Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirtakon 15th -17th October

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Great fun everyone! Sadly I won't be going to the games Expo :(

I will see you all next year at Eirtakon 2011!
    I showed up at Eirtakon with Fergus, who unfortunately got me addicted to SF, yet I suck.

D4RK ONION tokk the time to show me some ways to link to Ryu's ultra, which I 'm grateful for but I can't execute ultras when I want to. :o
    Also Brawl tournament was fun, I cam 4th because everyone forgot I was there until only 2 people left in all matches except Finals. They killed me first. :p
    Good games to everyone there, especially ONION. Cheer for the pointers + Makoto tips :) I'll keep practicing :P

You guys should try to come along to casuals, or if it's too much of a journey to Dublin city you should try to come to our inferno tournaments, they're on once a month. A good time is had by all and you'll learn alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Or you could play BlazBlue. We're worse at our game so you might have a chance*:D

We also don't hold down-back all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Voa wrote: »
    Or you could play BlazBlue. We're worse at our game so you might have a chance*:D

We also don't hold down-back all day long.
    Plus with BB you can mash buttons and still get a combo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Blame OpenOffice.org Calc's RAND() function :P

Nah, I'm blaming you. You should've rigged it so that I'd get to the finals or something! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Great games, not sure who it was (i'm horrible for names) showed me how to "beat" xinkai's dam sakura combo and complimented my Bison play, Thanks ;)

I honestly thought all these "pros" where going to be "I'm better than you so piss off." But really good group and hope to meet ya again.

Also I think it was Doom who knocked me out with his Guile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, many thanks to everyone from here who turned up, played, gave a hand, loaned games etc. etc.

Definitely am bearing things that were mentioned in mind for next year. Time set aside for the tournament was a definite issue this year, but every year is an experiment really with how things work.

Doom, Onion, we'll get the pads shipped out soon :P
    Hotaru wrote: »
    Nah, I'm blaming you. You should've rigged it so that I'd get to the finals or something! :p

Well how am I supposed to know in advance who the lesser-skilled people are, so that I can stack stuff in people's favour? :D

Well how am I supposed to know in advance who the lesser-skilled people are, so that I can stack stuff in people's favour? :D

Hell if he did this we would not get the comedy gold of a girl never playing before getting to the second round cause I told her to hammer x3 Kicks as zangief :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Doom, Onion, we'll get the pads shipped out soon :P

You'll have trouble doing that cause DO already has both of them :p He picked them up just after the closing ceremony.

So DooM! Orim has your pad :D

You were staff... you're supposed to know everything. Duh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

You guys should try to come along to casuals, or if it's too much of a journey to Dublin city you should try to come to our inferno tournaments, they're on once a month. A good time is had by all and you'll learn alot!

Trust me DooM, I'd love too. I was actually at Inferno 11 but left eary due to being knocked out and I wanted to catch the Ger-Arg match. Traveling from Galway to Dub 1-2 times a week can't happen with a lack of funds but Eirtakon was a good bit of craic. I may have to try coming once or twice a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

So DooM! Orim has your pad :D

This is not the pad you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You'll have trouble doing that cause DO already has both of them :p He picked them up just after the closing ceremony.

Ah, well that settles that then! But why not get them on stage when called by Stephen while I cowered behind afraid to move in case I completely fell over?
    *crosses off of post-con to-do list*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ah, well that settles that then! But why not get them on stage when called by Stephen while I cowered behind afraid to move in case I completely fell over?
    *crosses off of post-con to-do list*

Onion was too busy showing off repping the Rock Band forum to come down and collect his prize at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭J.I.M.

Hey everybody, I'm the Guy player who was dressed as Hazama. I think it was D4RK ONION who talked me into the forums :p

I had a really great time playing with everyone! None of my friends play fighting games, so it was really fun playing offline matches with good people. Looking forward to a next tournament/casuals/whatever! :D

J.I.M. wrote: »
    Hey everybody, I'm the Guy player who was dressed as Hazama. I think it was D4RK ONION who talked me into the forums :p

I had a really great time playing with everyone! None of my friends play fighting games, so it was really fun playing offline matches with good people. Looking forward to a next tournament/casuals/whatever! :D

exactly the same here. while a lot of my friends did play sf and bb they fell into the game of the month fad and stopped playing so only online for me. But playing like that was a whole new experience

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Youhall(not sure how it was spelt). Yeah had some greats games with ya. I was the ragna on saturday who played Blazblue cs ragna ^^

chueytoo wrote: »
    Youhall(not sure how it was spelt). Yeah had some greats games with ya. I was the ragna on saturday who played Blazblue cs ragna ^^

Rawgna! Damn you were really good! I would've loved to have more matches against you today (or yesterday, technically?), but alas, I had a train to catch. Oh and yeah, it's Juho ;) You were Joe, right? (I dunno, have a horrible name memory)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I honestly thought all these "pros" where going to be "I'm better than you so piss off." But really good group and hope to meet ya again.

