Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low growing shrub with some attribute

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I'd love some advice on some low-growing shrubs (1m -ish) for a neutral/lime(y) soil.
    It would be great to have some that are either scented, have good foliage or autumn colour, berries etc.
    (I'd be happy with just one :) )

Most things I've found are either for acid soils only or are coniferous type.
    I'm about 2km from the east coast - and its sheltered, south facing and sunny.

It's for my in-laws who are getting on a bit so reduced maintenance would be a bonus.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Well, the obvious one is lavender.
    Its evergreen, tough and you can get small ones

Then theres
    Californian Lilac, you can get low growing ones, again evergreen with nice blue flowers

Hebe's
    Although they can be a bit frost prone

Spira
    Nice fresh spring foliage with summer flowers

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Prostrate ceonothus, get a good quality one and it will reward with dark glossy mounds of leaves and pretty purple flowers for quite a long period in late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Rosa 'The Fairy' comes in Red (recommended) Pink, White , Yellow...
    2 feet tall/wide.... masses of flowers from june onwards...

I never spray my Red and rarely have issues with Black Spot....If you Prune hard every late winter you'll have a better plant

Advertisement