Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

If it happens it won't be Council staff, it'll be the PPP concessionaire staff. Anyone else think that it's a bit short sighted not to have included some fixed VMS signs in advance of the roundabouts either end to give advance warning of bridge closure divert via etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

With potential strong winds forecast. I wonder if there's a procedure of closing off the bridge?
    Obviously there's no gates on the roundabouts either side of the bridge. So I presume it's council workers with trucks just pulled across the road?

Interesting thought alright. Im sure it would be ok driving across it in a car or van but an artic might be a bit hairy :D Id be surprised if they do close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Surely decision will be based on the Met Eireann type of warning at the time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Decoda wrote: »
    If it happens it won't be Council staff, it'll be the PPP concessionaire staff. Anyone else think that it's a bit short sighted not to have included some fixed VMS signs in advance of the roundabouts either end to give advance warning of bridge closure divert via etc?

There’s a foundation and ducting for a future VMS approaching the N25 Ballymacar roundabout from the bridge. No use in the event of a bridge closure though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely decision will be based on the Met Eireann type of warning at the time.
    That would be an indicator, but their wind speeds would be surface win speeds / at 10 metres above ground, not 36 metres above ground, where the wind would be much higher. I did notice some anemometers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 06/02/20
    fytUpRt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Used the bypass both ways yesterday for the first time.

It's very impressive, and it certainly saved me approx. 15 mins on my journey, each way.

I was surprised how steep the bridge is, and it thought it was a wee bit narrow, but overall it's excellent.

(I'm not sure I'd pass a HGV on a wet and windy night on the bridge....)

One other small point - the large green traffic signs look to be re-used. At night, you can see the previous text under the fresh coat of green paint - and, on a few signs the old text comes through so much that the signs are not easy to read. Anyone else notice this? I couldn't take any pics, and I don't have a dashcam....

Overall, a great addition to the road network!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

blindsider wrote: »
    Used the bypass both ways yesterday for the first time.

It's very impressive, and it certainly saved me approx. 15 mins on my journey, each way.

I was surprised how steep the bridge is, and it thought it was a wee bit narrow, but overall it's excellent.

(I'm not sure I'd pass a HGV on a wet and windy night on the bridge....)

One other small point - the large green traffic signs look to be re-used. At night, you can see the previous text under the fresh coat of green paint - and, on a few signs the old text comes through so much that the signs are not easy to read. Anyone else notice this? I couldn't take any pics, and I don't have a dashcam....

Overall, a great addition to the road network!

I wonder if they used green signs that they removed from HDQCs that became motorways a few years ago..?

(Probably not...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have used the bridge a few times now coming home from Dublin. The extra time spent is more than compensated by the thrill of crossing this magnificent structure. Getting philosophical, it is literally uplifting to see what man can achieve when resources and expertise are directed at a problem.

The only very minor quibbles are firstly the signpost at the first roundabout on the Wexford side which directs you to New Ross with no mention of Waterford or Cork. It’s meant to be the New Ross bypass so I can’t have been the only one who hesitated? Secondly, who was the genius in Wexford Co Council who scheduled road resurfacing around Clonrroche to coincide with a what must be a massive increase in the traffic? Some things never change.

Overall though a massive congrats to all involved in this signature project.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I have used the bridge a few times now coming home from Dublin. The extra time spent is more than compensated by the thrill of crossing this magnificent structure. Getting philosophical, it is literally uplifting to see what man can achieve when resources and expertise are directed at a problem.

The only very minor quibbles are firstly the signpost at the first roundabout on the Wexford side which directs you to New Ross with no mention of Waterford or Cork. It’s meant to be the New Ross bypass so I can’t have been the only one who hesitated? Secondly, who was the genius in Wexford Co Council who scheduled road resurfacing around Clonrroche to coincide with a what must be a massive increase in the traffic? Some things never change.

Overall though a massive congrats to all involved in this signature project.

The same genius who scheduled road resurfacing on the N11 at Oylegate just as the M11 extension opened. Pure genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 22/01/20
    zr4wt03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Has anybody driven the bridge in stormy conditions?
    Like right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Bridge is closed by BAM staff this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Wasn't closed yesterday afternoon when the winds were just as strong. Talking to someone who drove over it and said it wasn't too bad

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Bridge is closed by BAM staff this morning.
    Bloody ridiculous. They should have put wind baffles on it when it was being built.
    Can’t be closing a major national road every time the wind gets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Probably because Met Eireann issued a orange wind warning for today.

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Probably because Met Eireann issued a orange wind warning for today.
    Touch of sarcasm there?
    So, we should close every major bridge in the country every time the wind blows a bit hard?
    There was a time (many many years ago) that the west link (M50) bridge had to close because of high winds.
    They fitted baffles, problem solved.
    News flash, we’re a small island exposed to Atlantic westerlys. There are going to be windy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Bloody ridiculous. They should have put wind baffles on it when it was being built.

Agree. I hope they don't start doing this if it's windy in the mornings. The authorities are loosing the run of themselves with all these warnings which then filter down to stupid decisions like the closing of a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

They should just close it for high sided vehicles.

prunudo wrote: »
    They should just close it for high sided vehicles.

In the short term yes. That bridge is now the main link for traffic (including a lot of trucks) between Rosslare, Cork etc.
    It needs a permanent solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

They close bridges in plenty of other countries when the wind gets above a certain level. There will always be times when high sided vehicles need to be rerouted even with baffles or wind barriers. Better safe than sending a driver 50m down into the water.

prunudo wrote: »
    They close bridges in plenty of other countries when the wind gets above a certain level. There will always be times when high sided vehicles need to be rerouted even with baffles or wind barriers. Better safe than sending a driver 50m down into the water.
    Wonder was M50 bridge or Boyne bridge closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The AA says the bridge is now open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I drove on it yesterday when it was blowing hard, and it seemed fine for a car. Cannot comment on a high sided vehicle.

Only place I noticed a bit of buffeting was on the Kilkenny side when off the bridge. Just where there is a temporary lay-by when traveling towards Glenmore roundabout. It was far worse on the normal road at the top of Glenmore hill..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The AA says the bridge is now open again.

Wind has just veered westerly, seems as strong as when it was southerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

Let’s say that they are going to close the bridge every time we have an Orange or Red wind warning. How many of those do we get in a year?

serfboard wrote: »
    Let’s say that they are going to close the bridge every time we have an Orange or Red wind warning. How many of those do we get in a year?
    3 or 4 since December.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

3 or 4 since December.

How many were in affect nation wide though? Most that reach orange status only affect the West coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 realflash1982

New piece of infrastructure, very high wind warning in place, and old road quiet due to it being the weekend. Why take the risk?

Perhaps it is common practice that new bridges are closed and monitored during poor weather in their infancy to see how strong the gusts really are, especially at that height. I doubt any high sided truckers had any complaints.

Worth mentioning, the weather warning in Wexford was certainly merited. Massive gusts on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ann Cassin or Blousey One will be standing by a blowy bridge tonight from 7 PM.

Advertisement