Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I'm pretty sure the engineer said in the Engineering Channel documentary that they hadn't come across this problem before. If its a common problem, surely they could have planned and mitigated against it and avoided the bumps. I'm not knocking the overall project but it is a little rough around the edges.
    A lot of what was said in that documentary was over dramatised.
    I’m surprised Doug MaClure didn’t do the narration.
    Two cable suspended spans almost 1/2 km long each meeting in the middle were never going to be at the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

prunudo wrote: »
    Is it noticeable with the naked eye or are the photos taken with zoomed lenses making it look worse than it really is.

Worse More noticeable in reality than in the photos.

Thankfully, from a side-on perspective it's not noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

josip wrote: »
    Worse More noticeable in reality than in the photos.

Thankfully, from a side-on perspective it's not noticeable

Sponsored by Tayto Park.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Two cable suspended spans almost 1/2 km long each meeting in the middle were never going to be at the same level.

Total bridge length is 887 m, longest span is 230 m so 2 cable suspended spans almost 115 metres long each would be a more accurate representation of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The central section of the Channel Tunnel is about 40km long and they got the tunnels within about 50mm of each other.

In the 6th century BC the Tunnel of Eupalinos (1,036 metres) was built to within milimetres of each other vertically.

It both of these examples, note that be two bores of each tunnel couldn't see each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Alun wrote: »

Looks like Here didn’t bother to renumber the old roads. Makes me a sad craft-mapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Chapter one of bridge building I'd have thought.

Total bridge length is 887 m, longest span is 230 m so 2 cable suspended spans almost 115 metres long each would be a more accurate representation of the facts.
    Thanks pedantic Pete. My point stands.
    Probably more of an issue if they didn’t align laterally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Just had a look at my map tracker and the old route from Waterford City to Wexford town via New Ross took me 1hr 25 mins.

With the route now over the new bridge it took 52 mins. That is a welcome difference. The morning times have been around 45mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it noticeable with the naked eye or are the photos taken with zoomed lenses making it look worse than it really is.

It’s completely noticeable, as you enter the bridge from Wexford on the deck it’s very noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And I’d be asking why they didn’t meet precisely

Andrew33 wrote:
    Thanks pedantic Pete. My point stands. Probably more of an issue if they didn’t align laterally.

No need to get personal. You overstated the spans to exaggerate a point. The documentary may have been over dramatised but the engineer said what he said, such a rudimentary repair seems unfortunate on a big budget well planned project. I'm sure it won't affect the stability or longevity of the bridge but it does take from a fantastic project.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

alta stare wrote: »
    Just had a look at my map tracker and the old route from Waterford City to Wexford town via New Ross took me 1hr 25 mins.

With the route now over the new bridge it took 52 mins. That is a welcome difference. The morning times have been around 45mins.

How on earth did it ever take 1h 25min to go such a short distance? Only 60 km.

No need to get personal. You overstated the spans to exaggerate a point. The documentary may have been over dramatised but the engineer said what he said, such a rudimentary repair seems unfortunate on a big budget well planned project. I'm sure it won't affect the stability or longevity of the bridge but it does take from a fantastic project.
    Ah would you stop, that stupid documentary made it look like the guys nipped down to Dunphys and got a few steel bars to help them line up the two sides.
    Look at a few other documentarys made in a similar vein by the same people.
    There’s always some near disaster averted by the quick thinking engineers.
    Total sensationalist bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

spacetweek wrote: »
    How on earth did it ever take 1h 25min to go such a short distance? Only 60 km.

Traffic in Waterford City then traffic build up coming into New Ross from the Waterford side hence why a bridge was badly needed. The traffic would be backed up quite a bit. Then when you would finally get through New Ross the traffic would still be slow moving given the volume of vehicles which got caught up in the back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I only saw the New Ross nightmare traffic once myself, last summer. Thankfully I was going the opposite direction so I didn't have to experience it, just see it. But it was backed up for about 2km from the bridge, with more joining the queue all the time.

