Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 11 v Pro Evo

Options
  • 16-09-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Lads I downloaded both demos last night and overall I think PES was the better of the two. I feel EA sports reckoned they had no challange from Konami and just "dressed up" their game a little. Konami seem to have been busy this year and I will be buying PES for sure. I know they are only demos but well done konami.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

kakee wrote: »
    Lads I downloaded both demos last night and overall I think PES was the better of the two. I feel EA sports reckoned they had no challange from Konami and just "dressed up" their game a little. Konami seem to have been busy this year and I will be buying PES for sure. I know they are only demos but well done konami.

This is the only thing worth noting to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kakee wrote: »

I was going to download fifa later, but want to play a few more games of pro evo first. What's the latest fifa gimmick? Usually something to do with passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

lol dont make me laugh, pes is awful again, the shooting is terrible but the graphics are class i must imithe.

fifa is the better of the 2 again, not much change from last year but little is needed to beat pes these days but i was expecting more from fifa to be honest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

These threads appear every year and just turn into fanboy rants on which is better without any objective reasoning. If it turns into a game bashing thread then it will be locked, you have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

I too have played both and agree with OP's comments, will probably buy both this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pro Evo is actually ok this year.

Fifa is way better though still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i got completely and utterly fed up with Pro Evo's annoying glitches and problems this year, so much so I picked up a second hand copy of FIFA after being a die hard pro evo man since the SNES days of ISS.

Will download both demos, and my purchase this year will be decided on who has the better demo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Im just gonna buy both im rich HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Both for me too.

Pro Evo might not be as good as FIFA overall. But for some reason I like to switch to PES for multiplayer some times to get a different strategic game when FIFA gets stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

There's no doubt that PES has taken a step in the right direction this year but it's still a couple of steps behind FIFA and a couple more to REGAIN it's place as the best football game around.

PES6 was the last really good PES game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Neither. Fifa 11 feels very similar to last year albeit a little slower. Have bought every FIFA since 08 but can't be arsed this year, certainly not at full price anyway. Dunno why the new PES is getting any praise. Poor stuff again, although definitely an improvement of the rubbish they've put out in the past couple of years.

It would be nice to get a reason why one game is bad/good other than the usual PES or FIFA suks/rulez.
    I'd love to see PES online, that has been a real let down in past games and needs to be improved. They seem to drop features each year, it's so bad now it's almost funny. You can't even replay a game, so when you get a good connection and good game with someone you can't replay. Back to searching for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played both demos but FIFA moreso...

Couple of gripes with Pro Evo that hopefully people can resolve - is there a button to tell people to go on a run? Far too often, my players stand there sheepishly looking at me rather than bolting for (or creating) any sort of gap?

Secondly, I played the demo with a lower rated team and got a bit bored after 60mins. Wanted to give the game the benefit of the doubt so wanted to pick Barca / equivilent. However, instead of getting to the menu, I was treated to a massive promotional video which no amount of button bashing would skip. Any way to get past // is it like this even if you choose to replay?

FIFA is similar to last year but pace is toned down. I think there will be more emphasis on passing and maybe even skill moves (seems as the CPU is trying a few!). Passing is changed a little and easier to misplace passes so that should get rid of the ping-pong that people were talking about. Probably still possible but will take practice.

Handballs are a little sketchy (and off by default so look out for that). Can be a few in a match. Same with hitting woodwork it seems (and the sound there is a bit funny!). Scored some nice goals. Goalkeepers don't seem as crazy (give it time!).

New penalty system (I didn't play World Cup '10) is interesting. Going to take more practice but seems like a better system. New celebrations with team mates interacting could cut down on people taking the piss and running in circles for minutes (I hope!).

Preferring FIFA at the moment but would like to give PES another go...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've found that FIFA 11 is greatly improved over FIFA 10. I view the World Cup edition of FIFA as a lot closer to FIFA 11 than 10, the games are a lot more interesting and enjoyable.

