Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then what's it like this weekend? Full of rubbernecking? I think I'll wait until midweek before taking a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

So then what's it like this weekend? Full of rubbernecking? I think I'll wait until midweek before taking a spin.

It's fine, no problems at all to see it this weekend. It's well able to handle the traffic.

What is noticeable is the high amount of traffic still on the approach road to New Ross from Wexford. Mostly local traffic I suppose but still surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

No sign of google maps updating, anybody know how long it usually take for them to pick up on road openings?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

sideswipe wrote: »
    No sign of google maps updating, anybody know how long it usually take for them to pick up on road openings?

I think it was at least 4 days before they updated with the Enniscorthy bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

josip wrote: »
    I think it was at least 4 days before they updated with the Enniscorthy bypass.

Even at that, they still have the old N11 showing..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Even at that, they still have the old N11 showing..

They still have the N11 showing between Arklow and Rathnew even though it became the R772 in July 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Iv just come back across it and it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

As you head down Glenmore hill from Waterford towards the Glenmore roundabout there is speed limit signs 100kmh.
    As you head down the N25 from New Ross , towards the Glenmore roundabout, there is speed limit signs 80kmh.
    No further speed limit signs as you join the bypass heading towards the bridge.
    So which is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 01/02/20
    NjxvMUE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Just back from a nighttime drive to see it lit up. Looked good enough from the Kilkenny side, but coming back from the Wexford side, when it comes into view you don't really see the Pink Rock in the darkness and it just looks like the lights are arcing into the darkness of the sky. Looks like it's going deceptively high. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My dashcam footage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The bridge looks like three ships.

I'm not sure if it was part of the plan but three ships used to be on the Wexford and Waterford motif's.

ISxDKZO.jpg

W2TLMEX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

these are getting better and better. I have driven across it, ,, awesome

swoofer wrote: »
    these are getting better and better. I have driven across it, ,, awesome

It's the best 95 million this island as ever spent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

m17 wrote: »
    It's the best 95 million this island as ever spent

If only we had the Glenmore to Waterford part done...oh and a new DC/Motorway to Wexford. Imagine a journey of about half an hour between WF and Wex. Pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took a spin on the new road over the weekend,a lot of people parked up at either side of the bridge getting photos.
    The bridge itself is not quite level as you drive across it with slight dips in it.
    It's gas how people automatically slow down when crossing it,I did it myself just to take in the view.:)

Lots of 'trippers' as the Famous Five would call them, around yesterday. :)
    If anyone is going in the night time for a gawk, it's worth going
    https://goo.gl/maps/AA1VDUjhRQv4AVBc7
    to watch for a while.

You'll be far enough back to see the lights of the vehicles going across.
    Maybe it's because I'm from the area and the bridge and traffic at that location is alien to me, but it's very surreal to watch these dots of light traversing the river so far above the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The bridge itself is not quite level as you drive across it with slight dips in it.

It's up and down like a wh*res knickers.

There was a 400mm height differential when the longest spans met so they jemmied them together with a 10 metre rsj, poured the last bit of concrete and hoped for the best.

A truly Irish solution to an Irish problem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's up and down like a wh*res knickers.

There was a 400mm height differential when the longest spans met so they jemmied them together with a 10 metre rsj, poured the last bit of concrete and hoped for the best.

A truly Irish solution to an Irish problem!

No, it was the standard solution to an engineering problem seen all over the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, it was the standard solution to an engineering problem seen all over the world.

Is that the purpose of those towers and cables - to keep the bridge platform level? They are tensioned as needed to pull the platform as required.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is that the purpose of those towers and cables - to keep the bridge platform level? They are tensioned as needed to pull the platform as required.

It was mentioned at the time that after they had leveled the bridge and poured the final sections that they would then do the final tensioning on the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'm pretty sure the engineer said in the Engineering Channel documentary that they hadn't come across this problem before. If its a common problem, surely they could have planned and mitigated against it and avoided the bumps. I'm not knocking the overall project but it is a little rough around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm pretty sure the engineer said in the Engineering Channel documentary that they hadn't come across this problem before. If its a common problem, surely they could have planned and mitigated against it and avoided the bumps. I'm not knocking the overall project but it is a little rough around the edges.

It's a seriously noticeable dip between the first upright and second upright from the wexford side, looks almost unconvincing its safe.

I assume that was a mess up somewhere, that does not look right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah it's very noticeable on the Wexford side. Maybe it'll level out over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 realflash1982

Great to finally travel the new road and bridge today after 20 years of Wexford - Waterford commuting and a few years following this thread.

Looks fantastic in low light with the cable and deck lights on. I agree with another poster that it resembles three ships. Intended or not it looks the part! The road is super smooth.

With regards to it not being level, well it is impossible not to notice it . It won't bother motorists but it is very obvious from the Wexford approach given how it was meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is it noticeable with the naked eye or are the photos taken with zoomed lenses making it look worse than it really is.

• Advertisement

Advertisement