Welcome!

That's the greatest thing about this community. The top players always try to improve those who are getting into the game. If one of them beats you, you'll always get advice on how to fare better the next time.

exactly the same here. while a lot of my friends did play sf and bb they fell into the game of the month fad and stopped playing so only online for me. But playing like that was a whole new experience

Hey guys! Obviously, I was the guy everyone was calling Doom.

Nice to see you showed up here, you both seemed cool. I was pretty shattered when we actually got to talking :)

Playing offline is where it's at, it's literally like playing a different game without lag (and also because the guy beside you may be nice and offer advice like "stop jumping like that, it's really obvious").

There's no difference between the "pro" players and anyone else here btw, the only real difference is they get much more slagging when they lose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Was a pretty good weekend, GGs all round.

I was the guy with the ponytail and glasses (and incomprehensible northern accent) mostly playing Guile, for those unfamiliar with my lovable self. :)

Was great to have games with guys that were on my level so we could have some entertaining back and forth (as opposed to walking all over button mashers or making futile last stands against the big time players), was a shame we often had to abandon good sets to let kids on the machine to button mash but I suppose that comes with playing at a con. :o

Shame I never got to play in the SF tournament since the organisers never called me up (they claimed to have looked all round but they must have horribly mangled my name like they did with some other peoples - I was probably standing right beside the guy while he was looking for "Merkle McDerpaderp" or something :pac:).

BB didn't really get any love but without a proper CS setup with the whole cast there wasn't much hope. Once the game comes out I'll definately re-learn Noel for those times when we're stuck with the base cast (my scrubby off-the-cuff Tager play didn't really cut it, especially not against a decent Hazama).

I didn't really pick up any names as I went so I probably encountered some previously unknown boardsies without noticing. :p

Hey Doom, you were the Guile player, right? I wanted to try my Guy against your Guile and see if I could air-throw you out of your air-throw ^^ Well, hopefully there'll be a next time. Are people going to Gamer-Expo? Or wait, is there a another thread about that? Need to lurk moar ><
    Nice to see you showed up here, you both seemed cool. I was pretty shattered when we actually got to talking :)

What do you mean? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hey Doom, you were the Guile player, right? I wanted to try my Guy against your Guile and see if I could air-throw you out of your air-throw ^^ Well, hopefully there'll be a next time. Are people going to Gamer-Expo? Or wait, is there a another thread about that? Need to lurk moar ><

What do you mean? :confused:

Guy's air throw indeed beats Guiles. Only one in the game. It's one of 4 match ups where I try to stay 99% grounded!

There's a stickied thread about Gamer expo at the top of the forum. I'll be there every day- I'm running the SF.ie stand! We can definitely get some games in, I wanted to anyways.

By shattered I mean I was really tired, I was feeling unwell by the end of the tournament (my voice actually went for about an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Guy's air throw indeed beats Guiles. Only one in the game. It's one of 4 match ups where I try to stay 99% grounded!

There's a stickied thread about Gamer expo at the top of the forum. I'll be there every day- I'm running the SF.ie stand! We can definitely get some games in, I wanted to anyways.

By shattered I mean I was really tired, I was feeling unwell by the end of the tournament (my voice actually went for about an hour).

Other 3 please?

I'll offer one of mine: Blanka :cool:

Other 3 please?

I'll offer one of mine: Blanka :cool:

Sagat, Ryu (with meter espcially) and Rog (with meter especially).

Generally if I land an air throw on these characters I've jumped on reaction.

Right, I thought you meant that we seemed pretty cool, but then the coolness was shattered when we got to talking XD Also saw the stickied thread, gonna check that out now, still don't know if I'm gonna make it to Gamer-expo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

edit: wrong thread, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Good game in the tournament. Sorry for walking off in the final round. I thought it was over! :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hello to all the new people :) Glad to see my constant harassment got ye onto the forums eventually :D I was the guy running around screaming people's names badly (learn to write) and playing Honda and Makoto. Good games to anyone I played, hope to see ye come along to inferno's. :)

ah yes. the guy who told me i had a random dudley and good bison and gave out to xinkai for abusing me. (he did things :() nice to know its you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

He abused you? How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

What did I do!?

images-2.jpg

Advertisement