening of the bridge though. From my limited knowledge of the place, it was the Tesco opening up at the top of the hill that undermined the town centre.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but taking the traffic out is the best thing that could happen. Cars passing through is not a business model for anyone except a petrol station or roadside diner. There's a huge opportunity to make the town more attractive, and there's loads of potential, with the lovely riverside location and narrow streets. You've a head start with the Dunbrody and JFK that other towns would kill for. I think the future is there if the community grabs it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

fricatus wrote: »
    New Ross's problems don't stem from the opening of the bridge though. From my limited knowledge of the place, it was the Tesco opening up at the top of the hill that undermined the town centre.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but taking the traffic out is the best thing that could happen. Cars passing through is not a business model for anyone except a petrol station or roadside diner. There's a huge opportunity to make the town more attractive, and there's loads of potential, with the lovely riverside location and narrow streets. You've a head start with the Dunbrody and JFK that other towns would kill for. I think the future is there if the community grabs it.

Both Athlone and Naas could be examples of what can be done when the major traffic congestion moves out of town, and locals are again allowed access to their town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Anecdotally, family living near Enniscorthy say that the M11 extension has already given a boost to businesses in the town. No more fears of congestion deterring people from the hinterland from travelling into the town.

Conversely, I've heard that the few small shops in Ferns are really struggling due to the loss of passing trade.

I'd imagine there's some level of critical mass for a town, where it's big enough to sustain itself then removing the passing traffic becomes a boon rather than a hindrance.

I can certainly see an argument that Ross will become more attractive to people from Glenmore or Clonroche if they need to pick up a few small bits, instead of going into Waterford or Enniscorthy. Whether business in the town can capitalise on this remains to be seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

It has been well proven in studies carried out in the UK that when Tesco move in to a town (creating 100 new jobs etc) there is s nett LOSS of jobs in the town of 10-15%.
    Also, the greatest lie ever sold to people is that supermarkets are cheaper than the high street shops.
    Tesco are a complete rip off with their constant price changes and pack size chicanery but people keep shopping there while moaning about their village dying.
    The devils shop. Absolutely hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Both Athlone and Naas could be examples of what can be done when the major traffic congestion moves out of town, and locals are again allowed access to their town.

Midleton, Fermoy, Arklow, Gorey, Newbridge, Clonmel, Dungarvan and many others all improved to various extents once they were bypassed. And New Ross has more going for it than most of these. Macroom is another town which could and will probably improve significantly once the bypass is in place.

But it’s not a panacea as there other factors in play. Sadly Youghal is still a desolate depressed town seventeen years after the bypass opened. And it is very difficult to see Tipperary town ever recovering, this being an extreme example the point that Fractus makes about the life blood being sucked out by the transfer of dominant commercial activity from the town centre to the outskirts. (Tesco, Dunnes and the Tipperary Town Plaza being the key factors in this case)

But back to the case in point. Let’s be happy for New Ross that it has been given a shot in the arm and an opportunity to recover and perhaps become a tourist hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Except Naas is an example of what happens when the shops follow the major traffic out to the interchanges. Town centre is dead, even the pubs aren't keeping business at this stage!

Planning should never have allowed this but the old Naas UDC / KCC planning split caused severe issues and obviously both wanted dev levies. Naas UDC boundary was a perfect circle distance from the Town Hall rather than any logical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does anyone have the new regional road number for the section of the old N30 ring road from the Wexford Road (nor R723) to the Enniscorthy Road (now R714)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Victor wrote: »
    Does anyone have the new regional road number for the section of the old N30 ring road from the Wexford Road (nor R723) to the Enniscorthy Road (now R714)?

The old N30 is signed as the R729 from the Corcoran’s Cross roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

marno21 wrote: »
    The old N30 is signed as the R729 from the Corcoran’s Cross roundabout

Isn't part of it the R714?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Just drove down from Waterford to take a spin over the NRB and it's a wild ride when it's windy! Good Jesus you're high over the river with only a little low barrier stopping you flipping over the side if a big gust catches your car/van/truck!
    Kept visualising that bridge in Korea collapsing into the bay as I was driving back over from the Wexford side!:pac:
    Fantastic feat of engineering, including all the work up to the N30 Enniscorthy road. Well done all responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

L1011 wrote: »
    Except Naas is an example of what happens when the shops follow the major traffic out to the interchanges. Town centre is dead, even the pubs aren't keeping business at this stage!

Planning should never have allowed this but the old Naas UDC / KCC planning split caused severe issues and obviously both wanted dev levies. Naas UDC boundary was a perfect circle distance from the Town Hall rather than any logical one.

Nothing in Naas unfortunately compared to Newbridge or Dublin. And anything that is there is around the massive Tesco. New Dunnes lately might help a bit with footfall

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New Ross has struggled for decades with unemployment (one of the worse black spots). The bypass can only help the town as very little traffic was stopping

Had a spin on the new road today, have to say BAM have done a superb job on both this and the Enniscorthy bypasses. The difference in the new road vs the old road in both cases is incredible, especially the New Ross road

It’ll be a very quick spin from Kilmeaden to New Ross east when the section between is complete

The Cork-Wexford journey is just over 2 hours now which is nice, most of the road is quite good single carriageway.

Removing Dungarvan from the route would be fantastic if it were prioritised, which unfortunately it won’t be

marno21 wrote: »
    Had a spin on the new road today, have to say BAM have done a superb job on both this and the Enniscorthy bypasses. The difference in the new road vs the old road in both cases is incredible, especially the New Ross road

It’ll be a very quick spin from Kilmeaden to New Ross east when the section between is complete

The Cork-Wexford journey is just over 2 hours now which is nice, most of the road is quite good single carriageway.

Removing Dungarvan from the route would be fantastic if it were prioritised, which unfortunately it won’t be

Is the Waterford and New Ross bypass link up looking likely? Iv read it could be completed by 2024??

alta stare wrote: »
    Is the Waterford and New Ross bypass link up looking likely? Iv read it could be completed by 2024??

It's not just looking likely, it's entered the pipeline.
    Can't remember what the correct name of the phase is.

https://n25waterford2glenmore.ie/en/project-phases.html

josip wrote: »

It's the N25 Waterford-Glenmore scheme. 9km or so of dual carriageway. It should start construction around 2024.

The 6km or so between the Rhu Glenn and the tractor garage would be the main reason to upgrade it. The WS2 between the tractor garage and the New Ross bypass is monstrously wide single carriageway, but it has the issue of meeting the bypass roundabout at a 90 degree angle making grade separation difficult.

They could always have the mainline carry on to New Ross and exit for the bypass.

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't part of it the R714?
    Here's the statutory instrument

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/577/made/en/print

I had a look today and the signage from the N30 roundabout is R729. However, from the SI, it appears that the old N30 between the R700 and the N30 is now the R714.

josip wrote: »

Ah yes thanks. Yeah i remember where i read it. It was something i was looking at regarding Atkins. The linking of both bypasses would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 31/01/20 (pic fb)
    GRwYlQ7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 31/01/20 (pic fb)
    GRwYlQ7.jpg

@M17 no chance you could do any occasional photo-documentation of the two big northwestern schemes at the moment - Westport-Castlebar bypass and Colloney-Castlebaldwin upgrades? Or even the recently started Macroom bypass?

Advertisement