The AI I've found in FIFA is roundly better than Pro Evo. Players making runs, opposition players being more creative in trying to get around/behind you, whereas in Pro Evo it seems that a lot of the AI players just stand around waiting for the ball and the opposition attacks are very similar.

The new(ish) penalty system in FIFA is brilliant, makes penalties more competitive and interesting. This year my mates and I play penalties whereas in FIFA 10 we just ended as a draw as the system was dull. The creation centre in FIFA is a great start to EA Sports finally allowing a lot more creativity, the likes of which excelled for Konami in previous iterations of Pro Evo.

Id like to give Pro Evo another chance as I really like the graphics as well as the presentation, but as for gameplay FIFA is just a lot more enjoyable and realistic, and if I had to make the call there's no way I could pick up Pro Evo over FIFA.

I played a good few games of each.
    I'm definitely putting PES ahead on gameplay. Maybe because I'm used to it? Passing is far better, the ball goes where you want. In FIFA it keeps going to the wrong player. Shooting in PES seems way harder, and you really have to build your moves. Not a problem because the passing is so good.
    One thing annoying about both games is the replay. PES have terrible angles when you score, you can't get a good view behind the ball. On FIFA it seems you have to watch your player complete his celebration. Considering the games will be high scoring, this would get really annoying.

Problem about pro evo will be master league online. Online play always uses default teams. Does this mean you'll be playing against weird team names and players you never heard of online?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

FIFA 11 is pretty much the same as FIFA 10.....has remained fairly stagnated....Pro Evo has changed a good bit from the last one.

FIFA should be just renamed FIFA X because thats all you seem to do is press X when someone has the ball and makes for a very boring experience after a while on Multiplayer. Ruins it for me.
    The Beach Ball shooting are still there too.
    Graphics and PResentationwife FIFA is brilliant.

With Pro Evo at least you feel in control of the ball.

PES for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

FIFA 11 is pretty much the same as FIFA 10.....has remained fairly stagnated....Pro Evo has changed a good bit from the last one.

FIFA should be just renamed FIFA X because thats all you seem to do is press X when someone has the ball and makes for a very boring experience after a while on Multiplayer. Ruins it for me.
    The Beach Ball shooting are still there too.
    Graphics and PResentationwife FIFA is brilliant.

With Pro Evo at least you feel in control of the ball.

PES for me this year.

Are you playing on the two-buttoned system??

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

pro evo demo is brillant,

the passing is unreal, this is the start of a new begining

Anyone who has a problem with the 5 minute promo after your demo game,
    switch on then off, simples
    Fifa demo gives you 2 mins:(, while pro evo ten:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I played a good few games of each.
    I'm definitely putting PES ahead on gameplay. Maybe because I'm used to it? Passing is far better, the ball goes where you want. In FIFA it keeps going to the wrong player. Shooting in PES seems way harder, and you really have to build your moves. Not a problem because the passing is so good.
    One thing annoying about both games is the replay. PES have terrible angles when you score, you can't get a good view behind the ball. On FIFA it seems you have to watch your player complete his celebration. Considering the games will be high scoring, this would get really annoying.

Problem about pro evo will be master league online. Online play always uses default teams. Does this mean you'll be playing against weird team names and players you never heard of online?

It must of been very easy last year so. I seem to score anytime I get within 25 yards. Some shots where it should be a belter just floats and still seems to go in.

If they fixed the terrible keeping and made the shooting a bit more realistic it would seriously challenge fifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Downloaded both demos, and leaning towards Pro Evo at the moment. Always been a fan, ever since the first games, something about FIFA just seems too polished and more focused on presentation. Admittedly PES has lost its way in the last while, and this has led me to buy a few FIFA's, however the demo seems to be a big improvement. PES just can't be beaten when on form, no matter how good you get your always likely to lose to any team on a bad day, I just don't get that unpredictability with FIFA.

