Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 11 v Pro Evo

Options
2»

Comments

Can't tell the difference between this years Fifa and last years. Downloaded PES and while not perfect, is seriously leaps ahead of fifa in terms of gameplay.

Having said that...i still can't decide which one i'll be getting. It will only be one so I must decide ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I am having reservations about buying PES now that I hear the fact that the menus which I skip through quickly have been botched.

Someone somewhere else kept saying how the nets were not of a particular type either.....thats another question mark for me too.

Looks like the only thing PES have got right is the gameplay.

Worrying times for gamers....I'm tellin you!

Sarcasm on a Sunday morning... Boards.ie never lets me down.

Considering this thread is titled FIFA 11 v Pro Evo, I think it's more than relevant to comment on a games presentation, considering how FIFA absolutely nails it. Year in, year out.

Pro Evo, whilst being somewhat better this year, still looks (menus) and sounds like an amateur production. The crowd chants are almost a parody of themselves, while the hi-octane menu system and music is like something out of Street Fighter. It looks like it was designed and executed with primary school children in mind. It's really poor. I think it says something of Konami that they continue to fail at the most basic level.

The gameplay is much improved over last year, and I find it particularly fresh after mainly playing FIFA in recent months. But I honestly don't see how you could say they got it right.

My major gripe with Pro Evo is the lack of a proper defensive game. Have you tried pressing with a second defender, whilst tracking the runner? Have you seen how artificial the back line is, and how they move in unison? Once again, really poor.

The AI is also not good enough. When I'm breaking up the right wing with Alves, I don't want Messi running toward me, ending up behind me, leaving me unsupported at the corner flag. Ridiculous, and once again, an area that FIFA has absolutely nailed.

If or when they get it right, it will be the superior game. For now though, it's another poor performance from Konami.

I will say one thing...the menus and words that Kanomi use are a joke. It's absolutely so confusing for a new player. Also, not a gripe as such, but the skills moves seem so difficult to perform in PES and are quite slow also.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Sarcasm on a Sunday morning... Boards.ie never lets me down.

Considering this thread is titled FIFA 11 v Pro Evo, I think it's more than relevant to comment on a games presentation, considering how FIFA absolutely nails it. Year in, year out.

Pro Evo, whilst being somewhat better this year, still looks (menus) and sounds like an amateur production. The crowd chants are almost a parody of themselves, while the hi-octane menu system and music is like something out of Street Fighter. It looks like it was designed and executed with primary school children in mind. It's really poor. I think it says something of Konami that they continue to fail at the most basic level.

The gameplay is much improved over last year, and I find it particularly fresh after mainly playing FIFA in recent months. But I honestly don't see how you could say they got it right.

My major gripe with Pro Evo is the lack of a proper defensive game. Have you tried pressing with a second defender, whilst tracking the runner? Have you seen how artificial the back line is, and how they move in unison? Once again, really poor.

The AI is also not good enough. When I'm breaking up the right wing with Alves, I don't want Messi running toward me, ending up behind me, leaving me unsupported at the corner flag. Ridiculous, and once again, an area that FIFA has absolutely nailed.

If or when they get it right, it will be the superior game. For now though, it's another poor performance from Konami.

Sarcasm taken in good spirit, boards.ie has surprised me.

FIFA does nail it in presentation and a lot of aspects of the game.
    I just cannot get to like the floaty ball nature of the game however.
    I bought Road To The World Cup back in 97 and the next years FIFA and stopped getting it for ten years until FIFA 10 and lo and behold the floaty beach ball feeling is still there.
    Also the press X addicts and you just have to can't beat them, join them nature of gameplay.
    One touch pinging the ball around and every game feels pretty much the same after a while.
    Their new demo is the same as last years game.

Last years PES went off the rails (or on rails with the automatic nature of movement by players) in quiet a number of aspects.
    I think this years PES has a lot more of the feeling of PES 6 and they are finally getting to grips with what went wrong the last 3 years.
    I don't care about menus.

