Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

1899091929395»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's a programme on More 4 right now about the construction of this bridge.

New:Building Giants:Record Breaking Mega Bridge

Cheers for that.

It's absolutely class. I've only driven it a couple of times due to lockdown, but it's on my list of places to go once I'm released! On to the lovely Hook Head then with the flask and sambos. Roll on 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Bards

Well worth a watch, great insight. Few "engineers" on here thought it was a dramatised work of fiction but I enjoyed it.

It was weird how the narrator kept interchanging miles and kilometers

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Bards wrote:
    It was weird how the narrator kept interchanging miles and kilometers

I think the engineers on the job interchanged imperial and metric!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the engineers on the job interchanged imperial and metric!

Maybe that is why there is a kink in the middle.

I cannot wait till I can go and inspect it - later this month - if we all keep our distance, wash our hands, and mask up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Maybe that is why there is a kink in the middle.

I cannot wait till I can go and inspect it - later this month - if we all keep our distance, wash our hands, and mask up.

I may be a bit OCD or whatever but I really do hate that kink.....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Azatadine wrote: »
    I may be a bit OCD or whatever but I really do hate that kink.....

I do too, its not great ......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not OCD in the slightest.
    My understanding, and I'm open to correction, is that whoever is responsible for it, will be remembered for it for the rest of their careers.

Apparently the engineer responsible for the stretch of N30 along the old railway line from Ballyanne to the turn off for Watties back around 1990, found it very hard to get work again.
    People might remember how the road was uneven at both old railway bridge crossings.
    That was his legacy for almost 40 years until they eventually sorted it out recently.

[Ed] Corrected N81 to N30

No, it was the standard solution to an engineering problem seen all over the world.

The hump was all part of plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The hump was all part of plan.
    Did you seriously go back 9 months to find that post to quote? That's a bit sad.

Anyways the two sides of the deck being out of alignment and then being adjusted and brought in is, as I said at the time, quite normal. As was using the two giant girders to join them before the final pour.

But if you want to be a smartass, then work away.

• Advertisement

Did you seriously go back 9 months to find that post to quote? That's a bit sad.

I was sad at the time that you thought the gammy hump was acceptable. It still makes me sad to see that hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

josip wrote: »
    Apparently the engineer responsible for the stretch of N81 along the old railway line from Ballyanne to the turn off for Watties back around 1990, found it very hard to get work again.
    People might remember how the road was uneven at both old railway bridge crossings.
    That was his legacy for almost 40 years until they eventually sorted it out recently.

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Victor wrote: »
    Where is this?

About 3 or 4 miles outside New Ross. Towards Enniscorthy. I used to play handball in Ballyanne and regularly cycled under those railway bridges. Similar ones on the old road to Waterford.

Picked plenty strawberries in Watties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About 3 or 4 miles outside New Ross. Towards Enniscorthy. I used to play handball in Ballyanne and regularly cycled under those railway bridges. Similar ones on the old road to Waterford.

You mean the old N79 / N30, not the N81 then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Ah, you mean the N30, rather than the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The bridge won an award. I have no idea of these industry bodies or how much this one means. It’s the second in this page

https://iabse.org/About/Awards/OSTRA2021

Winner in ‘Bridge or Other Infrastructures’ category

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the Enniscorthy bypass only single carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm new to this thread and a complete luddite when it comes to what was involved in the construction of this bridge, but having diven over it I can't get my head around why there's a bit of a wave or kink in the flow of the bridge. Just seems off to me. Was there a specific structural of engineering reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The M11 bypass to the east of the town is motorway.

The N30 bypass which loops around the north and west of the town is a mix of 2+2 and single carriageway with some roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Most of the ring around the looks to be single carriageway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the bit that connects the M11 to the N80 is dual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Bugs me too.......no, it wasn't designed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Once upon a time there was one Skew Bridge in Glenmore now there’s two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭josip

I always knew it as "The Scow Bridge". Never knew it was because it was skewed.

Advertisement