I would like a couple of things to be ironed out before the proper released of PES though:

- The goalkeepers. The last few years they have been shocking, hoping on a massive improvement this time around (frankly can't believe they were getting it so wrong the last few years, surely they noticed?!). The demo at the moment hasn't given many clues, I have had one dodgy keeper moment but sure they happen to the best!

- Player movement, specifically when turning. It takes an age to turn sometimes, there is no quickness when it comes to receiving the ball facing your goal, and turning to make a run at the opposition. This has been a big problem over the years, and seems to be there in the demo again, hoping it will be sorted though

FIFA 11 looks lovely, and the gameplay is good, but I think the difference is every true PES fan knows that when they finally get it right, and hopefully its this year, it will be a far more rewarding experience than FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will have to wait for the finished game before making a decision but based on the two demos PES certainly has done the most improving. However given it was coming from such a low base that's not surprising. FIFA 10 was already a very good football game while 2010 FIFA World Cup was the best football game on the new generation of consoles IMO. It's much easier to improve on mediocrity rather than something that was already really good.

Are you playing on the two-buttoned system??

I am yeah....how did you guess?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Got to finally play the Fifa 11 demo. It seems a little harder to score using through-balls. You can see the personality+ when you play vs Ronaldo, but I couldn't care less about whether an AI does a few fancy tricks tbh. In-game graphics and presentation is very similar to 2010 (and to 2009). Controlling the gk is very hit and miss too.

I was hoping to see an improvement over 10 but to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Very very meh so far. Added to the fact that, boardsies aside, many FIFA players are complete and utter w@nkers online, and make random ranked matches unenjoyable alot of the time. Thats largely EA's fault because they continue to add a Quit option in the in-game menu options :rolleyes:

I'm hoping PES will provide something different because I cannot see myself getting Fifa 11. If not, I won't buy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Is there any reviews or comments on how the online with PES is this year (bar the beta).

Have they tested it accross servers with heavy loads?

I'll be holding off on any purchase of either game until the online questions have been answered. Been ripped off by Konami every year after PES 6 in relation to online, so I'm not falling into that trap this year.

My 2 cents, I'm finding the PES demo more fun to play than the FIFA one, as all my old PES tactics are useless now and I need to reinvent new methods of setting up chances (the time may come though when I smash the controller after a simple pass goes completely astray, which happens a lot at the moment:rolleyes:).

In saying that, FIFA has never let down with regards to online for me, so if all else fails, I'll head towards EA for my online footie fix.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After playing the FIFA 11 demo and not finding it all that great, I was looking forward to giving the PES demo a go.

Disappointing. Some rediculous AI. Based on this FIFA 11 looks the better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

What was last years PES like on xbox live? I've had every 360 version of the game prior to that and online play was brutally unreliable so I gave up on the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

think ill be buying pes this year :) after abandoning it after pes 6 . but i think main reason why is i overplayed fifa 10 and got bored of it and pes is improved alot so will be a breath of fresh air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

A mixed bag as usual from both developers.

I think FIFA is by far the superior game, even so it's still got some problems. The graphics aren't up to scratch, the player animation is ageing badly, and not being able to dribble in a soccer game is unforgivable.

As for Pro Evo, the presentation is, as usual, absolutely desperate. The crowd chants and menu's being the editor's pick. Obviously the game play is what it's all about, but if they can't spot the decade old elephant in the room, I'd have little confidence in them improving anything else.

Despite this, I will buy both of them, because as far as suckers go, I'm of a particular vintage.

I am having reservations about buying PES now that I hear the fact that the menus which I skip through quickly have been botched.

Someone somewhere else kept saying how the nets were not of a particular type either.....thats another question mark for me too.

Looks like the only thing PES have got right is the gameplay.

Worrying times for gamers....I'm tellin you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm a PES Fanboy. I loved the game, but I'm getting really fed up with Konami. Bought both last year, this year I'll only be buying one. Most likely FIFA again. :(

Advertisement