Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eos 5 film custom settings

• 16-09-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all, first post here.

I have an eos 5 film camera for years an although i bought all the tanks an chemicals I only ever developed a few films B+W myself because any time I did I seemed to screw up loading the film onto the spiral, and scratched the film. Today it was explained to me that I was probibly cutting the film across the sprocket holes because i was using the opener that came with the kit. the nice guys at camera exchange gave me some tape they use tho pull the leader out and cut and round it in the light before going into total darkness.
    My question is does anyone know if there is a custom function on my camera to leave the leader out to save the fishing? and if so how to do. dont have the manual, well lost it somewhere on computer.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Yes there is a custom function on the eos 5 to leave the leader out, I used to use it.
    Have a look here to find out which one it is.
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_eos_5/canon_eos_5.htm

http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_eos_5-1.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_eos_5-2.pdf

EDIT:
    It's CF 2, in the 2nd pdf file above.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭redto

Cheers , thanks Uprising. will check the links out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

or just buy one of these:
    http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/008/0085lE-17759284.jpg

takes the film leader out in seconds with a little practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got one of those before dot org and found it useless.
    I just use a bottle opener and take the film out that way.

will try to set camera first dot but if no joy then where would i go lookin for one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

any decent camera shop that sells film stuff should stock them - i have no idea were in dublin but camera exchange? gunns? or you could try flea-bay. i use one and it's dead easy - and handy if you're doing things like double exposures. i also have an ilford opener yoke for taking the bottom off film canisters and it's never damaged the film which i've seen for sale on e-bay and jessops.

I had one of those opening things. my problem was not with the opening but with dooing it in the dark, apparently I was not cutting the leader off the film neatly or cutting a sproket hole in half in the dark. I would wind up (excuse pun) jamming the film when winding it onto the spiral. Just thought if i could set camera to leave leader out i could trim it in the light then open the canister an load the spiral in the dark. think i will have to wait until im changing film to set camera function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

It's better just to set your camera, no messing about with silly gadget's etc.
    Also cut your film in a round cornered curve and add a little washing up liquid or wetting agent to the spiral to help loading and use 24 exposures instead of 36 as they usually start getting stuck about there.

Practice loading a spare film in daylight to get the feel and see what's going wrong when.

EDIT:
    You can just set it now with film in the camera. Go to CF, go to CF2, it says 1 or 0, set it to 1, thats it, can't remember exactly what to press but it should take about 2 secs to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

uprising2 wrote: »
    no messing about with silly gadget's etc.

they're only silly if you use them wrong ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I'm not sure how cutting through the sprocket holes would make loading the film any more difficult. Maybe I've taken you up wrong. What way have you cut them?

Some film reels are easier to use than others. Gunns have one made by AP which looks better than any others I have used. Its hard to explain but they have an extra bit at the start of the reel which make loading the film much easier.

• Advertisement

thanks fizz and uprising. I'm going to practice with some old film, an then practice some more. In daylight to see what exactly is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Unless your film reel is totally different to the standard reels (that I assumed most people use) then the film sprocket holes shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I pop the lid of the 35mm canister in the dark all the time without issue and snip the leader in the dark bag.

2 things to help prevent issues getting the film on the reel:

1. Make sure the reel is bone dry (if necessary give the reel a blast of heat from a blow dryer before use)

2. I wear powder free latex gloves in the dark bag (prevents sweaty hands coming in contact with the film)

You want to keep the film as dry as possible in the dark bag, if it gets damp then it gets sticky, sticks to the reel and won't go on very easily.

thanks for tips will give it a try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jpb1974 wrote: »
    1. Make sure the reel is bone dry (if necessary give the reel a blast of heat from a blow dryer before use)

This bit is important !

I use one of those leader extractors, I used to curse it until the day I actually read the instructions. Now I can just get that leader out with one try. I prefer to get the leader out and trim it in daylight, and then retire to my blacked out bathroom to do the loading.

Advertisement