They need to build on this years game and go from there.

Looking forward to playing as Tottenham in this new one.

Sarcasm taken in good spirit, boards.ie has surprised me.

FIFA does nail it in presentation and a lot of aspects of the game.
    I just cannot get to like the floaty ball nature of the game however.
    I bought Road To The World Cup back in 97 and the next years FIFA and stopped getting it for ten years until FIFA 10 and lo and behold the floaty beach ball feeling is still there.
    Also the press X addicts and you just have to can't beat them, join them nature of gameplay.
    One touch pinging the ball around and every game feels pretty much the same after a while.
    Their new demo is the same as last years game.

Last years PES went off the rails (or on rails with the automatic nature of movement by players) in quiet a number of aspects.
    I think this years PES has a lot more of the feeling of PES 6 and they are finally getting to grips with what went wrong the last 3 years.
    I don't care about menus.

They need to build on this years game and go from there.

Looking forward to playing as Tottenham in this new one.

I intend on buying both, but I'll probably be buying Pro Evo first. I suppose that means it's on the mend. Like I said, if they get it right, they'll put FIFA to the sword. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I bought Road To The World Cup as well, and then the actual World Cup cash-in game a few months later. They were the last football games I bought for 10 years, due to my falling out of love with all things joystick.

I bought Pro Evo 2008, and borrowed FIFA 08, found neither satisfying, then chanced upon a second-hand copy of Pro Evo 2006 for €10. It was a bit of a surprise to find that it outplayed both 'next-gen' titles.

Here's to the future, and the mythical perfect game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭RonFan

IMO Both games had gone off the rails. Pes 6 and Fifa 08 both had the basics done so well, but they messed it up by trying to advance the gameplay too fast. I think (based on the demo) this years fifa has gone back to the feeling fifa 08 had, with the improvements they felt necessary done well. Still not perfect but will probably be the best yet. Pro Evo seems to be getting back on the right track also, but is technically inferior to FIFA by years.

Pro Evo received 89% in PSM3's review, looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I downloaded both demos and while I cannot be conclusive. I still prefer fifa. The whole atmosphere of the game is what attracts me. Scoring in pro evo seemed a little too much anti-climatic for me.
    My 2c! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cloud89

I was a massive Pro Evo head ever since the Iss Series. If a freind even put Fiffa in I refused to play it. But I think Konami have really struggled to bring there game from the PS2 to the PS3 OR 360. But i believe eventually Pro Evo will be bback but when who knows. It will be Fiffa this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

FIFA is definately more fluid and the passing is a lot easier but a little too easy. All you have to do i press x and it will usually go to a player on your team. Same with tackling too easy on FIFA all you have to do is hold down x and your defender will win 95% of the challenges. If you do that an pro-evo 80% of the time you will give away a free, which is better.

Graphics, Close call, player animations are better on Pro Evo but the overall graphics has to go to FIFA. Both are excellent though.

Goals, The goals you score on pro-evo are way better. In Fifa its always the same goal you score. In pro-evo there is a larger selection of goals. plus its easier to score from Corners and crosses. Its next to impossible on FIFA but that is probably just me.

If you just want to pick up the controller and play a game every now and again then FIFA is your game cause its easier and the controls, passing and shooting is easier. If its a game your willing to put some time and effort in to then pro-evo is your game. Its a lot harder to get your passing and through balls right but when you do the sense of achievemnet is great.

Overall I'd say pro-evo is the better but harder game. FIFA is still class but there isn't enough of an improvement over last year to justify forking out another 50euro.

Online is a big factor. If pro get it right this year I'll definately purchase it. If not I'll prob go with FIFA.