I've worked with plenty who have had to commute through that though. So they're happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I used to travel Cork city to Wexford Town on a regular basis in the years before the Waterford Bypass and the Youghal Bypass opened. It was not unusual to allow three and a half hours for the journey, and a bit more if hitting Youghal, Waterford or New Ross at rush hour. Based on recent experiences, I think this will be somewhere close to two hours now. Which is a pretty decent improvement. And just as important, the journey time will be far more predictable. Only real issues remaining are Castlemartyr and Killeagh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I used to travel Cork city to Wexford Town on a regular basis in the years before the Waterford Bypass and the Youghal Bypass opened. It was not unusual to allow three and a half hours for the journey, and a bit more if hitting Youghal, Waterford or New Ross at rush hour. Based on recent experiences, I think this will be somewhere close to two hours now. Which is a pretty decent improvement. And just as important, the journey time will be far more predictable. Only real issues remaining are Castlemartyr and Killeagh.

Dungarvan is a problem too

I did the Maldron Hotel Roundabout to Wilton exit in 2h10 leaving Wexford at 3pm last Friday, with just a brief stop at Larkin’s Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

marno21 wrote: »
    Dungarvan is a problem too

It is but an order of magnitude or two below the others I mentioned. The existing "inner" bypass was well ahead of its time and eliminated N25 traffic from the square, the causeway etc. which were a dreadful bottleneck. And the outer stretch eliminated the crazy hairpins. If there were endless funds available the Dungarvan outer bypass would certainly merit attention, but it should take its place along with a lot of other sub-standard sections of the Waterford-Cork leg of the N25. (Lemybrien, Youghal Bridge, Garranbane to the Pike etc.). Alas, it is probably academic and the likelihood now is that the Westend leg of the N25 (Waterford to Cork) will see no further significant improvements whereas the Eastern leg will be brought to motorway standard, to interconnect with the M24 to Limerick and the M24/M8 to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ah would you stop, that stupid documentary made it look like the guys nipped down to Dunphys and got a few steel bars to help them line up the two sides.
    Look at a few other documentarys made in a similar vein by the same people.
    There’s always some near disaster averted by the quick thinking engineers.
    Total sensationalist bull****.

Its the way of tv and those Discovery programmes, make mundane every day jobs (for the people that do them) look way more exciting and dramatic than then they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Its the way of tv and those Discovery programmes, make mundane every day jobs (for the people that do them) look way more exciting and dramatic than then they really are.

It's like any episode I've ever seen of Room to Improve. There has to be a drama or conflict of some sort, and often it just looks very contrived and not believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dramatic music as lads lay re-bar "the concrete is delayed,this could have massive implications".
    2 minutes later the trucks roll onto site.
    Another crisis, "the local deli has run out of chicken fillet rolls". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went on it today from Waterford side as far as the N25 intersection and back as far as Slieverue. Great road, as mentioned the Wexford side is the one to "see" it from and with that in mind please do not ease off the loud pedal to admire the view as someone in front of me - there's a layby for that! That huge zone on barrier side of the eastbound lanes just after the bridge looks a bit odd - you could use as a car park it's so wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 04/02/20 (pic fb)
    gSnLqsd.jpg

The barrow crossing 03/02/20

A massive thanks to insta_mavic for all your unreal drone work over the last 3 and half years

The new Ross bypass 01/02/20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^^^ 5:35 is the money shot!

The barrow crossing 29/01/20
    e0Reg9J.jpg

K3AyxGC.jpg

d5xsDY0.jpg

UAyeIIp.jpg

xGDQG5n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

With potential strong winds forecast. I wonder if there's a procedure of closing off the bridge?
    Obviously there's no gates on the roundabouts either side of the bridge. So I presume it's council workers with trucks just pulled across the road?

Advertisement