Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirtakon 15th -17th October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Doom and Scavenger takin' Xinkai to da burnz ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Not so sure about this, I haven't watched any anime in a long time.

But I still apparently know more about it than say, your hypothetical average person who moderates the anime forum on boards.ie :p

cause its absolute ****e,
    we all loved it when we were young and had dreams about living in japan.
    I havent seen a good anime in years, last one i had hopes for was Paprika and it was utter ****e.

Placebo wrote: »
    I havent seen a good anime in years, last one i had hopes for was Paprika and it was utter ****e.
    Check out Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Detroit Metal City and Cat **** One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Not so sure about this, I haven't watched any anime in a long time.

But I still apparently know more about it than say, your hypothetical average person who moderates the anime forum on boards.ie :p

You really shouldn't abuse poor Art_Wolf like this...

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Indeed doom I did, but Anto offered, and I only took it after 10 minutes of me saying no. He will confirm this, as I felt bad on taking it...

And what I mean is Eirtakon, Nom-Con etc are anime cons. And everyone off the forum is coming to take part in the fighting games, and not attend the con, to enjoy anime and such. It'd be like a man who speaks logic going to a Star Trek con and telling everyone why star trek will never be real... Or something like that >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Xinkai wrote: »
    Indeed doom I did, but Anto offered, and I only took it after 10 minutes of me saying no. He will confirm this, as I felt bad on taking it...

And what I mean is Eirtakon, Nom-Con etc are anime cons. And everyone off the forum is coming to take part in the fighting games, and not attend the con, to enjoy anime and such. It'd be like a man who speaks logic going to a Star Trek con and telling everyone why star trek will never be real... Or something like that >_>

Xinkai my good man you are talking out of your arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Terrible analogy to be fair. I think more the merrier should be the prime focus ^^

And it's not like the fighting game peeps are going to Eirtakon on purpose ruin everything lol

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Just like to butt in here and say that Eirtakon (and indeed pretty much every anime con I've been to/heard of) is a very inclusive, wide-ranging event that attracts all sorts - hardcore anime fans, 14 year-old cosplay fanatics, gamers from every corner of the community (you'll notice the CCG tournaments being run throughout the weekend in addition to a variety of console games), people interested in the panels, fans of our guests, bargain hunters and, god help them, even a few curious types who want to learn more :)

It's long been the way with Eirtakon that we've attracted a lot of gamers and we do our best to cater to that, we think it's cool that dozens of people turn up every year just to take part in the tournaments. Heck probably more people turn up to play games than watch anime, I mean who goes to an anime con to watch anime?!

Anyway point is there's absolutely no animosity between gamers/eirtaku/etc types, it's pretty much the equivalent of a dog biting off its tail to spite itself :)

At pretty much any anime con I've been to in the past, the gaming area will always be more populated than screening rooms (unless something very special is on). So yeah, going to a convention with a selection of video games in order to play video games hardly seems like ruining it, Xinkai. :/

Anime-folk from my experience seem to be the most welcoming kind of geek, so I'm sure they won't mind videogamers showing up and being the "wrong" type of geek!

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    Just like to butt in here and say that Eirtakon (and indeed pretty much every anime con I've been to/heard of) is a very inclusive, wide-ranging event that attracts all sorts - hardcore anime fans, 14 year-old cosplay fanatics, gamers from every corner of the community (you'll notice the CCG tournaments being run throughout the weekend in addition to a variety of console games), people interested in the panels, fans of our guests, bargain hunters and, god help them, even a few curious types who want to learn more :)

It's long been the way with Eirtakon that we've attracted a lot of gamers and we do our best to cater to that, we think it's cool that dozens of people turn up every year just to take part in the tournaments. Heck probably more people turn up to play games than watch anime, I mean who goes to an anime con to watch anime?!

Anyway point is there's absolutely no animosity between gamers/eirtaku/etc types, it's pretty much the equivalent of a dog biting off its tail to spite itself :)

:D

Yay Mark and your awesome ways of putting things! <3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Xinkai, seriously, quit while you're behind!

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    . Heck probably more people turn up to play games than watch anime, I mean who goes to an anime con to watch anime?!

