Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Speeds?

• 16-09-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please supply me with a list of exchanges and the speeds capable from them ?

I was getting 3Mb from eircom for the last year or more and recently decided to move to Vodafone and avail of there "up to 8Mb" options.........i assumed my exchange was capable of more than 3Mb because the 7.6Mb option was always available for me to upgrade too from Eircom. But vodafone tell me my exchange is just a standard one and not an Enhanced one........and so the max. i can get is 3........

Can anyone explain this to me ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

thats complete bull every exchange on ADSL 1 has a max of 7mb not 3mb enchanced exchanges will only give a max of 8mb vodafone are talking out their arse..maybe your line can only handle 3mb but theres noway that an exchange can only handle 3mb have you been able to get over 3mb before now ?<a href="{smilies}/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" smilieid="9" class="inlineimg" />

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All exchanges are technically capable of the same thing. Your line, and the connection to the exchange are a different thing all together. The list you're looking for doesn't exist, and won't help you. If your line can't handle more than 3Mbps, then that's all you'll ever get.

eircom control everything out of the exchanges anyway, and it may be that they will not let eircom sell anything above 3Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Here's my line stats:
    CurrRate(kbps)--Upstream 384--Downstream 3072
    MaxRate(kbps)--Upstream 1348--Downstream 12032
    NoiseMargin(dB)--Upstream 18.0--Downstream 27.8
    Attenuation(dB)--Upstream 17.0--Downstream 7.5
    Power(dBm)--Upstream 0.1--Downstream 6.4

I think these are good enough stats to get well over 3Mb..........

Vodafone are telling me theres a limit imposed by my package !?!

They say the "value package" is 3mb if on a standard exchange, or up to 8 on an enhanced exchange.

Does this sound correct ? Has anyone else expierenced this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like you might be synching at 12mbits but with a 3mbit port, I wonder if you are on one of the BT LLU exchanges there like Swords ??? These are all in cities or along railway lines.

edit, here is the list

Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Dublin North Main, Terenure, Merrion, Crown Alley, Beggars Bush, Swords, Clondalkin, Summerhill, Blanchardstown, Whitehall, Belcamp, Foxrock, Naas, Dooradoyle (Limerick), Navan, Kilkenny City, Douglas (Cork), Ballincollig (Cork) and Greystones (Wicklow).

Im not an any of those exchanges, am based in County Monaghan.

Anyway i took a look at the vodafone website and found the following explanation.....the last paragraph applies to me........vodafone are basically saying that if your not on one of Eircom's new NGB exchanges then they limit you to 3Mb..........

What does 'up to 8Mb' mean?
    With Vodafone broadband bundles, you get the best broadband experience your phone line can give, up to a maximum of 8Mb.

If your line supports Enhanced Broadband, you’ll get the fastest broadband speed your landline can support, up to a maximum of 8Mb. What’s more, the speed will be congestion free.

If your line doesn’t yet support Enhanced Broadband, you’ll get the fastest broadband speed that your landline can support, up to a maximum of 3Mb - but we’re currently expanding our Enhanced Broadband service across the country and once it's available on your line, we’ll automatically upgrade you for free, giving you congestion-free, consistent speeds whenever you go online.

• Advertisement

eircom have a mixture of

1. ADSL1 Exchanges
    2. ADSL2 Exchanges no NGB
    3. ADSL2 Exchanges with NGB ( meaning fibre for sure)

Here is a list of the monaghan exchanges and whether they have older ADSL1 gear or newer ADSL2 gear. There are no NGB enable dexchanges in Monaghan.

Name Code Enabled Adsl 1 or 2
    ANNYALLA AYL 42 n 0
    BALLYBAY BBA 42 y 1
    BROOMFIELD BRM 42 y 2
    CLONTIBRET CBT 47 y 1
    CARRICKMACROSS CCS 42 y 2
    CLONES CNE 46 y 1
    CASTLESHANE CSS 47 y 1
    CASTLEBLAYNEY CSY 42 y 1
    EMYVALE EMV 47 y 1
    GLASSLOUGH GLS 47 n 0
    INNISKEEN ISK 42 y 1
    MONAGHAN MGN 47 y 2
    NEWBLISS NBS 47 y 2
    ORAM ?? 47 y 2
    ROCKCORRY RKY 42 n 0
    SMITHBOROUGH SBH 47 y 1
    SCOTSTOWN SCT 47 y 1
    STRANOODEN SON 42 n 0
    SCOTSHOUSE STH 47 y 2
    TULLYNAHINERA TNH 42 y 2

According to that list the exchange in my Town has older ADSL 1 equipment......

Some smaller rural villages have the ADSL2 equipment.......

Am i right in saying that the older ADSL1 equipment gives speeds upto 12Mb and the newer ADSL2 equipment is upto 24Mb ?

Is there anyone i can contact to ask about when my exchange might be upgraded !?

Older is up to 8mbits and newer up to 24mbits. Smaller towns have newer gear and faster speeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Hi Sponge Bob,

Any idea when this exchange will be upgraded to DSL?

ANNYALLA AYL 42 n 0

Been waiting years, well since May 2004.

Advertisement