Both great games though. Pro-Evo big improvement on last few years though which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

having played and bought pro evo soccer up until pro evo 2009 i was never impressed with fifa. i lost a bet and ended up having to buy a copy of fifa 2010 while my friend got pro evo 2010, how pissed off was he. we all know what a disappointing game that turned out to be.

after playing both demos, pro evo has greatly improved but in my opinion still lacks behind fifa. fifa is alot like last years but for sheer atmosphere and polished gaming i know i'll be getting fifa again this year,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

AthAnRi wrote: »
    FIFA is definately more fluid and the passing is a lot easier but a little too easy. All you have to do i press x and it will usually go to a player on your team. Same with tackling too easy on FIFA all you have to do is hold down x and your defender will win 95% of the challenges. If you do that an pro-evo 80% of the time you will give away a free, which is better.

Graphics, Close call, player animations are better on Pro Evo but the overall graphics has to go to FIFA. Both are excellent though.

Goals, The goals you score on pro-evo are way better. In Fifa its always the same goal you score. In pro-evo there is a larger selection of goals. plus its easier to score from Corners and crosses. Its next to impossible on FIFA but that is probably just me.

If you just want to pick up the controller and play a game every now and again then FIFA is your game cause its easier and the controls, passing and shooting is easier. If its a game your willing to put some time and effort in to then pro-evo is your game. Its a lot harder to get your passing and through balls right but when you do the sense of achievemnet is great.

Overall I'd say pro-evo is the better but harder game. FIFA is still class but there isn't enough of an improvement over last year to justify forking out another 50euro.

Online is a big factor. If pro get it right this year I'll definately purchase it. If not I'll prob go with FIFA.

Both great games though. Pro-Evo big improvement on last few years though which is good.

Ya thats been the thing with me too that pro evo I found was always harder.Just with playing against friends I notice the difference in passing especially,like they cud hit a blind pass in fifa and it would usually go to one of there players,whereas in pro you always had to be that bit more precise.
    Just seemed to me the more skilled players liked pro evo(o o o controversial)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Finally got round to playing both demos.
    I really wanted to like fifa this year because everyone seems to be playing it but I just can't.Everything seems so crowded when passing through midfield and why is the map still so bad,when I break up an attack an counter,the first thing I do is check the map to see where my players are and base my attack around that.Well i think its poor in comparsion to pro evo.
    I think fifa betters pro in everything bar the gameplay which is way I'll probably get pro this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Ya thats been the thing with me too that pro evo I found was always harder.Just with playing against friends I notice the difference in passing especially,like they cud hit a blind pass in fifa and it would usually go to one of there players,whereas in pro you always had to be that bit more precise.

In fairness, even my granny knows proper gamers like pro evo and fifa is for 13 year old kids that copy david beckhams haircut.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Took a gamble on switching back to pro evo this year and looking like it paid off, absolutely loving it, passing system has come on leaps and bounds, can play some lovely through balls with the new system, shooting is going to take a while getting used to but for the meanwhile tapping the x button seems to work for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PerrinV2 wrote: »

Maybe back in the day (when I was a mad Pro Evo head myself for years) but FIFA has been by far the more realistic (and more difficult) football sim in recent years while PES has wandered down the arcade kickabout route. To be honest nothing much has changed this year. PES 2011 is a bit better alright compared to the last few years but it still lags a good distance behind FIFA. There are things that annoy me about FIFA this year like dribbling being insanely difficult against defenders that can constantly barge 90% of attackers off the ball at will but PES still doesn't compare to it's heyday of Pro Evo 6. There are too many things wrong with it to warrant any more than maybe a 7 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Can someone tell me if Konami have sorted the online side yet? I've bought PES2-PES2010 but got FIFA10 last year and haven't played pro evo since. It's all about online for me and PES of the past has been disgracefully unplayable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

niallk wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if Konami have sorted the online side yet? I've bought PES2-PES2010 but got FIFA10 last year and haven't played pro evo since. It's all about online for me and PES of the past has been disgracefully unplayable IMO.

I had three games online on Pro Evo so far. All of the three games ran smoothly, although for a goal kick/corner kick, the kicker seemed to take only one step to reach the ball. But this didn't affect the overall play of the game. So it is a definite improvment over last year.

Advertisement