Yeah I used to attend cons quite a bit back in the day, it was always more about the social aspect than the actual subject matter, meeting people who share your passions is always cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

That would be more like us going there to play in the video game tournaments and then going around telling everyone anime is ****, which I cant imagine any of us doing that. Except Farz.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I'm all good, i get to enjoy the gaming aspect and i also get to to enjoy the anime con. ( happy days for me since i love both:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Xinkai, im gonna steal your girlfriend for slagging us. All's fair is Love and Anime.

WOO EIRTAKON!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

It'd be like a man who speaks logic going to a Star Trek con and telling everyone why star trek will never be real... Or something like that >_>

I think this is the worst thing I have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

If there's a Magic tournament I'm going to pro it up there too because I'm going just to ruin peoples good times.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

*wishes there was a RockBand set up I could kill all the fun of*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Orim wrote: »
    If there's a Magic tournament I'm going to pro it up there too because I'm going just to ruin peoples good times.

Then I guess it's a good thing there isn't?
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    *wishes there was a RockBand set up I could kill all the fun of*

*takes Rock Band off of the list*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

And everyone off the forum is coming to take part in the fighting games, and not attend the con, to enjoy anime and such.

Say that to the smoking hole in my wallet left by all the figures and models I bought at Nom-Con. :pac:

Say that to the smoking hole in my wallet left by all the figures and models I bought at Nom-Con. :pac:

Thank god I didn't have the time to stick around, I've had a strong urge to get some revoltech figures for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Don't know about you fags but I'm going for the jail bait. Street Fighter can off.

Xinkai hook me up? safe.

Right number one lads, I know I went on about my gf, fair enough. Can you please leave her out of this? Out of respect please?

And ok, my analogy about star trek was terrible I admit lol. I had something else to compare it to, but my mind went blank. I was just in a bad mood was all. Ok, I still don't find it fair a bit, but Eirta is there to be enjoyed by all, as Mark said. I hereby welcome you all to attend Eirtakon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Have some respect lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Out of interest Xinkai what do you think isn't fair about it? Not trying to troll or anything, just wondering your reasoning and I can't follow your star trek analogy. We're trying to promote the community more than anything (as with the majority of events these days, Inferno is the only serious business one down south really), it can't be worse promotion than not showing up in the first place.

Bush80 wrote: »
    Have some respect lads

fu
    > : |

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Out of interest Xinkai what do you think isn't fair about it? Not trying to troll or anything, just wondering your reasoning and I can't follow your star trek analogy. We're trying to promote the community more than anything (as with the majority of events these days, Inferno is the only serious business one down south really), it can't be worse promotion than not showing up in the first place.

I just don't think it's fair that us, the definition of pro SF players in Ireland. (By which I mean we're serious players)

Going to an anime convention, and playing, and 99% positive that one of us is going to win, a fighting games tournament where the attendees and people that reg for the tournament are no more that

1. Don't play the game
    2. Sign up to play for pure ****s and giggles
    3. Just play at cons

Now put yourself in those positions, they walk in, expecting to have a laugh & play SF, come up against one of us, lose and get destroyed woefully, and get pissed off because they didn't have a good time and they got put in a bad mood for the entire day.

Once again I've lost the plot here and completley forgotten what I was gonna say, so I'm gonna end it here before I start comparing Yu-Gi-Oh & Pokemon fans :pac:

I just don't think it's fair that us, the definition of pro SF players in Ireland. (By which I mean we're serious players)

Going to an anime convention, and playing, and 99% positive that one of us is going to win, a fighting games tournament where the attendees and people that reg for the tournament are no more that

1. Don't play the game
    2. Sign up to play for pure ****s and giggles
    3. Just play at cons

Now put yourself in those positions, they walk in, expecting to have a laugh & play SF, come up against one of us, lose and get destroyed woefully, and get pissed off because they didn't have a good time and they got put in a bad mood for the entire day.

Once again I've lost the plot here and completley forgotten what I was gonna say, so I'm gonna end it here before I start comparing Yu-Gi-Oh & Pokemon fans :pac:

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

For one,I think we all play SF to have a laugh and if anyone gets destroyed and is in a bad mood for the day and pissed I'd say they're mentally unstable anyway and have serious issues

Sure if we all had that attitude there would be no scene as we'd all be sulking after joining boards and getting battered by Azza.
    The whole idea is to spread the word to none SF folk or people that have a passing interest and the best way to do that is to see it being played competitively by the best

we could get a banger at the expo.Someones thats crap at the game to entice other non sf players into playing.
    Xinxai..you offering:pac:

Advertisement